The latest trailer convinced me, Story Mode is important

ChillPlayer

...for Sandbox. Not only for the obvious reason that story features are driving sandbox gameplay but because Story will give life to all the places we love and hate in the sandbox. Suddenly the smashed TV in the Damm or the turned over chair in the Farmstead tell a different story (pun not intended) after we've played through Story Mode. And I wouldn't be suprised to encounter one or the other frozen corpse in living colors in Story Mode, I'd imagine some eyes might get watery the next time you recognize that guy in sandbox. Maybe they will tell the story of Max's last stand or we meet the hunter living in Jack Rabbits, brining a whole new level of "meaning" to sandbox play.

I never cared much about Story Mode and I still believe that I will spend most of my gametime inside the sandbox, but realizing the above after watching the trailer, seeing people in familiar places interacting with each other makes me now really really hyped for Story Mode :D

Once I saw the town sign: "Town of Milton Est, 1911" I got that feeling as well.  "Survive the quiet Apocalypse" was super catchy as well.  The trailer was beautiful and just great production value.  I've never cared for the Story mode myself, but now I'm ready.

I agree with ChillPlayer. I think the extra assets and art brought on by Story Mode, combined with the context provided, will make the island feel more like a real and coherent place, rather than a series of maps stitched together. Can't wait! 

On 5/4/2017 at 2:52 PM, ChillPlayer said:

I never cared much about Story Mode and I still believe that I will spend most of my gametime inside the sandbox, but realizing the above after watching the trailer, seeing people in familiar places interacting with each other makes me now really really hyped for Story Mode :D

I've always felt the same way, but you make a really good point!  

Firstly, hello. My bro got me into the long dark about 9 months ago and have been playing it whenever   I can since. The escapism it provides got us both through a pretty tough time.

For me it's how the studio link the two modes which could potentially take the enjoyment of sandbox to a new level, which is why the development on story mode is interesting. Three elements I hope they bring into the sandbox that are featured in the trailer for story mode; the characters ( as per above on this thread) , electricity!! , and the aurora. Any one of these would provide further depth and longevity to sandbox.

1 minute ago, cekivi said:

@Timber Wolf you're killing it this weekend with welcoming new folks ;)

I'm trying to steal your job! :P

Or I've been glued to a computer completing a massive work project for the past few days and often have to wait for others from my team to do their things before I can move on to my next thing.  So, why not hang out on the forums and welcome the new members?!  :D

4 minutes ago, Timber Wolf said:

Or I've been glued to a computer completing a massive work project for the past few days and often have to wait for others from my team to do their things before I can move on to my next thing.  So, why not hang out on the forums and welcome the new members?!  :D

I know the feeling. I've been going back and forth trying to fix something with a collaborator in Ottawa while also trying to finish writing papers and my thesis. My problem is I have to limit my forums exposure or else I don't get any work done. Chatting is much nicer than writing! :D

Archived