The dead bear's revenge

Axe

After successfully killing another bear I did the next obvious thing, which is to butcher it.

What I failed to do on this occasion however is butcher the bear in stages rather than all at once... after unwittingly maxing out the skin, guts and meat, I began harvesting and died of hypothermia after a few seconds.

My suggestion therefore is to add a mechanic which pauses long duration tasks when one of your life indicators (dehydration, sleep, temperature, hunger) reaches a critical point. Perhaps one pause when one of the values reaches the critical point of 100% and a second pause when the value reaches 20% based on whichever life indicator is the lowest. The idea is that you have a chance to take appropriate action to prevent your death instead of mindlessly pursuing a long task.

Actually you make the conscious decision to break it up in stages. When I harvest wolves, deer and bear, I tend to get the meat first, or the hides and gut first, then pause, check my surroundings and my condition, then harvest the rest. It's all in the menu. The last time I harvested a bear, I took about 15 kg first, then paused. It was good that I did, because when I looked up, I was in a full blown blizzard! The bear had just died south of the car in front of the PV farmhouse, and his nose pointed in that direction (I made sure I knew which way he was pointing), so I just followed the line of his nose and made it back without losing too much condition.

I caught hypothermia once when I decided the snowfall wasn't that bad, and decided to harvest that fourth and final rabbit from my line of snares. One bad decision cost me a whole day of indoor recovery time.

But really, it's what I love about this game.

1 minute ago, TheRealNFK said:

I caught hypothermia once when I decided the snowfall wasn't that bad, and decided to harvest that fourth and final rabbit from my line of snares. One bad decision cost me a whole day of indoor recovery time.

But really, it's what I love about this game.

This.

Several of my early deaths were due to harvesting too much.  I had a 2 hour or longer harvest time, and would come out either in a complete fog, or freezing cold.  Once I got hypothermia this way.  Now, I only harvest pieces in 1 hour or less chunks.  That way, if there's a weather change, I can head to safety and come back to finish the rest later.

Archived