Random stats on tools / weapons

joki

I am a really big fan of random stats on equipment, since the genres I enjoy most are FPS games and (Action-)RPGs. Some simpler games, such as Realm of the mad God would have benefitted immensely, if it had such. I even come back to play Risk your Life, a really old, and kinda crappy RPG. While this is still one of the most buggied games I have ever played (I have played thousands of games since the 1980's ;) ), it had TRUE random stats on items (E.g. your dagger could have 78~122 Min/-Maxattack, 5.5% crit rate, 4,0% block rate, ...). I just keep coming back to it once ever so often, just because of the stats system. I do NOT like the very deep modifying pre-/postfixes on items that Diablo/Path of Exile have for a survival game of course. They don't fit realism-focused games. But SOME stats would be great (E.g. accuracy fluctuation of the rifle within a few % range, jamming chance %, ...). Over the long term (along with TRUE random spawn locations, or even randomly generated maps) these are the aspects that really pushes replayability value the most in the long run!

Why is this such a big deal?

I think it increases replaying value immensely: No matter how long you have survived in the current game, there is still a CHANCE to find better gear. Of course, the frequency of finding gear, that is better that your current gear will decrease exponentially over time, IF you keep surviving. But you NEVER reach that point, where you say "Oh, it's another rifle, I already have one, whatever!", or "Yet another axe, I have three already, meh.", but it gets you exited every single time when you find something, because it could POTENTIALLY be better than what you currently own, even if this probability lowers over time (since every item has fixed max rolls on every stat).

It does NOT have to be (even should not be, imo!) a very deep stat system (e.g. with weapon refinement, which imo does not fit the theme of an survival game at all), but a few would be great.

We can assume that the character is able to recognize the condition of items based on a visual examination. How do you suggest that the character would be able to tell what the accuracy or range of a rifle is? (for example)

(edit: for the record, I am all for having different variations of the various items/tools/weapons in game, but I think they should be actually different visually, and not just random stat assignments. i.e. It makes sense to find different kinds of axes... in a way this would accomplish what you suggest, but perhaps not as far as you like it to go)

• 2 weeks later...

Undecided :)

A good idea but I fully agree with toebar: any stats must have a clear, visual indicator. Variable stats would make for increased gameplay variety which is never a bad thing. But stats would be a little immersion breaking since the Long Dark is attempting a minimalist ascetic. If I pick up an item and I immediately see it's a +1 axe I'm not going to be too excited. If I pick up an axe and see that it has a shiny handle and weighs a pound less than I'm more interested. Or a hunting knife with a black blade that wears slower... or a chipped blade that wears faster. The item names themselves should always stay the same - the only clues should be visual. Then, via trial, error and observation the player can discover the differences for themselves.

Axe is an axe. Finding different types of axes - yes. But something like "+1" or "exceptional" or "golden" - no thx. Most of the items found in game are manufactured, so they are created based on certain standards.

Idea could work if we would have selection of player-made items, but devs seem to be reluctant to add anything but bow and extremely limited selection of clothes, as absurd as it may be. With increasing crafting skill and spending a bit more resources and time player could have a chance of making superior versions of craftables.

Sorry but I think the way it's done now it's good, it's a survival game no MMORPG or anything like that.. If you want weapons with different skill points and whatever you might enjoy stuff like Guild Wars, World Of Warcraft etc.. more but don't make a survival game into something it isn't.

Sorry but I think the way it's done now it's good, it's a survival game no MMORPG or anything like that.. If you want weapons with different skill points and whatever you might enjoy stuff like Guild Wars, World Of Warcraft etc.. more but don't make a survival game into something it isn't.

This, it's good that you are enjoying the game and contributing but the premise of TLD is survival with the basics not player power to turn the dam into an encounter and make Fluffy an elite boss!

One of the manu nails in the coffin ending my time with WoW was the endless RNG, I'd really hate to see that here.

Archived