My LONG List of Ideas (Plz read)

lucbay300

After spending a few weeks in Canada during the winter I have come up with a few ideas that I could be put into the game. They are as follows:

-Goggles/sun glasses to prevent against snow blindness and help with storm visiblity

-TENTS! and craftable survival shelters

-Being able to use cat tails as clothes insulators

-CROSS COUNTRY SKIS! with separate boots that you have to find

-Snow shoes as well

-Deep snow and slippery ice

-Different sleeping bags

-Snow mobile (maybe, probably not)

-Camping stoves

-Maps or possibly map fragments (cliche though)

-THE FRICKING PLANE YOU CRASHED IN!

-Frost bite in different parts of your body (feet hands face) and the ability to stop and for example take off your gloves to warm up your hands.

-Liner gloves/socks

-Face mask for windchill protection

-Being able to use your tools/weapons like you can a gun!!!

-Snow pants

-A wetness/moisture factor

-Warming up when you run

-1kg of meat is a huge meal not a light snack!!!!

-Different size backpacks

-SLEDS to pull your gear at the cost of speed

-More varied houses, they re very similar and get boring

-FLASHLIGHTS/headlamps w/ batteries

-More kinds of traps for animals (please!!!!! this could be really cool!!!!!)

-Binoculars(?)

-Please rework or tweak the food system it's a little excessive

-More afflictions!

-More MUSIC! If you guys find good music you could really amplify the atmosphere of the game!

Thanks again for the great game It's pretty amazing already but those were just a few ideas I had.

just a few things I'd like to respond to:

-The plane you crashed in is probably the one in Timberwolf mountain :)

-I think that meat consumption/ calory gain is actually balanced to a decent point, not because it makes sense but because in normal events you could probably survive off of a deer for quite some time given you have the possibility to preserve the food. Obviously that ability could at a lot to the game again and meat could yet again provide more calories, but this would be a huge change to the game as is and would probably delay the release considerably. Depends on where the devs want to go. 

-flashlights: The general idea behind the game is that electricity doesn't really work anymore because of the geomagnetic storm, thus flashlights aren't all that viable. Of course a geomagnetic event that would have destroyed all electricity would probably also have cause quite some radiation but that aside, you get where this is going. 

- warming up when you run can be quite a tricky thing, the next logical step would be sweating when you run which again would lead to freezing more when you stop running. 

- Backpacks could offer quite some potential as you would have yet another thing you would want to craft/ another milestone. Though you have to keep in mind that backpacks shouldn't necessarily increase the weight you can carry around with you but only the amount of different items you can store on you. Carrying around 30 kg seems quite heavy already tbh. And I say that even though i know it can be frustrating to throw things away, but that just adds aditional decision making in my mind. With that said, I don't necessarily agree on backpacks, even though the gamer in me obviously is saying HEY i want to pick up that backpack and carry 20 kg more I don't think it would add to the game. 

- related to that: craftable Sleds or improvised ski could actually be a really good idea, :) Sleds can definitely increase the weight you can carry with you and ski could just increase your seed/ endurance. 

- A map could maybe be implemented if you draw into a cured deer hide with blood. you could hang that deer hide on the wall and everytime you come back from exploring you could take some time updating the map. 

On 23.2.2016 at 2:47 AM, lucbay300 said:

Have you ever walked or even sprinted in snow on -40 degrees, you'll burn calories like plane burns kerosene. Maybe you are small person but still you need to eat a lot to get warm maybe twice or three times than your usual diet.

On 23.2.2016 at 2:47 AM, lucbay300 said:

Have you ever walked or even sprinted in snow on -40 degrees, you'll burn calories like plane burns kerosene. Maybe you are small person but still you need to eat a lot to get warm maybe twice or three times than your usual diet.

22 hours ago, AverageGatsby said:

just a few things I'd like to respond to:

-The plane you crashed in is probably the one in Timberwolf mountain :)

-I think that meat consumption/ calory gain is actually balanced to a decent point, not because it makes sense but because in normal events you could probably survive off of a deer for quite some time given you have the possibility to preserve the food. Obviously that ability could at a lot to the game again and meat could yet again provide more calories, but this would be a huge change to the game as is and would probably delay the release considerably. Depends on where the devs want to go. 

-flashlights: The general idea behind the game is that electricity doesn't really work anymore because of the geomagnetic storm, thus flashlights aren't all that viable. Of course a geomagnetic event that would have destroyed all electricity would probably also have cause quite some radiation but that aside, you get where this is going. 

- warming up when you run can be quite a tricky thing, the next logical step would be sweating when you run which again would lead to freezing more when you stop running. 

- Backpacks could offer quite some potential as you would have yet another thing you would want to craft/ another milestone. Though you have to keep in mind that backpacks shouldn't necessarily increase the weight you can carry around with you but only the amount of different items you can store on you. Carrying around 30 kg seems quite heavy already tbh. And I say that even though i know it can be frustrating to throw things away, but that just adds aditional decision making in my mind. With that said, I don't necessarily agree on backpacks, even though the gamer in me obviously is saying HEY i want to pick up that backpack and carry 20 kg more I don't think it would add to the game. 

- related to that: craftable Sleds or improvised ski could actually be a really good idea, :) Sleds can definitely increase the weight you can carry with you and ski could just increase your seed/ endurance. 

- A map could maybe be implemented if you draw into a cured deer hide with blood. you could hang that deer hide on the wall and everytime you come back from exploring you could take some time updating the map. 

Plane in TM has nothing to do with protagonist. Will was flying de Havilland Beaver and plane in TM is a mid-size cargo plane.

While caloric output of meat is nowhere near being realistic, rebalancing it without any means of preserving food, would be pointless.

While Event would most likely fry conventional flashlights, chemical ones may be still usable.

I dont know why sweating is popping up so much. Just open up your coat for additional cooling once feeling overheated and youre good to go. With rather extreme temperatures it shouldnt be much of a problem.

30kg is not heavy. Considering that it also counts player clothes, protagonist is carrying less than 20 kilos in that backpack. There are backpacks with capacity of 100+ liters on the market and capability to carry well over 70kg of supplies in them, games 30kg recommended limit is rather silly, considering game settings. Not to mention ideas for various sleds and other mobile containers.

Blood ? Deer Hide ? Were in the middle of nowhere, proper topographic area maps should be fairly common, including compass.

2 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Plane in TM has nothing to do with protagonist. Will was flying de Havilland Beaver and plane in TM is a mid-size cargo plane.

While caloric output of meat is nowhere near being realistic, rebalancing it without any means of preserving food, would be pointless.

While Event would most likely fry conventional flashlights, chemical ones may be still usable.

I dont know why sweating is popping up so much. Just open up your coat for additional cooling once feeling overheated and youre good to go. With rather extreme temperatures it shouldnt be much of a problem.

30kg is not heavy. Considering that it also counts player clothes, protagonist is carrying less than 20 kilos in that backpack. There are backpacks with capacity of 100+ liters on the market and capability to carry well over 70kg of supplies in them, games 30kg recommended limit is rather silly, considering game settings. Not to mention ideas for various sleds and other mobile containers.

Blood ? Deer Hide ? Were in the middle of nowhere, proper topographic area maps should be fairly common, including compass.

- I don't know much about planes and i don't really care too much, but who the hell is Will? especially if I happen to play the female survivor? This isn't storymode discussion. 

- What I was trying to say is that adjusting calories/kg and kg/deer to a more realistic level would kill the game, you would have to kill one single deer and could survive for a few weeks. Kind of boring isn't it? Unless of course you make meat go bad faster and create some huge and costy milestone that can help you preserve meat for lategame. Otherwise you might already in the early parts of the game scare a wolf away from a deer carcass gather all the meet and be done "surviving".

- I don't really know what you mean by a chemical flashlight. Do you mean chemical batteries? yea they might still work, the problem is that the wiring and everything that is affected by magnetism wouldn't work anymore. (and again, it is rather unlikely that a geomagnetic event in the real world would destroy all electrics and not kill us, nevertheless that is the premise of the game.

- I think my point has gone missing: realisticly speaking a backpack does not make you stronger. It just solves the mystery of how to store so many items on your body.

- I like the exploration factor of the game and don't want to see already existing maps, you could create your owns. Blood and deer hides were just a sugestion. In terms of compasses there is again the question of how exactly the game wants to deal with the geomagnetic event and what the results of that event were. campass= magnetism. Btw isn't it possible to just check out the position of the sun?

21 hours ago, AverageGatsby said:

- I don't know much about planes and i don't really care too much, but who the hell is Will? especially if I happen to play the female survivor? This isn't storymode discussion. 

- What I was trying to say is that adjusting calories/kg and kg/deer to a more realistic level would kill the game, you would have to kill one single deer and could survive for a few weeks. Kind of boring isn't it? Unless of course you make meat go bad faster and create some huge and costy milestone that can help you preserve meat for lategame. Otherwise you might already in the early parts of the game scare a wolf away from a deer carcass gather all the meet and be done "surviving".

- I don't really know what you mean by a chemical flashlight. Do you mean chemical batteries? yea they might still work, the problem is that the wiring and everything that is affected by magnetism wouldn't work anymore. (and again, it is rather unlikely that a geomagnetic event in the real world would destroy all electrics and not kill us, nevertheless that is the premise of the game.

- I think my point has gone missing: realisticly speaking a backpack does not make you stronger. It just solves the mystery of how to store so many items on your body.

- I like the exploration factor of the game and don't want to see already existing maps, you could create your owns. Blood and deer hides were just a sugestion. In terms of compasses there is again the question of how exactly the game wants to deal with the geomagnetic event and what the results of that event were. campass= magnetism. Btw isn't it possible to just check out the position of the sun?

Will MacKenzie is a main protagonist in LD. And female survivor has been added for variability, while premise of the game remains same. Not to mention that TM plane crashed quite far from certain spawn areas and there is slim to no chance that human being would fly several miles in that missing cockpit of a plane and be completely ok upon landing.

Meat mechanics could use quite some adjustments. Like corpses would have more realistic amount of meat, but that meat, if not harvested immediately, would spoil in the corpse at accelerated rate(since decomposition processes start immediately and body, if not properly gutted asap, freezing is rather slow). At the same time, proper preservation mechanic added, where temperature is main factor in meat preservation, not this silly "in container/in backpack" that we have currently. Smoking and curing would be also nice additions.

On top of that making hunting tad harder, fixing hunt-by-wolf exploit, fire-vs-wolves exploit and making wolves deadlier in cqc(as now its extremely easy to use them as main source of food by simply meleeing them buttnaked). Deer vs wolf also could use some adjustments, since wolves are nowhere near as effective in hunting as they are in the game, in most cases deer should outrun wolf.

I dont really see a problem with long preservation mechanics. Problem is more that game is more about salvaging, instead of surviving, with various events and conditions not being main factor. Player has to eat, but it doesnt mean that it should be main goal of the game.

Backpack doesnt make you stronger, but under present conditions carry weight of 30kg seem to be rather silly. We are not on a hiking trip to slow down to a crawl if your backpack packs "whole" 40 kilos of stuff, including clothes that character wears. And makes you immobile, when you go past 45(or was it 50) kilos. Its all about weight distribution.

Compasses has been an issue for a while, yet no1 who claims that they wont work can actually provide any argumentation for that point.

-------------

There is no clear evidence that player undercurrent conditions would require an excessive amount of calories.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK232851/

There has been an argument that arctic explorers eat butter and their caloric intake can go as high as 9000. Problem is that it refers to people who walk for 11-12 hours a day, often in extreme conditions, also usually dragging a sled behind them that can weight up to 200 kilos.

Thanks for all the responses! I still think that 1kg of meat is a lot, but AverageGatsby proves a good point that the game would get boring, also I don't agree that there should be no flashlights what so ever. I just wanted to add a few ideas that I forgot; 

learn able skills from books, like more crafting recipes

several types of guns/weapons

being able to carry more!

the crafting recipes are very limited! please add more!

My friends and I go on portage trips during the summers. Packs range from 80-100 lbs. My kevlar/CF canoe is only 44 lbs. So at max I'm carrying around say 150 lbs with the clothes and waist pouch or emergency supplies I have on my. I weigh 170 lbs and I lift weights every other day and run or row every day. I pride myself on keeping fit as I love the outdoors.

My pack is a modern military pack with all of the fancy load splitting attachments for various parts of the body. I can maybe do 6 Km on land with that much weight in one day and I am shattered. This is in the summer without knee/waist deep snow or ice to slide around on. Heavy much can be just as brutal however.

When I try to do a single carry with my pack and canoe at the same time it is torture. If we were in the city on level, paved surfaces yeah it would be cake to walk all day with that load for me. Off road, in the mud and rocks you are barely moving. I imagine in the snow and cold it would be even more challenging.

INHO, I think the weight limits are very reasonable for this game. I think 30KG is about the max one of the "gym girls" on my portage trips would take with her, same goes for most guys that don't actually work out.

Archived