Killing bears needs to be looked at.

Survive757

when facing bears in the long dark I almost feel as if I'm simply gambling.

the first time I faced a bear I shot him right between the eyes, one shot and he was down. The second time I faced a bear I put three bullets in his face, at the same distance, in the same place and didn't go down. I survived, rested up for 2 hours and went back to finish him off, another 3 shots in the face, same distance same place and he still didn't die and of course I lost the battle. I get it bears are huge wild beasts, very scary and very strong, but even a well placed bullet can still take them down, if I'm shooting something right between the eyes and yes i am aiming correctly, I don't see why I can't put it down.

There is another way to hunt the bear that uses only one bullet or one arrow. Basically the technique is illustrated on this video: [fade][glow=red][spoil]

[/spoil][/glow][/fade]

I will be refining this technique in my video series so I may upload a short bear hunting clip later on.

Best of luck and never fear the bear again!!

I do know about the campfire kill method but it just seems like a way to win because of the way the AI is as opposed to the fact if I shoot a bear in its skull it should be dead. I mean I can see two shots to the skull but three shots and then three hours later another three shots and somehow it isn't dead? thats a gameplay problem right there.

If I remember correctly you have a better chance for an instant kill if you aim for the heart and not for the head, the target area that triggers the kill is bigger.

But other than that, if you hit it in the head 3 times it should've bleed out after 2 hours. Whas there a blood trail? I had similar experiences with wolves where I was sure I've hit him but there was no blood trail hence he didn't bleed out. But if there was a trail and he didn't bleed out you either fought a different bear the 2nd time or it was a bug.

And yes I too think the "fire" method will get fixed sooner or later ;)

If I remember correctly you have a better chance for an instant kill if you aim for the heart and not for the head, the target area that triggers the kill is bigger.

But other than that, if you hit it in the head 3 times it should've bleed out after 2 hours. Whas there a blood trail? I had similar experiences with wolves where I was sure I've hit him but there was no blood trail hence he didn't bleed out. But if there was a trail and he didn't bleed out you either fought a different bear the 2nd time or it was a bug.

And yes I too think the "fire" method will get fixed sooner or later ;)

If you are out in the open w/o a fire and you shoot it, your timing must be nigh perfect and most of the time, you won't get the desired quick kill. With an arterial shot, the bear (or any animal) will bleed out in about a minute or two irl. There are no major arteries in the face of the bear (neck shot necessary) It might be possible to one shot it in the neck but again, the bear might maul you before it dies.

In the situation using a fire trap, the bear doesn't leave or run around (currently AFAIK in Voyageur mode) so there is no blood trail. Wikia discusses the blood trail of various animals like the wolf which must be pursued in order to make them run and bleed in the game. The bleed out times are also documented there Bear Critical Hits and Bleed Out Times

Here is a developer comment that is very enlightening. Let's Talk About Tracking

I do know about the campfire kill method but it just seems like a way to win because of the way the AI is as opposed to the fact if I shoot a bear in its skull it should be dead. I mean I can see two shots to the skull but three shots and then three hours later another three shots and somehow it isn't dead? thats a gameplay problem right there.

I've had the exact problem and I don't like the campfire kill for that exact reason. And I've made a post to the same effect. Basically, you don't know whether the animal is wounded or not since bleeding stops way to quickly. What's worse (as I found out in my post) shooting the animal again resets the bleed timer :x

This is something that needs to be fixed. Either multiple rounds do more damage or animals bleed out continually until dead (not stop bleeding and then die suddenly later).

I agree, I desire the game to include hunting the bears that feels at least somewhat realistic, not finding a programming oddity to exploit.

That being said, bears have small brains. I am fine with a headshot not being an instant magical kill. My hang-up seems to be multiple shots failing to have a cumulative effect.

That being said, bears have small brains. I am fine with a headshot not being an instant magical kill. My hang-up seems to be multiple shots failing to have a cumulative effect.

100% agree. The same is true for wolves and deer. Even if you're missing vital areas if you put enough holes in something it will die in short order.

Size of the brain is not an indicator of intelligence.

Headshot is not a normal way for killing animals such as bears, due to thick skull plate, small brain and need for a lot of experience to actually kill an animal this way, instead of enraging it. Normally its lung area - its bigger and far less defended.

That headshot trend come from all those generic shooters, that dont have much to do with reality either. Irl snipers dont aim for heads, they do same as every other soldier, aim center mass.

And that exploit with using fire for hunting seriously needs a fix. Instead of acting as invisible impenetrable wall it should have 50% chance of repelling animal. Pain from the wound vs fear of fire.

A .303 bullet into the heart/lung area will generally drop a moose within a few seconds in my experience, so dropping a wolf or an elk should be no problem. Going up against a grizzly, I'd druther have something a bit heavier, but the Canadian Rangers have been popping off Polar bears for 50 odd years with the Nr 4 Rifle, and are just now replacing it with a .308 calibre.

A .303 bullet into the heart/lung area will generally drop a moose within a few seconds in my experience, so dropping a wolf or an elk should be no problem. Going up against a grizzly, I'd druther have something a bit heavier, but the Canadian Rangers have been popping off Polar bears for 50 odd years with the Nr 4 Rifle, and are just now replacing it with a .308 calibre.

Exactly the argument I made when the original change was "headshots only" for quick kills.

In Pleasant Valley, I've had tremendous success (10-15 kills with 1 bullet) using the following method:

Every 10-12 days, a bear wanders over to the Farmhouse from the "wolf woods." Lure him over to the porch side of the house. Open the porch door and get him to walk towards you. Shoot him right in the head then run inside the porch. For me, it's usually not an instant kill shot (maybe 3 times) but just keep toying with him (walk outside to get his attention, then run back in the porch). He'll stay nearby and aggravated until he bleeds out (up to 10+ real time minutes, so be patient). Then you've got a dead bear right outside.

Currently, one doesn't even have to shut the screen door...the bear won't come inside. I imagine that'll be changed eventually. Also, make sure you are OUTSIDE when you shoot him. If you are actually in the porch, he'll run all the way back to his den instead of charging.

Archived