Default Tools

diffeq

I would appreciate if the Magnifying Glass was defaulted to when starting a fire under conditions in which the Magnifying Glass success rate is > 0%.

If the magnifying glass is 0%, and there are multiple Strikers in inventory, I would appreciate having the lowest condition striker be defaulted to.

Failing those conditionals, if multiple match stacks exist, I would appreciate the lowest count stack being defaulted to.

I would also appreciate the lowest condition bow in my inventory being equipped when pressing "2". But I can see how that may not always be ideal.

Just a thought, thanks for reading.

15 minutes ago, diffeq said:

I would appreciate if the Magnifying Glass was defaulted to when starting a fire under conditions in which the Magnifying Glass success rate is > 0%.

If the magnifying glass is 0%, and there are multiple Strikers in inventory, I would appreciate having the lowest condition striker be defaulted to.

Failing those conditionals, if multiple match stacks exist, I would appreciate the lowest count stack being defaulted to.

I would also appreciate the lowest condition bow in my inventory being equipped when pressing "2". But I can see how that may not always be ideal.

Just a thought, thanks for reading.

Thanks for the feedback! In terms of making it more clear which matches/items you are using (when you have several of the same in inventory) are you thinking more on managing their decay or on just generally making all your actions quicker and more "efficient"? Additionally, do you ever sort your own inventory so you aren't carrying more than one bow on you (or firestriker)? Just curious. Thanks again. :coffee:

I'm not as concerned about matches, but would definitely like the ability to rank my tools in an order that would allow me to get the one I'm most likely to want from hitting the hot key. Flares are always the default, but never my first choice light source. Plus, I don't know whether it's my computer, or my clicking style, but I fight wolves far better with a hatchet than a knife, and would love to be able to set that as a default, rather than trying to drop my knife right before the attack. 

I agree with wanting some way to influence what the default is for various tools.  For example, it seems like it should be handy that the hatchet is always selected when I go to gather a branch, but I always do this with my bare hands to save the tool.  That means that every time I break down a branch, I have to manually change the tool.  To deal with this, I just stopped carrying the hatchet when I'm going out for branches.

With fires, I would love if the game defaulted to the option that you chose last time, especially after a failed fire.  When you're carrying a large variety of firestarting items and fuel, it's a pain to click through all the options each time you re-try to start a fire.  This is most important while I'm freezing to death -- it makes me impatient and anxious to manually select everything from the firebuilding screen.

2 hours ago, Best_Leopard said:

the hatchet is always selected when I go to gather a branch, but I always do this with my bare hands to save the tool.  That means that every time I break down a branch, I have to manually change the tool.

Yes indeed. I have a separate thread requesting that A and D keys be used to change tool when breaking down items (e.g. branches, curtains, furniture).

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 0:10 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

Thanks for the feedback! In terms of making it more clear which matches/items you are using (when you have several of the same in inventory) are you thinking more on managing their decay or on just generally making all your actions quicker and more "efficient"? Additionally, do you ever sort your own inventory so you aren't carrying more than one bow on you (or firestriker)? Just curious. Thanks again. :coffee:

Personally if there was a way to do both that would be fantastic... I try to use things that are lower in condition sooner than those than are lower in condition. I'm huge on organization that way, but there's still the fact that when I have more than one tool capable of doing a job, the game will default to one I don't want to use. For example, if I go to harvest a carcass, and have a knife, a hatchet, and hacksaw, the game will default to the hacksaw even though it takes the longest. Granted it's easier to keep in good condition, but that means if I am in a rush and forget to switch to my knife, it's going to take a very long time to harvest and more likely to have my condition fall from cold, hunger, thirst, or exhaustion. As for matches, I whilst traveling though an area especially in the initial stage of trying to find less common useful items like the knife, hatchet, and gun, I wind up with an inventory full of matches. Since we cannot see any difference in condition when it comes to usefulness making a fire other than your common basic match versus your wooden matches versus your firestriker, and in the case of outdoor fire-starting, the magnifying glass, I have no idea if I'm using my 100 percent condition matches or my 60 percent condition matches unless I'm paying very close attention to how many matches are in each condition range. When I'm in a particular area for a longer time, often in the case of when I'm trying to obtain enough furs to make better clothes, or other items, those 100% matches are the ones that are most likely to be put away. But that isn't the case when I'm just passing through an area trying to get somewhere better.

• 1 year later...

I don't mean to necro a thread but it's either that or start a brand new one with the same idea.

Some sort of priority ranking system attached to every single selectable situation in the game would go a very long way as far as quality-of-life improvement.  Don't adjust the default priority ranking based on common sense; common sense will vary from player to player and will be situational.  Give us a ranking mechanic in the UI so we can assign our own defaults.

When I open a can of dog food, if my cooking skill is <3 I want to default to the can opener.  If my cooking skill is >=3 I want to ditch the can opener and have the opening of the dog food can default to smashing.  As I understand it now (please correct me if I'm wrong), if there's no can opener in inventory, opening defaults to another tool--knife or hatchet.  I don't want to have to drop my hatchet/knife on the ground every time I want to smash open a can to avoid tool decay.

Thanks for reading this and thanks for this amazing game! :) 

On 30. 11. 2016 at 1:29 AM, Jebru said:

I'm not as concerned about matches, but would definitely like the ability to rank my tools in an order that would allow me to get the one I'm most likely to want from hitting the hot key.

2 hours ago, Sunwolf said:

I don't mean to necro a thread but it's either that or start a brand new one with the same idea.

Some sort of priority ranking system attached to every single selectable situation in the game would go a very long way as far as quality-of-life improvement. 

I think thats a good idea, and Ive expressed similar wish in the past, too. I think the radial menu was kind of supposed to do something like this (speed up selection) but you have to constantly alter it and it just doesnt feel very fluent to me on keyboard, even though I use it a lot. 

This is certainly something cool that could be added, then again I dont find it THAT neccesary for life - after all, it kind of emits a sense of realism that you have to rummage through your backpack to get that particular item you want. Just my opinion. Would probably be a cool mod, tbh.

Also it aint a necro if you have something relevant to say, I think. Better than making a completely new post, IMHO.

Archived