Firebrand sound effects

@Ruruwawa It happens both indoors and outdoors.

This is how it occurs: when my current brand is around 10% I start a new fire using the brand. When the fire has started with the currently-held-brand I add one stick to the fire then immediately pull a new brand from it which causes the old brand to auto-drop to the ground.

The new brand has a louder sound than the previous one, but not too bad, however by the time I've done this a few more times the "fire" sound from the brand is louder than anything else in the game. It sounds like a loud fire roaring on a windy day...right next to your ear.

I car barely hear the music, the wolves howling, footsteps...it overpowers everything.

Wow, good catch!  I don't run brands continually so that's probably why I haven't heard this.   Seems like a bug, I'll try to repro.

UPDATE: Yep. I can confirm if you "chain" brands by lighting a new fire with the brand then pulling a new brand out, the sound ratchets up.  It's pretty subtle for the first couple brands but quite noticeable after a few generations.  (BTW, I didn't wait for the current brand to burn down to 10%, just started the fires in rapid succession.)

While testing I always kept the brand used to light the new fire in my hand.  Pulling out a new brand caused the current one to drop to the ground.  So it seems the noise issue occurs regardless of whether you drop the current brand before pulling a new one.

I noticed a related issue.  Starting with the fourth "chained" brand using the "don't drop current brand first" approach, the new brands no longer gave off light (heat and duration were normal).  But if I dropped the current brand before pulling the new one, I got a normal level of light. 

Caveat: tiny sample size.  It's been a long day and I need to get to bed so I only ran the "noise" test twice, stopping at the 10th generation.  I also ran the "no more light" test only twice.

@Wasteland Watcher This thread probably belongs in the bug report forum.  I have no idea how to move it :)

3 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

Wow, good catch!  I don't run brands continually so that's probably why I haven't heard this.   Seems like a bug, I'll try to repro.

UPDATE: Yep. I can confirm if you "chain" brands by lighting a new fire with the brand then pulling a new brand out, the sound ratchets up.  It's pretty subtle for the first couple brands but quite noticeable after a few generations.  (BTW, I didn't wait for the current brand to burn down to 10%, just started the fires in rapid succession.)

While testing I always kept the brand used to light the new fire in my hand.  Pulling out a new brand caused the current one to drop to the ground.  So it seems the noise issue occurs regardless of whether you drop the current brand before pulling a new one.

I noticed a related issue.  Starting with the fourth "chained" brand using the "don't drop current brand first" approach, the new brands no longer gave off light (heat and duration were normal).  But if I dropped the current brand before pulling the new one, I got a normal level of light. 

Caveat: tiny sample size.  It's been a long day and I need to get to bed so I only ran the "noise" test twice, stopping at the 10th generation.  I also ran the "no more light" test only twice.

@Wasteland Watcher This thread probably belongs in the bug report forum.  I have no idea how to move it :)

@Ruruwawa Thank you very much for helping check that it's not just me it occurs with :)
I agree that this probably needs to be re-classed from 'feedback' to 'bug report.' 

CC: @Patrick Carlson; @Support

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2016 at 0:49 AM, Patrick Carlson said:

Thanks for the report on this. Strange indeed! We'll look into it. 

Good evening, Patrick.

Since I'm a very regular "chain brander" I was wondering if the engineering team considered fixing the really, really loud effect from chain branding in the next patch?

On 5/20/2016 at 1:19 AM, Patrick Carlson said:

Thanks for the report on this. Strange indeed! We'll look into it. 

this post is odd, earlier today i read about it being something to do with bot site, now its changed to this. some peeps love changing shite :)

Anyway brands suck in 3.39. you can't re-add them to the fire. when they burn out they just  hang around like smoke butts.

2 hours ago, nicko said:

try what?

and firebrands suck

Just saying if you tried to reproduce the bug yourself you'd see it isn't fake. Dunno where your "bots" stuff comes (maybe it's on your end?) but this thread is unchanged for me.

Re brands, I also dislike the immortal trash they create.  But functionally they don't "suck."  I use them a lot in my Voyageur and Stalker games where loot (like flares, lanterns and fuel) is a lot less common than in Pilgrim and temperatures + body heat loss are a lot more severe.  Since the indoor lighting changes in v338, brands also make a fair substitute for torches and lanterns.  Would I prefer a lantern with huge reserved of fuel?   Sure.  But we have to make do with what circumstances provide.

@nicko - If you have specific feedback please post it in the General Discussion thread. Let's keep the off-topic remarks out of the Technical Forum. 

In regards to when this bug will get fixed, outside of game breaking bugs we don't make commitments when issues like this will be addressed. Generally we try to get as much quality of life bug fixes into updates as we can, though.

Since this thread has run it's course I am locking it. If you would like to continue to discuss the brands in general please feel free to discuss it in the General forum. 

Archived