General feedback

Salty Crackers

I've just started playing Story Mode, and it isn't as good as I thought it would be. I'm stuck in a boring tutorial, even though I already know how to play. The story isn't too bad, but the gameplay is ruined by the slow and imprecise UI. I'll keep playing and see if it gets any better.

Seriously, please fix the UI. I want bars.

After playing a little bit more (and calming down) I'm having more fun. After you get out of the tutorial section, you're on your own. You have a lot more freedom in what you do. The gameplay isn't honestly that bad. The UI does slow you down, but you get used to it. This does NOT mean that I like it. I still firmly believe it is inferior to the previous UI. I also noticed that you're starting to stray from the original artstyle. By giving all the items more detailed textures, you're taking away from the minimalistic artstyle I've come to love. It just feels like the item textures don't go with the terrain textures.

Now for nitpicking!

It seems you messed with almost all of the interactions. Things which should be instant (e.g. opening doors) now take time. I've resorted to enabling the CTS mode, but there still is a waiting period. With searching, instead of finding items periodically during the search, you find them all at the end. It felt better previously because it felt like your character actively was searching and finding items one at a time, not taking the items out and putting them in a pile. Getting all the items at the end kills the suspense of searching, and essentially the need for a search bar.

I like the new UI. I think it's great not to see that you are 78% full, but instead, it shows a "bar" with no numbers, so you get an indication of how full or thirsty you are. Just like in real life. You don't tell your family "Oh, I'm SO hungry, I have like 3% food in my tummy right now... 

I'm on episode 2. So far I'm enjoying it. It's really interesting to go through maps where I haven't memorized everything. The only real problem with the actual Story Mode is that there is way too much loot. It makes sense for the Story Mode to be less about resource management, but it feels completely negligible. Maybe it's because I'm used to Stalker, but it's just a little too easy for my tastes. 

13 hours ago, Zeppelin said:

You don't tell your family "Oh, I'm SO hungry, I have like 3% food in my tummy right now... 

Actually, since starting to play TLD, I jokingly say stuff like that all the time now! The last time I woke up with a hangover I said to my husband "I had a rough night; I think I've lost 40% condition".

Just logged in to contribute feedback as i'm stoked to see Hinterland is keeping a casual eye on the forums.

I'd like to try and make a logical argument that the difficulty in the 'on the rails' type needs to be altered to slightly easier than currently - hear me out, only until a set point is reached ( maybe the town) . As an experienced player i had a few moments in the very early hour of playing thinking, wow, this situation sucks because i'm stuffed and i had no control over it.

My example is I nearly died getting to the first logging building from the crash site. ( I have 120 hrs on sandbox) because the limitations of everything imposed on me (no ability to restore condition IE BEDROLL)  co-incided with a blizzard, tirdness, low condition,  and a... not really avoidable wolf attack ( You HAVE to walk past it in a canyon) 

Blizzards and deadly wolf attacks and other random bastardly acts of luck are ok when you have given the player time to prepare, IE, sandbox, Not when they are on the rails and haven't had a chance to make preperations.

In early story mode, because we've got poor equipment, i'd suggest something needs to be changed to stop 'unfair' killing off (particularly of new players) maybe Until they've got to the town anyway. 

Unfortunately the random bad luck element  this early on doesn't convey the feeling of intended 'realism' to the new players, only frustration.

One idea is If the player was given a bedroll , maybe an extra day of food, this might be enough, then you could say, okay, the player now has enough resources to survive the trip even if the worst happens , IE a blizzard and a strong wolf attack at the same time, and if he dies that's now the players fault because he was given the resources and could have survived but made bad decisions.

Another more simple option is to simply make extreme cold / blizzards not occur until such time player has had opportunity to obtain better clothes, or make the initial wolves slightly more avoidable.

The domino effect of having all the bad luck at once needs to be eased off a little. One or two little adjustments are all that is needed

thanks for your time, cheers.

21 hours ago, Zeppelin said:

I like the new UI. I think it's great not to see that you are 78% full, but instead, it shows a "bar" with no numbers, so you get an indication of how full or thirsty you are. Just like in real life. You don't tell your family "Oh, I'm SO hungry, I have like 3% food in my tummy right now... 

This Is correct :coffee:

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 6:58 PM, Zeppelin said:

I agree. Last night was the first time playing since before the Faithful cartographer update, so my first time experiencing the much-derided new UI. I sort of dismissed much of the criticism as 'people hate change (especially gamer people...)'.

I really like the realism of the impreciseness of the new UI. I'm just a dude dropped into a survival situation. I can see how high the sun is in the sky, and I know if I'm warm, getting cold or freezing. I don't know exactly how much time is left in the day, and I don't know the exact amount of cold I am feeling as a percentage. It's a good choice for realism, says I.

On 8/2/2017 at 2:14 AM, Salty Crackers said:

I'm on episode 2. So far I'm enjoying it. It's really interesting to go through maps where I haven't memorized everything. The only real problem with the actual Story Mode is that there is way too much loot. It makes sense for the Story Mode to be less about resource management, but it feels completely negligible. Maybe it's because I'm used to Stalker, but it's just a little too easy for my tastes. 

Look at it this way, at least you've got a damn Mainlander to blame now when yet another drawer search turns up nothing in Stalker. Normally those cupboards and drawers would be full for you in Survival Mode, it's just that MacKenzie got there first. Shake your fist at those empty lockers and bellow for catharsis effect, "MACKENZIEEEEEEEE!"

Archived