Clothing

Pasquinel

First a few comments on existing clothing items.

I know that some have commented on the need for more cold weather clothing especially since the effort to maintain the crafted items such as deerskin pants and wolf jacket seems to be exhausting. I spent a lot of time to make my shaggy dog coat and was extremely pleased with myself, only to have it degrade to worn out in a week. These items seem to degrade far to quickly and you need an almost constant supply of cured skins to repair or recreate. Which means you are constantly hunting and collecting pelts for this, then waiting days for them to cure. In most cases the items wear out before this can be done so you have to start from 0 all over again.

I've found it's much easier and safer in terms of resources and time to maintain the "artificial clothing" expending less effort i.e. calories, energy, exposure to danger.

The natural crafted items should be more durable and degrade more slowly.

Also I think the footwear should be more durable. A good pair of Sorels which are made for this environment would last more then a few days. In game, a pair of insulated boots will wear out much to quickly IMO.

Now one item of clothing the really should be in the game.

• WOOL PANTS, How are these not in the game. I lived in Vermont for 20 years. I spent countless hours in the woods hunting in extreme weather and I can guarantee that if you snooped around any hunting camp, lumber mill, lake cabin in Vermont or with our friends north of the 38th parallel you would find a pair of wool pants somewhere. They are durable and keep you warm even when wet. Absolutely there should be woolies in TLD. 

16 minutes ago, Pasquinel said:

First a few comments on existing clothing items.

I know that some have commented on the need for more cold weather clothing especially since the effort to maintain the crafted items such as deerskin pants and wolf jacket seems to be exhausting. I spent a lot of time to make my shaggy dog coat and was extremely pleased with myself, only to have it degrade to worn out in a week. These items seem to degrade far to quickly and you need an almost constant supply of cured skins to repair or recreate. Which means you are constantly hunting and collecting pelts for this, then waiting days for them to cure. In most cases the items wear out before this can be done so you have to start from 0 all over again.

I've found it's much easier and safer in terms of resources and time to maintain the "artificial clothing" expending less effort i.e. calories, energy, exposure to danger.

The natural crafted items should be more durable and degrade more slowly.

Also I think the footwear should be more durable. A good pair of Sorels which are made for this environment would last more then a few days. In game, a pair of insulated boots will wear out much to quickly IMO.

Now one item of clothing the really should be in the game.

• WOOL PANTS, How are these not in the game. I lived in Vermont for 20 years. I spent countless hours in the woods hunting in extreme weather and I can guarantee that if you snooped around any hunting camp, lumber mill, lake cabin in Vermont or with our friends north of the 38th parallel you would find a pair of wool pants somewhere. They are durable and keep you warm even when wet. Absolutely there should be woolies in TLD. 

Thanks for your thoughts on this. And welcome to the forums as well. :)

In terms of woolen gear, how would you balance a pair of wool pants against the current clothing options in the game?

--Patrick

Hi Patrick.

Well it seems to me so far that for pant's there are basically (2) options if there are others I haven't found them yet.

1. Blue Jeans or
  2. Deer Skin Pants

The jeans are an obvious and natural starting point but for long term survival no real benefit.

The deer skin pants are cool, and add to the survival man vs nature immersion, but time consuming to make and not as durable as I had thought they would be, which means they require costly resource maintenance to upkeep, which in terms of survival can outweigh their benefit.

While for coats, sweaters and even long johns there are several options, which are all good.

So I think there could be some room in there for wool pants. They should give added warmth and wind protection like the heavy wool sweater does or the Peacoat, be heavier,  more durable than blue jeans but not more wind protective and durable than deerskin.

I know you guys get deluged with this stuff but it seemed natural to me to have wool pants, since you spend so much time fighting the cold in this game but maybe because they are so common place where I'm from.

Thanks.

Actually there are also cargo pants in the game which are better than blue jeans and supposedly more durable. I haven't yet tested them out so I don't really know.

The problem with man-made clothing is that they are repairable only as long as you have cloth pieces to repair them with. Once all the cloth pieces in the game are used up (including those you may harvest from other clothing) that's it. So for long- long- long-term survival hide clothing is the way to go. 

Sounds like you play very differently from me, since I've not had any problem keeping a stock of cured deer and wolf pelts on hand. I killed my requisite two bears for the bedroll, but I am still relying on the man-made bedrolls because they're lighter to lug around and easier to repair. So the bear bedroll doesn't get as much use, and doesn't wear out as quickly.

I wouldn't mind actually if the devs replaced the cargo pants with woolen pants such as you speak of. They seem like they would be better for this kind of weather, too. But maybe paired with the woolen long johns they might be too bulky and too warm??

Though in TLD you're never too warm . . . :winky:

15 minutes ago, hauteecolerider said:

Actually there are also cargo pants in the game which are better than blue jeans and supposedly more durable. I haven't yet tested them out so I don't really know.

The problem with man-made clothing is that they are repairable only as long as you have cloth pieces to repair them with. Once all the cloth pieces in the game are used up (including those you may harvest from other clothing) that's it. So for long- long- long-term survival hide clothing is the way to go. 

Sounds like you play very differently from me, since I've not had any problem keeping a stock of cured deer and wolf pelts on hand. I killed my requisite two bears for the bedroll, but I am still relying on the man-made bedrolls because they're lighter to lug around and easier to repair. So the bear bedroll doesn't get as much use, and doesn't wear out as quickly.

I wouldn't mind actually if the devs replaced the cargo pants with woolen pants such as you speak of. They seem like they would be better for this kind of weather, too. But maybe paired with the woolen long johns they might be too bulky and too warm??

Though in TLD you're never too warm . . . :winky:

That's right can you ever really be too warm in TLD...:) I haven't found the cargo pants yet so I didn't know about them but yes I think wool pants would be better if not aesthetically certainly functionally.

On 31-3-2016 at 6:54 PM, Pasquinel said:

I spent a lot of time to make my shaggy dog coat and was extremely pleased with myself, only to have it degrade to worn out in a week. These items seem to degrade far to quickly and you need an almost constant supply of cured skins to repair or recreate. Which means you are constantly hunting and collecting pelts for this, then waiting days for them to cure. In most cases the items wear out before this can be done so you have to start from 0 all over again.

After reading this, I do wonder how you play TLD... Unless something has changed drastically since the last update, the only way clothes could deteriorate that fast would be to go outside whenever there is a blizzard and fight every wolf and bear you can find. I'm well into 300 days (on stalker). I finished my full set of crafted clothes just before day 100 and I have only repaired the coat once and the pants and boots twice or so. I have to admit I don't wear them all the time, especially the coat as I find it's too heavy sometimes. I'd rather be able to carry more stuff back when I go on a supply run. But still I wear them a lot.

You should know that blizzards wear down clothes much more quickly than any other weather and wolf attacks can damage clothes and bear attacks even more so. I hardly ever get into fights with wolves and find the nearest shelter when a blizzard hits. I find the crafted clothes last pretty good the way I play.

That said, I don't mind some extra options for the 'artificial' clothes and more woolen items would make sense to me. On the other hand people would have taken their best clothes with them when they left, so they should be rarer than the blue jeans by far.

On 31-3-2016 at 7:15 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

Thanks for your thoughts on this. And welcome to the forums as well. :)

In terms of woolen gear, how would you balance a pair of wool pants against the current clothing options in the game?

--Patrick

I think woolen pants should be a bit warmer than the cargo pants but have the same windproof bonus. To balance them they should be heavier and rarer than cargo pants.

For example:

Jeans: +1C / +0C / .5kg (warmth bonus in degrees C / windproof bonus in degrees C / weight in kg)

Cargo pants: +1.5C / +.5C / .5kg

Wool pants: +2 / +.5 / 1kg

Deerskin pants: +3 / +3 / 2kg?

I also think the cargo pants should be more common. A lot of people have never even found a pair of cargo pants at all. Given that the deerskin pants are much better anyway, there really is no need for the cargo pants to be so rare.

10 hours ago, elloco999 said:

I think woolen pants should be a bit warmer than the cargo pants but have the same windproof bonus. To balance them they should be heavier and rarer than cargo pants.

For example:

Jeans: +1C / +0C / .5kg (warmth bonus in degrees C / windproof bonus in degrees C / weight in kg)

Cargo pants: +1.5C / +.5C / .5kg

Wool pants: +2 / +.5 / 1kg

Deerskin pants: +3 / +3 / 2kg?

I also think the cargo pants should be more common. A lot of people have never even found a pair of cargo pants at all. Given that the deerskin pants are much better anyway, there really is no need for the cargo pants to be so rare.

+1

Wool pants are awesome. I have an old pair that I used to wear for ice fishing. Super warm (even when wet) and they were quite good at blocking the wind too. I would argue that a full degree of windproofing or make them exactly halfway between cargo pants and deerskin pants would be fair.

Archived