Should I report this?

Rada_

1 minute ago, chuckie said:

Recently I dropped a bottle of water so close to the door that couldn't pick it up, no matter how fine i aimed at the bottle, only door could be interacted with.

I dropped two matchboxes because I wanted to use the cardboard ones to light the torch and I lost them!

I simply reloaded the game and nothing was lost.

8 hours ago, Rada_ said:

I dropped two matchboxes because I wanted to use the cardboard ones to light the torch and I lost them!

This is just one of several interactions where our options/choices have been taken away.. rather ironic, when you consider that a couple of times during testing, @Patrick Carlson reiterated that giving the player choices and options was at the very heart of what TLD was about.

32 minutes ago, JAFO said:

This is just one of several interactions where our options/choices have been taken away.. rather ironic, when you consider that a couple of times during testing, @Patrick Carlson reiterated that giving the player choices and options was at the very heart of what TLD was about.

I'd like to have the option to climb *down* ropes over-encumbered.

I don't mind change so much but I sure would appreciate a heads up/having *all* changes mentioned in the patch notes when game mechanics are modified so I don't get blindsided :)  

1 minute ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

I don't mind change so much but I sure would appreciate a heads up when game mechanics are modified so I don't get blindsided :)  

Just wait until you try opening a can with the tool of your choice! >:(

9 hours ago, Rada_ said:

Upon entering the Lighthouse in Desolation Point, if you drop something small gets lost under the carpet (or whatever that thing is)

9 hours ago, Rada_ said:

I simply reloaded the game and nothing was lost.

Yes, these incidents absolutely should be reported!

8 minutes ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

If there's no longer a choice given, hope it's in this order: can-opener->hatchet->knife.

I think it's can-opener->hatchet->knife->smash.. (depending on what you have, of course)

Edit: Actually, I think it's whatever tool has the best condition, is the one that's selected for you by the game.

The problem comes when, in the early game especially, you'd prefer to take the hit to your calories by smashing the can, rather than losing condition on your precious solitary knife or hatchet. That choice has been taken away from us.

3 minutes ago, JAFO said:

I think it's can-opener->hatchet->knife->smash.. (depending on what you have, of course)

Edit: Actually, I think it's whatever tool has the best condition, is the one that's selected for you by the game.

The problem comes when, in the early game especially, you'd prefer to take the hit to your calories by smashing the can, rather than losing condition on your precious solitary knife or hatchet. That choice has been taken away from us.

Thank you SO much for the heads up!

Guess who's dropping tools onto the ground they don't want to use on cans before opening them? ;)

1 minute ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

Guess who's dropping tools onto the ground they don't want to use on cans before opening them?

A lot of that particular workaround was being used by us all, during playtesting, believe me.. (witness also, @Rada_'s workaround above, just to be able to use the matches they preferred)

But clunky workarounds to poorly thought-out gameplay mechanics ought not be necessary in the first place, Hinterland! You had a system that worked well.. that everyone was happy with, so you broke it. WTF?

Just now, cekivi said:

Also, @JAFO, if you haven't done so already please post your experiences with tool choice on the alpha feedback.

In a sense, that's exactly what I'm doing, above. As did a number of us during playtesting.

At this point, I'm just hoping the additional numbers of complaints that will soon come wafting in on the forums will get Hinterland's attention.. because we sure as heck didn't seem to make much impression on them during testing.

3 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Needing to drop tools due to poor optimization/mechanics on the game's end is not ideal.

Nicely understated.

Just now, cekivi said:

Oh, I meant as a separate topic. Even if the contents of a post are only skimmed over a well written title will always be seen. 

I've no doubt there will be a topic or two, before long.. (and when it comes to getting attention, during testing I found it far more effective to do as I did above.. invoke Patrick's name directly.)

Archived