change crafting at workbench

dbldrew

I think there needs to be a change to the crafting in regards to some items only can be crafted at a workbench. Because of the workbench it really forces players to usually pick a home base that has one. So it kind of limits the maps a bit. But if you could craft anywhere then it would open up new playing areas. 

to balance maybe crafting would be faster at a workbench, or maybe you would need the tool box to craft anywhere? 

3 hours ago, dbldrew said:

to balance maybe crafting would be faster at a workbench, or maybe you would need the tool box to craft anywhere? 

Cosmetically, the workbenches don't seem to be much more than a glorified table anyway. The only tool I see is the vise unless I'm missing something, and maybe aside from arrows I don't see much use for it. So yeah, I'm all for it - the workbench is entirely optional, but makes stuff quicker. I like it.

Faster, yer, makes sense - its far better when you can properly lay out your tools and materials. Should also apply to activities as repairs.

Imo all, but most advanced, schematics should be craftable without workbench. And workbench adding time bonus and possible quality bonus. Its possible to stitch together a coat on the knee in the dark(sometimes player may have plenty of time but no access to workbench, then why not), but youd be far better off doing in under good lighting conditions with good support and ample working space.

If the devs ever go this route, another aspect to consider could be the crafted item's initial maximum durability. A pair of deerskin boots could be crafted/repaired up to, say, 75% of its durability unless you have a workbench nearby.

But it doesn't bother me too much, actually. I like that we have to plan beforehand. Not being able to craft anything anywhere makes the game more challenging, not more annoying, at least for me.

11 hours ago, Hiemalis said:

If the devs ever go this route, another aspect to consider could be the crafted item's initial maximum durability. A pair of deerskin boots could be crafted/repaired up to, say, 75% of its durability unless you have a workbench nearby.

But it doesn't bother me too much, actually. I like that we have to plan beforehand. Not being able to craft anything anywhere makes the game more challenging, not more annoying, at least for me.

it really doesnt make it more challenging it just shrinks the home base options.. 

and it doesnt make much sense that I would need a table with a vise to make a pair of pants.. 

7 hours ago, dbldrew said:

it really doesnt make it more challenging it just shrinks the home base options.. 

and it doesnt make much sense that I would need a table with a vise to make a pair of pants.. 

We don't have to be constantly crafting things; therefore, it isn't that farfetched to choose a home base without a workbench. Sure, it's very convenient to have one around, but not mandatory. Hard choices are part of good game design.

And many things don't make sense in any given game. This is what many people miss, IMO: TLD isn't meant to be realistic; it's meant to be verisimilar, at the same time building a self-contained coherence. That's what game design/balance is about.

Here's how I reckon it should work:

> All craftable objects which do NOT require minor metal working and gluing/fixing (this includes all craftable clothes, snares, old man's beard dressing, etc) can be crafted on a regular table (which gives tables an actual purpose beyond aesthetics and firewood)

> All craftable objects that require scrap metal or need to be clamped when constructed, require a crafting table ( this includes hooks, fishing tackle, arrows, line, etc)

Using a crafting table increases the chance of success by 10%, and imparts greater skill points in the long run. It also fractionally increases the quality of the object made.

Archived