MILITARY BASES

romeotheepic

The location is a +1 from me, but I don't know the the team still needs location ideas. Looking at their great map that shows all the interconnected maps I'm not sure if they'll be expanding the island even more although connecting DP with TWM with a new area that HAPPENS to go through a military base would be actually interesting AND useful. :D

I like the idea (hell, I'm generally in favor of modern/industrialized/urban maps to really drive home the "civilization just ended, whatcha gonna do now?"-feeling), and if I recall correctly @cekivi mentioned that the greater area the game takes place in should have some military presence.

I'd prefer it to not be too large though - a full-size airbase is easily the size of a small town with thousands of people working there. However, a small-ish training center (those forests and TWM just scream "ARMY RANGERS HAVE WINTER SURVIVAL AND ORIENTEERING COURSES HERE!" to me) with an airfield, armory and radar station from the Cold War, with some vehicles and tanks (mostly anti-air and some MBTs) would be glorious.

So, what could we possibly find and what would be a benefit to gameplay?

• Canned food and lots of it. Despite armies having chefs (and I heard the Canadians have really good ones), most of the food is pre-prepared, i.e. frozen, canned etc. because of the sheer number of hungry mouths in military formations.
  • MRE's, pretty self-explanatory. Military bases and eBay are practically the natural habitat of MRE's.
  • Weapons and ammo. This is where it gets tricky: Most users (and most likely the devs) do not want to have assault rifles, high-calibre sniper rifles, SMGs, machine guns, grenade launchers, hand grenades, land mines etc. in the game. So, they'd have to be somehow explained away which is pretty hard to do - If the military unit stationed there managed to literally take all weapons on the base with them to whereever they went, I'd hand them a medal since military logistics are usually not measured by effectiveness but by degree of failing (at least, such is the case in the German Bundeswehr. Source: My brother did two years in a logistics battallion). If there are remaining weapons and they're just inoperable props, it'd just feel weird - because hey, if I was in TLD-event and I'd found an assault rifle, I'd take it (also, the chance to hunt those pesky bears with claymore mines or LAWs? Count me in). If they're all inexplicably broken that'd be weird as well- surely the M16 can't be that bad. If the base was unarmed - what the hell was up with Canadas military before the event? Long story short, arms are a touchy subject.
  • Medical equipment. Like, all of it.
  • Clothes. I'd really dig some camo-reskins of luxury parkas and cargo pants.
  • Tools. Again, all of them and then some - the Canadian army issues Gerber multitools, by the way.
  • Accelerant and lantern fuel. Accelerant is described in-game as liquids such as lighter fluid, so using petrol isn't entirely out of the question. Lantern fuel is often describes as oil or kerosene (and fish oil as of the latest update), and, well, where else to find kerosene than an air base?

Also, a military base could offer some additional threats:

• NPCs if they're implemented. Maybe soldiers who were left behind to guard or just plain forgotten. They're obviously not very happy if random civilians start stealing their stuff (actually, nobody would be happy if anyone started stealing their stuff, but they're probably better armed than you)
  • Barbed wire, sometimes hidden under snow. Wrecks clothes and causes bleeding. Can be harvested in a very time-consuming process using simple tools or the prybar and reused to establish a perimeter around your own base. No-more getting wrecked by bears whilst taking your morning stroll around Quonset!
  • Ordnance, especially the electrically triggered ones - I wonder what the aurora does to TOW missiles and the like.
  • Leaking fuel. Watch out with that torch!
  • The latest trailer showed burning power lines and electrical appliances randomly switching on during aurora-events. Given the sheer amount of electrical devices a modern military (which Canada possesses) has, including computers, radar dishes, radios, vehicles, targeting systems, ordnance, lights etc. such a place could be very confusing, if not dangerous during such events (although exploding ordnance would be a one-time thing)

Great idea Waste! +1

Also:

1 hour ago, Wastelander said:
  • Weapons and ammo. This is where it gets tricky: Most users (and most likely the devs) do not want to have assault rifles, high-calibre sniper rifles, SMGs, machine guns, grenade launchers, hand grenades, land mines etc. in the game. So, they'd have to be somehow explained away which is pretty hard to do - If the military unit stationed there managed to literally take all weapons on the base with them to whereever they went, I'd hand them a medal since military logistics are usually not measured by effectiveness but by degree of failing (at least, such is the case in the German Bundeswehr. Source: My brother did two years in a logistics battallion). If there are remaining weapons and they're just inoperable props, it'd just feel weird - because hey, if I was in TLD-event and I'd found an assault rifle, I'd take it (also, the chance to hunt those pesky bears with claymore mines or LAWs? Count me in). If they're all inexplicably broken that'd be weird as well- surely the M16 can't be that bad. If the base was unarmed - what the hell was up with Canadas military before the event? Long story short, arms are a touchy subject.

Here's your answer! :D

• Ordnance, especially the electrically triggered ones - I wonder what the aurora does to TOW missiles and the like.

The moment the aurora hit it detonated all(or at least one that wasn't defused at the moment witch blew up all the other)  explosives in the armory and destroyed all weapons... Let's not go into details if guns and explosives are kept separated or not. :P

@Wastelander: If we assume the island the game takes place on is Vancouver Island than a military presence is more or less guaranteed. However, it's not going to be a small self sufficient city. If I remember correctly, the main west coast  base for Canada is in Vancouver. There is however an air station on the island and coast guard  facilitates for maritime rescue.

If the island isn't Vancouver Island than you'd probably have coast guard and search and rescue but no military.

3 hours ago, Gaboris said:

Great idea Waste! +1

I always wanted a nick-nickname on these forums. Something that signified that people recognized me, that I had built a reputation as a helpful, funny and inspiring poster. I didn't want it to be this :D

3 hours ago, Gaboris said:

The moment the aurora hit it detonated all(or at least one that wasn't defused at the moment witch blew up all the other)  explosives in the armory and destroyed all weapons... Let's not go into details if guns and explosives are kept separated or not. :P

I know for a fact that they aren't, unfortunately. And even if they were, that leaves the question why the base's debris isn't in a geostationary orbit above Vancouver right now.

2 hours ago, cekivi said:

If the island isn't Vancouver Island than you'd probably have coast guard and search and rescue but no military.

So we'd get all the eerie feeling of an abandoned station without having to explain away guns? Count me in mate.

I always wanted a nick-nickname on these forums. Something that signified that people recognized me, that I had built a reputation as a helpful, funny and inspiring poster. I didn't want it to be this :D

Oh shucks, and you're so modest as well. :geek:

But anyways you're WELCOME! At least it's good to know that my habit of nick-nicking every online user I meet hasn't gone to WASTE! *Ba-Dum-Tss*
I'll see myself out, now. :big_smile:

1 minute ago, Gaboris said:

Oh shucks, and you're so modest as well. :geek:

But anyways you're WELCOME! At least it's good to know that my habit of nick-nicking every online user I meet hasn't gone to WASTE! *Ba-Dum-Tss*
I'll see myself out, now. :big_smile:

Modesty was never my forte. I just know that I'm good B|

I have to admit though, you made me laugh out loud, few people manage to do that :D

I think the hard weapons could just be behind armored doors. Impossible to get near to them. But i have never been in a military base, so i do not really know how they secure their weapons. 

I am all for more diversity in buildings and adding more (abandoned) (industrial) structure, but wouldn't it be more likely to find a hospital / doctor's house / police office, etc. than finding an abandoned military base ... ?

3 hours ago, aurora said:

I think the hard weapons could just be behind armored doors. Impossible to get near to them. But i have never been in a military base, so i do not really know how they secure their weapons. 

I am all for more diversity in buildings and adding more (abandoned) (industrial) structure, but wouldn't it be more likely to find a hospital / doctor's house / police office, etc. than finding an abandoned military base ... ?

Good point on hardened doors, in peacetime most stuff is stored behind electronically-locked doors, at least in German barracks (again, my brother is the only source here).

As for industrial structires, hospitals, police offices - yes, please! Anything urban,  really. 

49 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

As for industrial structires, hospitals, police offices - yes, please! Anything urban,  really. 

Again, it depends on where the island is. If there's a lot of people (say, 3000+) than hospitals and other urban structures are likely. If there are few people than there's just not enough of a tax base to support that level of civil infrastructure. You're more likely to have a walk in clinic with a medivac pad as opposed to a hospital for instance.

4 hours ago, cekivi said:

Again, it depends on where the island is. If there's a lot of people (say, 3000+) than hospitals and other urban structures are likely. If there are few people than there's just not enough of a tax base to support that level of civil infrastructure. You're more likely to have a walk in clinic with a medivac pad as opposed to a hospital for instance.

anyway, that would already add to the diversity. it need not be a full featured hospital or police station or something.

On 10/23/2016 at 9:28 PM, Gaboris said:

The *remains* of a military base would be a much more suitable location for a game like this.  Make a crater where the large stores of munitions and other gear used to be, and the resulting fire would destroy most of the other buildings, but the wrecks and secondary buildings are more than enough to be an interesting environment for a lone scavenger.

On 10/24/2016 at 11:28 PM, aurora said:

anyway, that would already add to the diversity. it need not be a full featured hospital or police station or something.

No goverment in the their right mind will build a hospital in area that serves only 3000 residents. Small clinic with 1 doctor and 2 nurses... maybe.

On 10/25/2016 at 8:50 PM, Brudaks said:

The *remains* of a military base would be a much more suitable location for a game like this.  Make a crater where the large stores of munitions and other gear used to be, and the resulting fire would destroy most of the other buildings, but the wrecks and secondary buildings are more than enough to be an interesting environment for a lone scavenger.

Armories are shielded and reinforced. Probably better than anything else on military base. Since were dealing with equipment of vital importance(and extremely volatile) for this installation.

If anything would survive after Event on military base, it would actually be an armory. Player would have no way (in hell) to get in, but thats another question. Fire, explosions... seriously, i feel like youre talking about meth lab, not military installation.

Archived