Adding new stuff + complaining

I feel like too much stuff is being added. I love The Long dark because it's as much as an experience as a game, but with a lot of mechanics, it adds to the game but detracts from the "experience" part of it. Maybe it's just nostalgia for version .302.

Now for the complaining lightning round!

You switched the cancel and confirm buttons around. Put them back.

Let us store food indoors. That's where the containers are and food is easier to access there.

Keep the unique artstyle. It feels with all this new stuff, you are gradually abandoning it. For me, things like the footprints and HD textures conflict with the older, artsy textures.

Let us throw flares again. I like doing that.

Remove the distress pistol from the Ravine. It's too easy to get.

I don't like the new font. Let us choose a font.

I for one ****love**** the HD effects. I feel a lot more immersed in the atmosphere.

Really, my only complaint ( and it's a minor one) about The Long Dark is graphics, cause I am a graphics junkie. That being said I cannot stand games like COD, Battlefield series, or even FO4. 

And ironically the version .225 graphics kind of grew on me^_^

BUT, I do love the realistic footprint effects  and the more realistic things look, again, the more I get drawn in.

Just one guy's opinion.

On June 23, 2016 at 2:27 PM, Salty Crackers said:

I feel like too much stuff is being added. I love The Long dark because it's as much as an experience as a game, but with a lot of mechanics, it adds to the game but detracts from the "experience" part of it. Maybe it's just nostalgia for version .302.

Now for the complaining lightning round!

You switched the cancel and confirm buttons around. Put them back.

Let us store food indoors. That's where the containers are and food is easier to access there.

Keep the unique artstyle. It feels with all this new stuff, you are gradually abandoning it. For me, things like the footprints and HD textures conflict with the older, artsy textures.

Let us throw flares again. I like doing that.

Remove the distress pistol from the Ravine. It's too easy to get.

I don't like the new font. Let us choose a font.

I think they need to focus more on filling up the world with new things , the mechanics are great already it just feels too empty and unrewarding in the world.  There have been so many times I just walk past little corners and hills because I know nothing will be there, I wish the game rewarded exploration a lot more than it does now. 

12 hours ago, Nasdaq401 said:

think they need to focus more on filling up the world with new things , the mechanics are great already it just feels too empty and unrewarding in the world.  There have been so many times I just walk past little corners and hills because I know nothing will be there, I wish the game rewarded exploration a lot more than it does now. 

What I was taking about in the "experience" part of it is when you're just wandering around an empty world, just taking everything in. In a way, adding more loot in the world would detract from that. This is separate from not adding too many new mechanics, though.

17 hours ago, Nasdaq401 said:

I think they need to focus more on filling up the world with new things , the mechanics are great already it just feels too empty and unrewarding in the world.  There have been so many times I just walk past little corners and hills because I know nothing will be there, I wish the game rewarded exploration a lot more than it does now. 

I dont wannt to make world a trash can, it will merely extend the problem, not fix it.

At some point i was toying with idea of making world more dynamic, eg not just loot and move to the next area deal.

Like making each area unique, having specific "theme", like ability to grow stuff in small greenhouse in PV, ability to siphon fuel from from wings of the jet in TwM, ability to collect salt water and then evaporate it for salt(and then use it to preserve and/or spice up meat) in CH, etc. So that each area would have value after player looted it clean, so that game would provide player with incentive to always do something except scavenging.

Or random events, like, for example, helicopter frying over and crashing in the gulf in CH. Then player has to make a choice. He can wait out the fire and then try to scavenge remains or go in right away, risking potential burns(i imagined scene from Day After Tomorrow, where english military helicopters fly into the eye of the cyclone and crash due to sudden catastrophic temperature drop) and possible death if not careful. Also, helicopter wreck is sinking into the ice due to heat of fuel fire. Each event would have a chance to occur only if player is present in location and randomly preselected conditions are met. Similar to rifle spawn, but with wider parameters.

Or another type of random events, but this time nature-related and repeatable, like animal migration(either in or out of area, making possible absence of all or select animals for up to a month) or blizzard that can last for up to a week(we used to have those in early builds).

Currently i usually loot clean all areas by day 100-150, then hang around for about a week and start a new game, since there is nothing left to do, or at least no point of doing anything else, im as good as it ever gets. Peak reached.

19 hours ago, ShawnB said:

I feel the exact same #Dirmagnos. I've mentioned how  Sandbox events would add a lot to this game. I also get the 100 days mark and restart a new game. Long term survival is just not engaging enough.

Interesting read and id say implementing it could have it merits. But i wouldnt wannt events that would be critical gamechangers, like robbery, where you did fairly ok and then youre suddently screwed, without any fault of your own. Why God, ohh why ? Because rng !

Similar is problem with bear, aka The Hunted, it would be nice if overly aggressive bear or an actual wolf pack would settle in in some area and be rather territorial. But i wouldnt wannt the same bear chase me across several maps, "just because". Unless those things will be optional.

I dont play challenges since i absolutely despise games/modes/maps where player is on a timer, like "defend for 10 minutes or lose". Games like that severely test my patience(because they annoy me greatly and require often multiple restart until player figures out usually extremely primitive solution, one and only that works) and i consider them to be of extremely low quality. If i cant take my time to sid down and think(i, in general, consider my playing style be mainly steamrolling, slow and steady wins the day) or use various, non preset tactics, i will literally just skip that game.

Archived