Can't cook 0 condition meat? impact on beach combing

Ruruwawa

There's a rumor that we will no longer be able to cook 0 condition meat some future update.  I tend to believe this because I think it's a good change for the game and will add another nuance to the late game. :)

But, if true, there's a consequence to beach combing -- I wonder if Hinterland have considered this.  At least on Interloper, fish acquired via beach combing are always 0 condition.   If we can't cook or eat them, it means these fish have no value.  However I don't favor simply removing them from the loot table because cooking fish from beach combing is the only renewable source of lantern fuel in DP.

On my current Interloper sandbox I'm living in DP, so I'm someone who relies on fish from beach combing for lantern oil.  My feeling is that the best solution is to spawn the fish with more condition (50%?) so they can be cooked for food or fuel, if found within a few days of washing up.   I guess another alternative is to add a fishing hut to DP, but that seems too expensive from a dev/test perspective for a near term tweak.  

When you think about it the odds of finding several fish beachcombing in useless shape when the weather is that poor and cold are pretty slim. Fish would be frozen or partially eaten (new graphics please) and the ice should be farther and farther out from shore making you have to move farther from your home to go get it. 

Asking for fish to be more useful in a format of the game designed to make longer runs nearly impossible goes against the point of that level.

What might make more sense is allowing Will to fortify a fishing hut and insulate it better so it remains useful as the weather deteriorates. That, other than leave, is more than likely what most folks would do in such a situation. 

3 hours ago, AZHockeyNut said:

What might make more sense is allowing Will to fortify a fishing hut and insulate it better so it remains useful as the weather deteriorates. That, other than leave, is more than likely what most folks would do in such a situation. 

There are no fishing huts in Desolation Point or Crumbling Highway.  That's 2/3rds of the zones where beach combing is possible.

I don't think they should add fishing huts to Desolation Point, and especially not to Crumbling Highway. But you do need to be able to find fish that isn't ruined beyond use there instead. The beach combing compensates for lack of fishing huts if the fish you find is usable. I don't think it needs to be hard-wired so that fish cannot deteriorate to 0% condition; it perhaps just needs adjustment to make it slower, and thereby more likely you'll find it in before it does.

You don't want to be gaming the mechanics by learning the respawn timings and conducting your combing runs accordingly, because that would feel pretty artificial, I think. You can still use ruined fish as decoys, in any case though, yes?

1 minute ago, Pillock said:

I don't think they should add fishing huts to Desolation Point, and especially not to Crumbling Highway. But you do need to be able to find fish that isn't ruined beyond use there instead. The beach combing compensates for lack of fishing huts if the fish you find is usable. I don't think it needs to be hard-wired so that fish cannot deteriorate to 0% condition; it perhaps just needs adjustment to make it slower, and thereby more likely you'll find it in before it does.

You don't want to be gaming the mechanics by learning the respawn timings and conducting your combing runs accordingly, because that would feel pretty artificial, I think. You can still use ruined fish as decoys, in any case though, yes?

Yep I agree with all of this.  Even if fish from beach combing deteriorates at the same rate as now, they could just make it spawn with a bit more condition.   I walk the shoreline in my travels and usually spot fish within 24 hours of it being washed up, and it's already 0% condition.  It's either starting out spoiled, or with very low condition.

Archived