Blizzards never last

Packet802

Don't think I've ever seen a blizzard last the full day, from sunrise to sunset. There always seems to be at least some time either in the morning or late in the day where it clears up and allows you to get outside. Would be nice if starting about on day 10 or so there is a danger that a blizzard comes along and lasts for 2 or 3 days straight forcing you to be prepared for it or have to venture out in hazardous conditions if you weren't.

Oh and I went outside in a big blizzard (Lake office) and the wind was blowing like crazy with blinding snow and I couldn't see hardly anything. But the Canadian flag was just gently flapping as if there was barely a breeze! That should definitely be fixed!! ;-)

• Hinterland

Thanks for the note about the flag. It does animate differently based on wind speed but it might be bugged right now. We'll look into it.

Regarding blizzard length -- we used to have them last much longer (24-48 hours) but that behaviour just encouraged more hibernation so I wanted to hold off on increasing the blizzard lengths until we can offer more things for you to do to pass the time. We're working on that. :)

Thanks Raphael! I really like the way a blizzard can effect you in the mountaineering hut in TM, it makes sleeping for long periods of time risky and if you don't have some firewood handy, your in trouble! I think interior temps should be a bigger deal in all the buildings, but I'm sure you've thought of it and are working on something... I does feel a lot more true to life to go inside and still have to warm the place up

Sam

The flags have some weird physics, sometimes they can get stuck in the flagpole, sometimes they spin around and around and around the pole (pretty funny)

I once had a blizzard last two days, but that was a few updates ago, now reading Raph his comment i finally know why this hasn't happened anymore, which is a shame because blizzard or no blizzard, i'm going outside but a few months ago when there was a blizzard it was a HUGE risk to go outside and venture too far from your homebase.
Used to write in my journal when there was a blizzard, till i got stuck in a couple of blizzards and found out they aren't as dangerous anymore because they don't last long enough to be a true hazard.
It's only a killer in early games and in TWM.

Make this game harder please, 'prey' difficulty setting?

• Hinterland

I agree that Blizzards should be a bigger threat and last longer. A big inspiration for them was reading "The Long Winter" (to my kids), one of the books in the Little House on the Prairie series, where they ended up in blizzards that lasted, seemingly, weeks and even longer. You really get a sense for how well prepared you'd need to be to survive something like that, and how dangerous it would be try to travel anywhere. 

I'm sure that at one point the blizzards on Pleasant Valley could regularly last for more than a day, and they were real killers. The first time I encountered one I had enough fuel on me to last 12hours so I thought I could wait it out. Come midnight though I was stumbling around in the dark trying to find the homestead, and must have come within a few feet of it several times before I walked straight into it. I reckon I was less than an hour from death.

There's a small area near the homestead that's good for snaring rabbits. After that event, I made it a policy to place all the snares so that they faced the direction I needed to htravel in case a blizzard hit whilst I was harvesting rabbits. All I needed to do was line myself up, and walk in a straight line until I hit the house...and it's come in handy several times.

Archived