Flares

I've brought this up a few times already, but I think you should make flares throwable again. Before the update, flares were a valuable tool which could basically get you 1 wolf. Now, they're basically windproof torches. I feel it's kind of dumb you removed the entire firetrap mechanic. Yes, a small torch in the snow shouldn't deter a wolf, but a loud flare would do the trick.

:flare:

I think there's something in the new wolf UI to do with "surprise."  Not sure how else to describe it but if they first encounter you and your brand, torch, flare, or fire at close distance -- they flee.  If they can spot these from a distance and still agro on you, they don't flee.

I had an interesting experience with this, completely by chance.  I was looting cargo containers (TWM, stalker) in my newly-spawned clothes, so I had a fire built next to the container while I worked.  Two wolves agro'd me (independently, not in lockstep) from the far side of the container and ran at me.  They each jumped over the container, saw the fire and ran away.  Re-agro'd, then did it again.  Over and over.  The fire was not in their line-of-sight from where they agro'd me, instead it was a "surprise" when they came over the container.  (I don't remember which build this was, but it was after the v321 changes came into game.)

I've seen this quite a few times with an already-lit flare, where a wolf (not yet agro on me) comes out from behind a nearby tree, spots the flare, and flees.

Another thing that kind of bugs me is the fact you can get the distress pistol in the Ravine. It feeled lake a major challenge to climb Timberwolf Mountain, but it has much less of a draw now. There should be a case there with flare shells, but make it around a 10% chance of spawning the actual gun.

23 hours ago, Salty Crackers said:

Another thing that kind of bugs me is the fact you can get the distress pistol in the Ravine. It feeled lake a major challenge to climb Timberwolf Mountain, but it has much less of a draw now. There should be a case there with flare shells, but make it around a 10% chance of spawning the actual gun.

I really agree with this.

And on fires... it makes sense for wolves to fear fire -- especially a large flame.
I mean, it's what the survivors do in all the movies, right? (The Edge, The Grey....  )

I'm glad wolves don't just stop and stare like they used to.  That "easy meat" trick was an exploit.

Are you remembering to brandish the flare though? I've had several wolfs aggro on me (not at the same time) and successfully brandished them away using the new flare mechanics. I've also scared off a bear long enough to run away. I think the new system actually works really well once you're used to it ^_^

@cekivi yep, agree.  The build a fire QUICK trick still works too.  On my current stalker game I was crossing a zone with a brand that was just starting to sputter when the wolf noticed me.  I started a fire with the brand and a little kerosene to help it along.  No more zombie mode, of course, but the wolf fled!  

In fact I've had that "surprise" thing I mentioned earlier in the thread happen again in this playthrough.  I built a fire by the basement in crumbling highway to make water and cook food.  A wolf found me, then spotted the fire as it came around the building, and fled.  Over and over, during the course of 2 or 3 in-game hours, while I did my cooking.

49 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

In fact I've had that "surprise" thing I mentioned earlier in the thread happen again in this playthrough.  I built a fire by the basement in crumbling highway to make water and cook food.  A wolf found me, then spotted the fire as it came around the building, and fled.  Over and over, during the course of 2 or 3 in-game hours, while I did my cooking.

The cycling (you'd think the wolf would remember?) is honestly more of an annoyance to me than the new flare mechanics.

Archived