Using the knife for defense

Zippa

I was wondering why we have not been able to use the knife for defense. Either by itself or on the end of a long tree limb/pole. Without the gun, the only thing that will deter a wolf is a flare that I have found. I have had the misfortune of being a wolf or bear dinner and thought that if I could have only had my knife or hatchet out, maybe I would have been able to defend myself enough to escape. Thank goodness for antiseptic and bandages!

It will automatically use the best weapon in your inventory when entering struggle. That is a hatchet, if you have one, otherwise a knife, if you have one, otherwise fists. Your attacking power is further modified by your fatigue level, and then multiplied with a scale depending on current experience level ( 125% in pilgrim, 100% in voyager, 85% in stalker )

But maybe you could stick a knife on the rifle and use it as a bayonet? So if u had 2 knives you add one to the riffle at the crafting table. And then if you fire on a wolf and it didnt die you could make one last desperate attempt to weaken it further by stabbing it before you are going full melee mode?

But maybe you could stick a knife on the rifle and use it as a bayonet? So if u had 2 knives you add one to the riffle at the crafting table. And then if you fire on a wolf and it didnt die you could make one last desperate attempt to weaken it further by stabbing it before you are going full melee mode?

Bayonets historically decrease the accuracy of a weapon which is why soldiers never affix bayonets until close quarters is imminent.

Typically if you fire at a wolf and it's not within what I call it's "decisive melee area" it will run off. Only when it's within this range is melee unavoidable unless you one shot it quickly. What many people including myself have been saying for the last 6+ months is that a spear should be available in the game. It's far more logical and reasonable.

Soldiers generally rarely attach bayonets, due to number of negative effects that contraption has(increasing weight and length of weapon that leads to notable drop in accuracy and mobility due to shift in balance). While giving pretty much no bonuses, but in a few rare situations.

Basically bayonets are attachable simple because it can be done, mainly its an anachronism from times of single shot rifles. Essentially they are just knifes.

Technically it should be possible to attach a knife to a rifle, allowing some kind singular bonus when wolf charges, like 10-20% chance to cause severe wound without even needing to fight off wolf(rifle must be equipped obviously). On the downside it would increase rifle weight and introduce notable sway when aiming.

Archived