A pretty long list of ideas. Love to hear your feedback. :)

ThePrivateer

Hey all. I prepared a few suggestions for the wish list. I would love to hear your thoughts. I am really digging to come up with these, as I think the game is pretty excellent already, but I figure that ideas are what the team wants, so here you go. :)

1.) Transparent windows would be nice.... At least to check the general area to see if the coast is clear for bear/wolves.

Even if you had to go out after a storm and clear them, etc. I have a camp set up in the Quonset hut in CH and it's taking your life in your hands just to leave the building to chop a friggin' log. I always exit the building armed and crouching. :P

2.) I know this has been talked to death, but the decay rate on canned goods has to be adjusted. I keep tins of sardines at my real life fishing shack to use as minnow bait and I have opened them after 3-4 years and they were still perfect. It would be neat to be able to stow away some food for worry-free long term storage to augment our hunted meat.

3.) An old shopping cart. or a craftable sled. Maybe one that spawns at Quonset Hut store in CH. It would kind of make sense. Think of the dudes in "The Road". It would make moving camps a little easier. I kind of regret setting up camp there and I'd love to move, but transporting 60 days of gathered meat, skins, tools, etc would be impossible at 30+kg per trip. I accept that it won't hold an infinite amount of stuff, and that it would be very slow to transport, but it would eventually get you there in the end with a decent sized amount of stuff.

4.) Binoculars. If even for the beauty of the landscape.

5.) More types of varied food items. This would be for esthetics mostly, I guess.

6.) Adjusted decay/wear on certain tools. I know, I know. All in good time. I have never seen a whetstone wear out IRL. I also have several of my great grandfather's tools that are 80+ years old. An axe, a pick, crow bar, etc.

7.) Craftable bone items. All that bone going to waste.

8.) Flint as an alternative to crafting metal arrowheads.

9.) Dual wielding for cases where I'd love to have a flare in one hand and a knife in the other. Or a spear! Yeah!

10.) A spear! :)

11.) Lastly, I have the same list of popular wish list stuff like long term shelter construction, alternative fire making techniques, the ability to transport small game before dressing, etc.

These are a few of my ideas. Thanks for reading. Please share your ideas/opinions. Thanks :)

Hi @ThePrivateer !!
Welcome to TLD forum !!!^_^

1 hour ago, ThePrivateer said:

1.) Transparent windows would be nice.... At least to check the general area to see if the coast is clear for bear/wolves.

Well, that is good idea !!! ^_^

2.) I know this has been talked to death, but the decay rate on canned goods has to be adjusted. I keep tins of sardines at my real life fishing shack to use as minnow bait and I have opened them after 3-4 years and they were still perfect. It would be neat to be able to stow away some food for worry-free long term storage to augment our hunted meat.

It is okay. 

The road map says more cooking action are on the way !!! 

3.) An old shopping cart. or a craftable sled. Maybe one that spawns at Quonset Hut store in CH. It would kind of make sense. Think of the dudes in "The Road". It would make moving camps a little easier. I kind of regret setting up camp there and I'd love to move, but transporting 60 days of gathered meat, skins, tools, etc would be impossible at 30+kg per trip. I accept that it won't hold an infinite amount of stuff, and that it would be very slow to transport, but it would eventually get you there in the end with a decent sized amount of stuff.

it was suggested before. but it is cool !!! :D

I like it. 

once NPC added binoculars will be important thing !!!

5.) More types of varied food items. This would be for esthetics mostly, I guess

+1

6.) Adjusted decay/wear on certain tools. I know, I know. All in good time. I have never seen a whetstone wear out IRL. I also have several of my great grandfather's tools that are 80+ years old. An axe, a pick, crow bar, etc.

It is okay i guess !!! 

+1 

It was suggested by me too :D

9.) Dual wielding for cases where I'd love to have a flare in one hand and a knife in the other. Or a spear! Yeah!

It is great !!!!! :D

Like to have ambidextrous character !!! 

3 hours ago, ThePrivateer said:

Good idea, but probably hard to implement.

Agreed - canned goods last for ages, has noone at Hinterland ever owned a can of soup?

I'm more for the craftable sled - ever tried to move a shopping cart through snow? It's actually easier to just haul the stuff by hand. A sled, on the other hand, would make thing easier actually. Just have it cost a huge amount of stuff for balancing.

@Patrick Carlson mentioned that binoculars would be very hard to implement with the engine if I recall correctlym so I guess that's a no, unfortunately. I agree with you on the beauty of the landscape though!

5.) More types of varied food items. This would be for esthetics mostly, I guess.

Yep. We already have three sodas that only differ in name, skin and description. For the same amount of development resources we could also have differen flavours of MREs, different stews to add to pork&beans and even different kinds of chocolate bars (I'll have to admit, IRL I prefer plain white over chocolate with nuts)

Agreed. Tool balancing is easily the most ... egh, I don't wanna say "broken" so I'll go with "unfinished" feature in the game. The thing about most tools is that they're built to last, which is why they're comparatively expensive - I don't suppose that the hatched Hinterland themselves sell will break after cutting a couple of branches. Prybars and such are even more resilient, and even knives last for a long time (a friend of mine still has his great-grandfathers Waffen-SS dagger, and before you ask, yes, it was used in combat). As for whetstones, before playing TLD I didn't even consider that they could possibly wear out in a human lifetime.

Yep. Would only need the addition of two items: The bone itself and the crafted item, the rest can be done with a knife/hatchet and a whetstone.

8.) Flint as an alternative to crafting metal arrowheads.

Or maybe use the approximately 340 billion sharp metal items already present in average homes and/or workshops ;) you're not wrong, quite the contrary, I like stone tools, but realistically before our characters would start utilizing a resource they aren't acquintanced with very much they'd probably use steak knives.

Yep.

The second-most requested item on the wishlist forums, I guess, and one I myself am a proponent of. Everyone knows how to craft the simplest of spears (I suspect that it's some kind of genetic knowledge).

11.) Lastly, I have the same list of popular wish list stuff like long term shelter construction, alternative fire making techniques, the ability to transport small game before dressing, etc.

As for alternative fire making techniques, those seem to be on the roadmap. Transporting small game, yeah, I like that. 

nice list. Transparent windows might not be too tough since we can se out of cars already, Though not in all directions but be can see out them a bit.

Most of the rest has been mentioned. Many of which are on the road map. LOVE the Binoculars or Scope, yeah even it to just see the landscape! The artwork is incredible. With headphones on I often get a chill playing and forget where I am!

Flint and bone would be nice even it if had bad durability on purpose it would be better than nothing. I am sure stuff like that will come and it is long since on the dev's minds.

2 minutes ago, AZHockeyNut said:

nice list. Transparent windows might not be too tough since we can se out of cars already, Though not in all directions but be can see out them a bit.

Thing is, cars are part of the outside map, whereas the interior of buildings are "maps" on their own as evidenced by their loading screen.

2 minutes ago, AZHockeyNut said:

Flint and bone would be nice even it if had bad durability on purpose it would be better than nothing. I am sure stuff like that will come and it is long since on the dev's minds.

Bone tools are surprisingly durable, but they're still the cheap Chinese plastic stuff in comparison to steel tools, so yeah, you're right. Also, bone is a pretty much infinite resource, so low durability wouldn't substract from it's long-term usefulness.

38 minutes ago, ThePrivateer said:

Maybe a flint arrowhead would have less durability and need to be  replaced more often.  BUT, obtaining/crafting flint could be a bit easier than finding a way to manufacture steel arrowheads. (I left out any obvious spoiler in that last sentence, hopefully.  ;) )

oh okay then, that's good to know

Flint is much, much more likely to break than metal. It's also harder to work with. Metal has the added upside of being easier to recycle (if you live in Europe, you have, I can guarantee that, held in your hands at least once a metal item that has once been armor or a weapon worn to battle. If that isn't cool, I don't know what is.) The upside of flint is that it can be worked with simpler (although not simple) tools and without a heat source (although that sort-of applies to metal as well, see above.). There's also the fact that the use of flint was discovered way before the use of metals (we call that - inaccurately - the Stone Age now). Basically, metal is superior to flint in any kind of way in usage in tools, weapons and missile heads. However, without a handy forge nearby, flint or other rocks are quickly the only materials to use (if the Survivor ignores kitchen knives, shards of glass or just plain hammering pieces of metal flat into an arrowhad. Others have made very long and well-thought out posts about that, making arrowheads does not necessarily require a forge)

To add to my above post, think about it like this: Iron is represented by a can of pork&beans, flint and other stones are represented by a can of dog food. The can of pork&beans an be easily opened with a can opener and it's tasty, easy to digest and smells nice. The can of dog food is hard to open and requires force, skill and patience. It tastes like a nightmare incarnate, smells like a corpse and will give you stomach cramps. However, both will keep you alive for another day. If you have both, you'll most likely decide for pork&beans. If that's not an option, however, the dog food will have to suffice - it's hard, it's difficult, it's unpleasant but it will get you through another day, and that's the goal of the game :D 

Some of this are on the official timeline, some were already discussed and avoided.

The bone thing could be good but we will have to see what they want to do with base house customization first. Those 3D things take time!

1. Making windows transparent would require making house interiors part of main map areas, meaning that interiors of those building and/or exteriors would need a complete reworking to match in terms of spacing, as right now many building do not. A lot of work for change of rather questionable quality.

2. decay rates of most foods are far far far far far greater than what  they should be. A lot of complaining, next to no improvements.

3. Sled. Yes. Pls.

4. Discussed. Devs said no due to some limitations of game engine or something like that. At least for now.

5. Well, if whole wellbeing and extended cooking part will include division into food content, then it could be a thing.

6. Maintenance should be a thing in the game. How player keeps his tools, how he uses  them, in what conditions, etc

7/8 both bone and flint as craftable materials have been also discussed to dead, so far nothing. Rather ironic considering nature of the game.

9 huh, interesting, why none came up with it be4 ?

10. Yes, pls.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2016 at 9:45 AM, ThePrivateer said:

YES! YES and YES!

True. It was really weird to accept the fact that canned food has decay.

Sled. yup.

Agree. So basic. 

moving dead animals. agreed.

I think one thing I would like to see is a better inventory system.  We need packs, bags and such to divide up our items in.  This would allow us to drop a pack at your camp site, go hunting, bring back a large part of a kill to be cut up later (like cutting off an entire leg or just carry the rabbits back to camp to clean and cook by the fire.

Part of the gear search in the game should be for better backpacks.  I would feel silly but lets face it a big woman's purse can hold a lot and can be worn slung over your shoulder, in addition to a back pack.  Cargo pants have big pockets for a reason, you can hold much more than a pair of jeans.

Come to think if it, different kinds of knives would be handy to have.  

and can we please do away with the need for a workbench to make rabbit traps.  Last time I watched a survival show no one had a worktable.

1 minute ago, Mesha said:

and can we please do away with the need for a workbench to make rabbit traps.  Last time I watched a survival show no one had a worktable.

Huh, never thought about that,but it makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Mesha said:

Come to think if it, different kinds of knives would be handy to have.  

What kinds of knives do you propose and what functions would they fulfill? 

The knife we have not is pretty generic in nature.  We could have smaller knives, like a pocket knife.  They might be better at some crafting (I don't see this adding much to the game really but collecting gear is part of the fun).  I have a knife like this for working with knots and rope Marlin spike  A standard pocket knife might be ok for skinning a rabit, but I would not want to try carving up a deer with one or fighting a wolf.

Basically the size of the blade will limit what you can do with it, bigger knives are good for big heavy work, but bad at small projects like crafting.  Some knives have saw teeth cut in the back of the blade, that would be perfect for making a rabbit trap, or cutting down a small tree (the kind you find in game for crafting arrows and bows).

This seems like a very good idea actually, I didn't take blade length/shape into account (I'm more accustomed to swords, actually.) So, to boil it down we could have (sorry, I like lists)

• Pocked knives/multitools for skinning small game and as a substitute for simple tools
  • The generic hunting knife that works out well for, well, hunting purposes
  • A combat/survival knife for larger pieces of work to do such as skinning bears and harvesting saplings/cutting up smaller branches

(I do not deserve any credit for this post, I just paraphrased @Mesha's post into a format I am familiar with)

Archived