Tinder revamp!

akodo1

My suggestion, revamp tinder.

Make it so that tinder can be harvested from book, rolled newspapers, and regular newspapers papers.  We don't really need both rolled and unrolled newspapers, replace regular newspapers with 'papers'....junk mail adverts and coupons, envelopes, etc.   Allow tinder to be 'harvested' from these bit by bit, like dropping sticks.  The number of tinder taken reduces the items weight by an equivalent amount.  So if you have a 0.5 KG book and you harvest 1 tinder weighing 0.1 kg (or whatever they weigh, is it o.o5?) your book now is 0.4KG and burns less long.

Tinder of all kinds can be put into the fire as fuel and adds 2-3 minutes of burn time.

What I would like to see is that tinder increases the speed or chance of success even after you reach firestarting skill level three, otherwise tinder becomes useless. In my current run, I am now firestarter level 4, and I only ever travel with sticks and matches now because tinder is additional weight for no gain.

10 hours ago, EternityTide said:

What I would like to see is that tinder increases the speed or chance of success even after you reach firestarting skill level three, otherwise tinder becomes useless. In my current run, I am now firestarter level 4, and I only ever travel with sticks and matches now because tinder is additional weight for no gain.

This, plus maybe adding additional tinder to increase chance of successful firestarting earlier on to balance against the extreme abundance of tinder in the game. Seriously, I ran out of everything in the game - matches, water, whetstones - except for tinder. 

I think more harvesting in general should be like how you harvest carcasses, where you choose what you want and each additional unit of measure tacks on more time.  You should be able to go up to a big fur log and cut off just a chunk not commit yourself to breaking down the whole thing.  You should be able to tear a bit out of your book to make tinder the same way.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that tinder use after you achieve master fire-starter needs to be modified. To me, it makes no sense that you'd become so good at building a fire that you wouldn't need tinder, but that using it anyways wouldn't increase success. Also, using tinder in possible fire starting expansions would be a must, like a hand drill, or bow drill.

• 1 month later...
On 15/09/2016 at 5:51 PM, EternityTide said:

Exactly. If nothing else, make it like accelerant. You don't need it, but your fire starts almost instantaneously if you use it. 

Archived