Indestructable backpack has to go

Axe

Does anyone else think that the backpack should have wear and tear on it?

Now I know the backpack is an item because you simply can't hold so many items with just 2 hands, and still perform tasks like cutting wood. Somehow my backpack doesn't degrade even though it's carrying sharps, and rough heavy items like wood. My items degrade, I degrade, so my backpack should degrade as well.

Also backpacks should really be items you pick up, since I don't think many people climb out of plane wreckage wearing a great big backpack.

Another feature could be that if my backpack reaches a certain low durability value, items can accidently drop out of it. Which could very well happen if your backpack had some holes in it from wear and tear. Then you'd have to spend time backtracking to try and find something you dropped, realistic and totally annoying, but still.

Any thoughts?

This has been raised a couple of times, and while I'm not a huge fan of backpack durability/losing items/destroying the pack (I would think losing your pack would be a real fail state), I think it could work nonetheless. What I'm a big fan of is the idea of finding different bags and packs that made small adjustments to carrying capacity. Finding a proper hiking pack early game would be like finding 98% cargo pants in the first house you visited.

Another popular idea has been a hotkey to drop your pack entirely, giving you a much higher move-speed. That would enable you to escape from chasing wolves/bears, but you'd be down to just your clothes and whatever was in your hands.

I feel like different types of makes make a lot more sense for the game, including your pockets.  I wear a stealth pack on my chest, small backpack, and waist bag while hiking, rather than a giant bag on my back.  My small female body can't handle that crap.  If they added bags of different sizes and types inventory clutter would be reduced and organized.  Crafting new bags and FIXING them just makes a whole lot of sense.  If you completely destroy your bag, you still have your pockets to keep a few items in.  Far more realistic.

Adding whole mechanic for various packs and pockets would be nice. Would also add more depth to clothing part, as making wolf coat with pockets would require far more effort. Not just backpack, but smaller pouches, including specialized ones, like nets for carrying rabbit carcasses or "fire cans"(tin can with embers in it).

Do you realize we don't actually have any container objects in the game? They are all magic like the back pack, the water bottles and the various fuel containers. Containers is an important part of survival doctrine but how to rationalize them now? One should have a pouch of some kind to carry arrow heads especially flint or glass ones; same for stone blades.

Perhaps there is a use for some kind of reed basket container? More of a spring/summer thing when gathering becomes possible.

Spoilers: In the movie, The Edge, they capture a squirrel using a woven basket trap. Later on they feast on brown bear meat taken with a spear braced into the ground! On the survival TV shows we often see attempts to make fish basket traps with mixed results. Joe of Dual Survival caught a crab in one using bait. Les Stroud caught a turtle in a weir trap in the swamp. Getting fish is a seasonal kind of thing in the North; often the best success is during spawning season when they move upriver from the ocean.

If you were able to get mussels by crawling under the ice, you would need a container to hold them I would think. :dog_food:

Great idea, also the holes and loosing (smaller?) items is great, a sound should indicate loosing an item when it hits the floor, depending on weight with almost no sound for items like candy bars, especially in storms sound of an item falling sohuld be hard to hear.
Also maybe a bit of topic but the mind of the protagonist in TLD, i don't know it's like he has more than excellent body controll since he's always running naked, he doesn't wear his clothes since they're still in his backpack taking up weight, his mind makes his body think he is warm and he has no longer cold, like buddhist monks up in the mountains!

Archived