Why can't we light a torch at a fire?

ChillPlayer

Unless I am missing something the only way to light a Torch is by waisting a match, even when we have a fire going with +50C heat output. We can take a brand out of it and start a new fire but we also cannot lit the Torch with the Brand. I wished we would be able to light a Torch with everything we can start a fire with, with the exception maybe for the Magnifying Glass. But in my opinion there should be an option to light the Torch with Flares, Brands and Campfire. Pretty please :flirt:

This mechanic has been long time in TLD now. The only thing that is changed is in the previous builds a menu pops up when you try to light a torch and if you point your torch at the campfire an icon appears which lets you light from campfire, I think that it was the same update which made flares not throw-able.

It is amazing how  non-newbie players don't know many things about TLD myself included, I recently learned that you can De-frost carcasses by placing fire close by.

I know that it is in the spirit of TLD for the players to discover by themselves but I really think that someone should make a Descend guide about all the stuff you can do in TLD. Also this will not be a spoiler but the opposite of spoiler which I don't know the word for it, because when newbie players read what this game has to offer they would want to try them. What do you guys think? 

I might have even known it, once I tried it it looked familiar, guess it just escaped my mind. I wasn't playing for quite a time and in general very rarely had to use Torches in Stalker. The only time I really depended on them was during Sea to Summit Challenge so I didn't pay particular attention.

12 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

I might have even known it, once I tried it it looked familiar, guess it just escaped my mind. I wasn't playing for quite a time and in general very rarely had to use Torches in Stalker. The only time I really depended on them was during Sea to Summit Challenge so I didn't pay particular attention.

You don't use torches to start fires? why? using matches directly is wasteful if you don't succeed you'l just waste a match, torch you can use again so ? OMG I just realized matches a not so scarce in Stalker, This interloper LVL is quite a challenge I'm not playing stalker until I reach my 100 interloper days :) 

When you could pull infinite torches from a fire it made more sense to use them to start fires. Now you have to craft them from wood, cloth and fuel, I just use fuel as accelerant if I must have a successful fire 1st try. 

I guess if you're on low matches and no fuel it's a superior choice. Seems like an edge case though. 

On 5.10.2016 at 9:00 AM, LucidFugue said:

When you could pull infinite torches from a fire it made more sense to use them to start fires. Now you have to craft them from wood, cloth and fuel, I just use fuel as accelerant if I must have a successful fire 1st try. 

I guess if you're on low matches and no fuel it's a superior choice. Seems like an edge case though. 

I think that this is changed too. you can no longer use lamp oil as an accelerant I have to double check I'm not sure. Once I found 3 fish in DP and cooked them thus getting the lamp oil and when I tried to start fire it was not presented as an option in the fire starting mechanic. Maybe it is only for the fish oil but I believe that they are the same item.

15 minutes ago, vancopower said:

I think that this is changed too. you can no longer use lamp oil as an accelerant I have to double check I'm not sure. Once I found 3 fish in DP and cooked them thus getting the lamp oil and when I tried to start fire it was not presented as an option in the fire starting mechanic. Maybe it is only for the fish oil but I believe that they are the same item.

Takes 0.3L of lamp oil to accelerate a fire.  That will usually be more than three fish.  Someone has already reported a "bug" that a lamp oil container may have less than 0.3L of oil in it but gets rounded up for display (i.e. 0,2954L) so it looks like you have barely enough but it will not work.

P.S: This sort of thing happens a lot in this program.  Fault of design.  Decimals and logic gates don't mix.  Decide: either remove the percentages or become analog; make everything an integer or stop being digital.   

Archived