build fishing hut

AZHockeyNut

in some of the maps, ML for sure, near the trapper lodge there is a small pond with a hunters blind but no fishing on it, would be nice to try to make a crude one there.

Also related, marking the trails with the knife or hatchet somehow so the character has landmarks etc to go by. If I were lost I would be making marks.

Welcome to the forums @AZHockeyNut ^_^

The inland ponds are likely frozen solid in the winter unless they're much deeper than they look. With consistent -20 days you can easily get 1 meter thick ice. Also, a snow shelter on a lake wouldn't work too well. The current shelter is a snow trench. In the middle of the lake - on bare ice besides - there wouldn't be enough snow to dig a trench in.

However, I do like the idea of being able to fish in more places. I'd love to be able to find a hand auger and use it on ice to try my luck at fishing. Building a snow windbreak would be another nice addition to make the fishing more bearable. The ultimate implementation of this is being able to set standing lines (really easy to do if you know how) so you could string multiple lines at once and run to them when a fish bites to catch it. Trust me, it's really effective and a lot of fun. With the added bonus that you can stay sheltered on shore with a fire while you wait :big_smile:

On 4.8.2016 at 0:15 AM, cekivi said:

However, I do like the idea of being able to fish in more places. I'd love to be able to find a hand auger and use it on ice to try my luck at fishing. Building a snow windbreak would be another nice addition to make the fishing more bearable. The ultimate implementation of this is being able to set standing lines (really easy to do if you know how) so you could string multiple lines at once and run to them when a fish bites to catch it. Trust me, it's really effective and a lot of fun. With the added bonus that you can stay sheltered on shore with a fire while you wait :big_smile:

Easiest way to do this, since Mystery Lake seems like some kind of touristy area, is to add actual fishing poles (with maybe a better chance of fishing success), and, if you really want to get into the matter, rod-pods, bobbers, bait and, if we're going extreme, different kinds of hooks, lines, sinkers etc. Then again, the fishing-minigame in Stardew Valley is horribly broken (at least in my opinion, as someone who can't just afford a new mouse every few weeks), so maybe keeping it simple might be better. I have never fished with just a line with no rod since that's illegal where I live and I do value my fishing license. However, I do employ up to three rods at one and yes, I do run to the when something bites (the fish around here have a rare talent to only bite when I'm either in the bushes or getting a beer).

The most difficult thing about fishing, in my opinion, is to tell when something worthwhile has bitten - you want big, fat fishes. However, at least here in Germany, the truly big and fat ones don't make muc of a fuss when they're biting, at least where I fish, whereas the smallest fish you can find put up a fight worthy of a small shark (seriously, I had a fish the size of my thumb almost sink a rod of mine earlier this year, whereas the ~60cm Zander I caught barely moved). Fishing is a lot about paying attention.

You actually don't need a rod to ice fish in Canada. When I go out I just need a green sapling, a piece of flag tape, line, lure, weight and a worm. Worm goes on the lure, lure goes down the hole, once the line hits bottom I haul in about 45 cm, attach the flag tape and loop the line on the sapling. Done right the tape will get dragged right down the hole when a fish bites :winky:

The catch is if you forget to clear the holes of ice the flag tape will get snagged and you'll lose your fish! :silly:

Archived