Forum has been getting lonely

JoE Smash

I wish there was a way for me to drum up more business and forum members. I search the forums everyday several times a day (I think I'm here more than most of the moderators) looking for new threads and I can't find anything.

I could make more threads myself, but I feel I make more than enough threads already... and that's with me intentionally trying not to make too many threads. 

I wish more people would ask questions or something. If it wasn't for like four other members and the moderators, I'd think I was here by myself.

I guess it's fitting in a way. The Long Dark forums are only slightly more populated than the game itself....

I guess I could start talking to the dead bodies....

Oh that reminds me, I found a dead body in one of the bunk beds in the trailer at the Log Sort in CH, and oddly enough I could still select that particular bed for sleeping. I did not obviously....because that would be weird. There was like 10 other beds that didn't have dead bodies in them where I could have slept instead.

Was that intentional, or an oversight? Should we still get the bed's warmth bonus if there is a frozen corpse in the bed? I would think a dead frozen guy would make the bed pretty cold. Finally how exactly would that work? The bed was a single and the dead guy was a bed hog. Would I be sleeping on top of the dead body, under it, or would it have been pushed up against the wall and spooning me?

Wait I thought of another question after looking at my own screen shot...

How did the dead guy get snow all over him? He was inside the trailer and there were no holes in the roof. Did it all build up on him the way ice builds up inside old freezers?

20170710001147_1.jpg

20170710001159_1.jpg

@JoE Smash The biggest question with your corpse story is why is he covered in snow. Did someone cover him in snow while he slept so he died of hypothermia?

Don't know if you ever played Fallout (3 or 4) but the best parts of that game are the little stories that are told throughout the environment , like waling into a bathroom of a dilapidated house and seeing a corpse on the floor next to an empty pill bottle and some whiskey, or a bathroom with a corpse in the bathtub holding a toaster. Or the placement of personal objects that might give you an insight into the lives of the people who lived in these houses and their fates. That would really enrich the player experience through the landscape of TLD Sandbox mode.

I'm very interested to see what the story mode would add to this sort of thing. 

43 minutes ago, JoE Smash said:

I wish more people would ask questions or something. If it wasn't for like four other members and the moderators, I'd think I was here by myself.

I guess it's fitting in a way. The Long Dark forums are only slightly more populated than the game itself....

Sorry, but being a long-term forum member here I seriously don't understand why you have this impression.

I've been around here for more than 2 years now and the current activity is definitely above average. There are times when people are more active (typically shortly before and after new updates) and times when there's less going on here. But that's just extremely natural for a video game forum. Especially for one that doesn't have hundreds of thousands of members.

I know you're new here, but please keep in mind two things:

1. Most suggestions and wishes have already been made in the past two years. Most of them over and over again. Most topics have already been discussed, also in many cases more than once. (We've had e.g. at least five threads about taming wolves or the effects of solar flares on compasses alone.) It's pointless to continue talking about the very same topics again and again for the old forum members. Many long-term members are still reading here (and possibly also answer to rare new ideas), but they grow tired responding to well-trodden topics. So yeah, it's kind of 'typical' for these forums that the newest members are also by far the most active ones. Which is hardly surprising.

2. TLD seems to have an older and more mature community than many other video games. Most people posting here on the forums are young or middle-aged (or in some cases older) adults, they have jobs and families. So they simply don't have time to hang around on some video game forum 24/7. Their free time is limited and only a small proportion of it is spent here on the HL forums. Which is a pretty healthy decision, imho, for one should always seek some balance in one's activities. ;)

Not sure what you're expecting this place to be, but it is simply a computer game forum.

If you're looking for a place where you can have discussions or get attention/entertainment/whatever truely every single hour of the day, a different kind of forum (or one with a much larger member base) would probably suit your needs better. Just saying.

1 hour ago, JoE Smash said:

How did the dead guy get snow all over him? He was inside the trailer and there were no holes in the roof. Did it all build up on him the way ice builds up inside old freezers?

Someone must have put him there like that!

He was found lying face-down outside with snow covering his back, legs and head. Someone (probably at least two people) lifted him up and carried him into the trailer, placing him on the top bunk. Presumably he was already dead, or they would surely have cleared the snow off him and laid him face up? Quite why they did this is a mystery, I guess, but perhaps they just wanted to prevent his body being eaten by bears or wolves?

1 hour ago, Scyzara said:

Sorry, but being a long-term forum member here I seriously don't understand why you have this impression.

I've been around here for more than 2 years now and the current activity is definitely above average. There are times when people are more active (typically shortly before and after new updates) and times when there's less going on here. But that's just extremely natural for a video game forum. Especially for one that doesn't have hundreds of thousands of members.

I know you're new here, but please keep in mind two things:

1. Most suggestions and wishes have already been made in the past two years. Most of them over and over again. Most topics have already been discussed, also in many cases more than once. (We've had e.g. at least five threads about taming wolves or the effects of solar flares on compasses alone.) It's pointless to continue talking about the very same topics again and again for the old forum members. Many long-term members are still reading here (and possibly also answer to rare new ideas), but they grow tired responding to well-trodden topics. So yeah, it's kind of 'typical' for these forums that the newest members are also by far the most active ones. Which is hardly surprising.

2. TLD seems to have an older and more mature community than many other video games. Most people posting here on the forums are young or middle-aged (or in some cases older) adults, they have jobs and families. So they simply don't have time to hang around on some video game forum 24/7. Their free time is limited and only a small proportion of it is spent here on the HL forums. Which is a pretty healthy decision, imho, for one should always seek some balance in one's activities. ;)

Not sure what you're expecting this place to be, but it is simply a computer game forum.

If you're looking for a place where you can have discussions or get attention/entertainment/whatever truely every single hour of the day, a different kind of forum (or one with a much larger member base) would probably suit your needs better. Just saying.

Typical passive aggressive The Long Dark moderator response full of insinuation and jabs about my age, maturity level, use of my free time, and that being enthusiastic and passionate about the game and community is in some way unhealthy.

So most of the same suggestions and wishes have been made about the game for OVER TWO YEARS, and they still haven't been implemented yet? Ouch, you are right....why should anyone waste their time here with suggestions and wishes. Clearly a lot of stuff is never going to end up in this game I guess....

Based on your explanation, I agree my 40 year old Biochemist self would be better off in almost any other game community than this one.

Thank you soooo much for preventing me from wasting more of my life here than my last two weeks. I'm certainly not getting any younger. Time is a valuable commodity and it would surely be better spent elsewhere!

Thank you for steering me straight @scyzara!

Just stop @JoE Smash, going after @Scyzara is certainly not the way to get new friends in this forum, she's the nicest person you will ever meet here, very well respected (Queen of the Hill ;)) and if you read any between-the-lines then something is wrong with you, not Scy. Her response was perfect and to the point, what she stated are facts - true facts, not the alternative ones you are digging out - and given how you presented yourself here, with kill-lists of (long term) forum members and naming your dislike of them in several threads you should be happy that anyone is responding to your threads at all, especially Scyzara. Think about why you reacted the way you did, then go on and change something about your attitude.

JoE, that was an extremely hostile response to a comment intended to be helpful and provide some context to your original post. No remarks were made about you or or your lifestyle.

It's normal in any discussion environment for there to be people who do not agree. Don't take it personally, and don't make negative personal comments about others. 

Locking this thread.

Archived