Can We Go a Bit Lighter on Fetch Quests in Ep. 3?

Krazy

On the whole, I enjoyed episodes 1-2, it was a solid 15 hours of content. The bear quest was a bit awkward, but it was still a significant improvement with much better payoff than the fetch quests. I feel like the fetch quests, collecting (X) number of materials for npc, just feels too "tutorial" for what is almost invariably going to be 10-15 hours into the game. "Find 8 mushrooms" as the penultimate quest to the bear quest in episode 2 felt particularly random. Considering episodes 1 and 2 both went REALLY heavy into fetch quests, I'd just like to throw out there that quests that aren't "get [x] mats for npc" would be really nice.

7 hours ago, BigMan81 said:

How would you change it? 

Give us quests with actual meaning or an actual story to them. Instead of "go to this place and grab this thing for me, then you will be rewarded with a cutscene before I send you off on another fetch quest", give us quests that integrate story and gameplay, quests where you meet other survivors (dunno if that's possible since Hinterland doesn't seem to have coded human AI), quests where you really feel an URGE to complete them - because let's be honest, nobody feels an urge to collect 10000 calories worth of food, that's just busywork. The "fetch -> cutscene -> fetch -> cutscene" routine needs to go, we need missions that are actually related to Will and Astrid.

Overall I can't say I enjoyed ep 1 (haven't played ep2 yet). This whole sequence of fetch, cutscene, fetch, cutscene is really uninspired and boring, and I can't help but feel that it wasn't worth the wait. Either way, I'm hopeful for ep 3, since the base game still has tons of potential.

3 hours ago, pi972 said:

Give us quests with actual meaning or an actual story to them. Instead of "go to this place and grab this thing for me, then you will be rewarded with a cutscene before I send you off on another fetch quest", give us quests that integrate story and gameplay, quests where you meet other survivors (dunno if that's possible since Hinterland doesn't seem to have coded human AI), quests where you really feel an URGE to complete them - because let's be honest, nobody feels an urge to collect 10000 calories worth of food, that's just busywork. The "fetch -> cutscene -> fetch -> cutscene" routine needs to go, we need missions that are actually related to Will and Astrid.

Overall I can't say I enjoyed ep 1 (haven't played ep2 yet). This whole sequence of fetch, cutscene, fetch, cutscene is really uninspired and boring, and I can't help but feel that it wasn't worth the wait. Either way, I'm hopeful for ep 3, since the base game still has tons of potential.

Agree.

20 minutes ago, Fuarian said:

Yeah, but there's not much else to do really. Nothing that doesn't take ridiculous amounts of work to acheive. Animation, VA and all that. 

You're right that making the NPCs accompany us would be a lot of work and at this point I don't honestly expect them to do that, but it wouldn't be that hard to include some missions/goals/quests that are actually related to Will and Astrid, have a plot (not just "grab a key for me" or "get mushrooms for me") as well as some sense of urgency (come on, go fetch food is just busywork and in no way do we feel *motivated* to actually do it. Especially when you complete 5 fetch quests and get the same response every time: "Thank you. Now collect just one more thing for me and I'll help you!")

1 hour ago, pi972 said:

You're right that making the NPCs accompany us would be a lot of work and at this point I don't honestly expect them to do that, but it wouldn't be that hard to include some missions/goals/quests that are actually related to Will and Astrid, have a plot (not just "grab a key for me" or "get mushrooms for me") as well as some sense of urgency (come on, go fetch food is just busywork and in no way do we feel *motivated* to actually do it. Especially when you complete 5 fetch quests and get the same response every time: "Thank you. Now collect just one more thing for me and I'll help you!")

Example; I'm dying here, get me some medication from across the river. Then as you go do that a wolfpack comes, if you don't have the means to fend them off or get injured then you may have to use the meds on yourself. Therefore not saving the person you got them for. If they die then you don't learn valuable information about where Astrid is etc... I'd like choices that have an impact. Do you let in the people being stalked by wolves or let them die? If you let them in they'll help you but if you don't you won't get knowledge that can help you. 

1 hour ago, Boston123 said:

They have had three years.

Where they constantly were improving the game, updating sandbox, bug squashing, and rewriting and reworking existing Story Mode content. They didn't start working on it until 2015 anyways. 

Archived