Rationing food and water

LucidFlare

I was thinking, why can't we ration our food? I think it'd be nice if we could choose how much of something we eat/drink. If I find a can of beans it'd be nice if I could eat...say half of it. Then the other half later. Maybe have some kind of container to put the extra/leftover food in and only let it hold one type of food at a time. If that'd even be necessary. Just an idea I had and was curious what everyone else thought. 

Hit escape when you've eaten enough of that can 'o beans and you'll cancel the rest of the meal. 

It sits in your inventory in an open can - really easy to spot when scanning that inventory menu. 

Unfortunately, there seems to be no in game mechanism for rationing one's farts from the beans . . . 

Just now, hauteecolerider said:

Hit escape when you've eaten enough of that can 'o beans and you'll cancel the rest of the meal. 

It sits in your inventory in an open can - really easy to spot when scanning that inventory menu. 

Unfortunately, there seems to be no in game mechanism for rationing one's farts from the beans . . . 

So does that work with water and everything else? Candy bars, Sodas, etc...

Why would you do that in the first place except, when you are very very low on food which rarely happens. Also since starvation has little effect on your health it is better not to touch the food at all and only eat about 350 cal every second day and you will be ok. I found that this technique is the best for rationing food. You can also go for every third day but it is extreme especially if you  find yourself in wolves populated area. However if you stay at home because of the weather or waiting for wolves to clear out you can go on 3 days without food and eat on the fourth day thus regaining your health and continue exploring.

6 minutes ago, vancopower said:

Why would you do that in the first place except, when you are very very low on food which rarely happens. Also since starvation has little effect on your health it is better not to touch the food at all and only eat about 350 cal every second day and you will be ok. I found that this technique is the best for rationing food. You can also go for every third day but it is extreme especially if you  find yourself in wolves populated area. However if you stay at home because of the weather or waiting for wolves to clear out you can go on 3 days without food and eat on the fourth day thus regaining your health and continue exploring.

I haven't played the game that long but there seems to be a heavy focus on realism to an extent. I just thought it'd be a nice little detail. As someone else has stated. It's already in the game essentially. Instead of a clearly defined "I want to eat this much" you just guess and cancel the eating status early.

19 minutes ago, LucidFlare said:

I haven't played the game that long but there seems to be a heavy focus on realism to an extent. I just thought it'd be a nice little detail. As someone else has stated. It's already in the game essentially. Instead of a clearly defined "I want to eat this much" you just guess and cancel the eating status early.

Well you can use that method on 800 cal venison if you are at 70% or 80% condition to save food but once you gut a deer you will have all the food in the world so it is pointless. However meat now spoils much slower so yea it might be worth while to do that.

Well it is not focused on realism so much it is not a simulator after all, but it is focused on personal survivor experience and your tolerance to be eaten by wolves most of the time :)  It is unique game and when it will be released it will be hit people will talk about this one for years.

Archived