Share your Fluffy stories!

Kakapo

So, about a week ago, I held up in the dam. It was a blizzard outside, and I barely escaped with my life. I considered how lucky I was to find this relic of a dying world. There were so many supplies, and so much food. I was happy, until I heard it. Footsteps? No, no way, animals never enter buildings. It's just the noise from the dam. No, that was definitely footsteps. I turn on my lantern and walk to the stairs. I see movement, I barely register it before the wolf charges at me. I try to fight him, but I fade away, already weakened by the blizzard. 

I later discover his name was Fluffy, and he's CHD's no. 1 resident. So, for those of you who discovered your warm fluffy housemate the hard way, please share your stories :)

-K

Oh I learned the hard way but thankfully I was in tip top condition... I escape a blizzard much like you said.. Only venture through the first initial doorway and begin looting. My clothes or rather my rags werent in good condition and I found replacements.. So I begin harvesting for cloth what I can manage without. During this time I decide to turn off my lantern. Needing to save fuel and what not. At a certain point I think I hear footsteps amidst the whistling wind and the tearing of fabric. I shrug it off thinking its gotta be my imagination. Right as im repairing my clothes suddenly a wolf with unprecedented ferocity lunges at me from the darkness. I fend him off and turn my lantern on.... Gone...

"Ill remember that!!...Just you wait.. Round 2 will be different!!"

• 1 month later...

My Fluffy encounter happened 4 days into my first (and, to date, only - it's still going on) sandbox game.
I thought the camp office on Mystery lake would be a good place to survive for a while, and my first exploration into the fishing huts confirmed this. Unfortunately, the next day, none of the huts I hadn't explored - or even the cabins on the lake - had any food. By day four it was time to leave, and luckily I headed for the dam!

Before I got there, I managed to find a hunting knife, and I lit a flare to scare off a few wolves that were outside. The flare was still lit by the time I entered the tunnel, where I first met Fluffy. My flare must have scared the beast, since it ran right past me without stopping to tear my throat out.

Then Fluffy returned, and after 2 scraps I emerged triumphant, using the new wolf meat to keep me alive long enough to find another base (This one was on the Coastal Highway, and it's where I am to this day.)

'twas in late 2014 or so, I don't recall precisely, but very early - shortly after the game got to GoG. I played, eventually found the dam and thought "Hey, this is a neat place!".

And so I went, doing what I do in every game - steal everything that isn't bolted down, steal the bolts, repeat - and went on with my business. Then Fluffy attacked. Fluffy was actually my first wolf attack, and just like a first girlfriend, I will never forget Fluffy. My heart was beating, I needed a new keyboard the next day, I didn't know what to do - yeah, aside from the keyboard thing, much like a first girlfriend.

Fluffy killed me out there. My heart stopped beating, my blood stopped flowing, I was wondering why and what I did wrong, cursed, put other characters in stupidly dangerous situations... yeah, just like a first girlfriend.

I think I am overanalyzing this situation so I'm gonna stop now :D

The first time I encountered Fluffy; I peed a little... ok a lot !!  

Backed myself into the control room lit a flare and found out it scared him.  So I dropped in the doorway so I could see him coming and backed into the corner with my rifle.  When he finally came back, I thought "this is it, I have him now" !!  That was it alright; as he approached the door I readied my rifle and... the flare went out. O.o:o:|:( <my emotions at that point in order.  Then I died.  He attacked me faster than a drunken prom date.  Sad days.

In my early days I would avoid the Dam until the very end...something about that wolf in the dark gives me the creeps.  My most recent sandbox has my favorite experience with Fluffy...for whatever reason he never spawned....that's the first time that has ever happened for me.  Thanks for taking a vacation Fluffy.

In my current sandbox I didn't meet Fluffy yet, but usually I kill her ASAP.

For me Fluffy was no surprise as I've seen The Long Dark on Youtube before I played it myself and saw people getting killed by Fluffy.
I think the only time when Fluffy killed me was a year ago when TLD had a combat system which I really did not understand at all and lost every wolf encounter.

In the nomad challenge I played recently it was a bit awkward. I entered the dam from the lower entry and there was no Fluffy.
But later on (you need to stay there) she spawned out of nowhere. Not sure if that was due to the grace period (went almost straight to the dam) or if she just doesn't spawn instantly if you enter from the lower levels.

BTW, in my current sandbox there is no Scruffy. Searched every bit of that cave and no wolf.
Never had a game where Fluffy wasn't there though, so soon she will die. :>

I also assumed I was safe indoors, casually strolled downstairs with my lantern out and bam! there was fluffy about 2 meters left of the entrance.  He didn't see me somehow and I backed up and got my rifle out, then I edged round the corner but was so flustered I missed my shot... inevitable knife fight ensued.

Second time I stripped naked and charged him screaming with my knife out (for this method to be properly manly it should be done in a blizzard, but you have to take what you're given).  :D 

I killed Fluffy and took only 6% damage in my latest playthrough. I was stunned. Unfortunately, that meant I didn't realize you cannot throw flares anymore, and not all wolf fights will be so easy.  Was hiding behind a rock near the Train Derailment later that same game, at 51% health. Wolf smelled me I guess, came around from the side, I did the flair thing and it did NOTHING. Died before the battle ended, still not sure if holding a flair meant I wasn't using a knife during the battle like I had with Fluffy.

Anyway, I call that Fluffy's Revenge, since the only reason I was so careless was the false sense of confidence she gave me at the start of that run.

Archived