V.301 Graphics Crash in Cave

SteveP

You're still running a system that's below the minimum required specs, and wasn't made for the latest DX11 version mode requirements (plus you're trying to run everything on less than the minimum required VRAM as well). That's the most likely reason for many of the bug issues you're encountering on your system.

This system meets the hardware specifications for VRAM 512meg.

I do not know why TLD only reports 480meg. Is that a bug?

This PC was recently purchased according to the supplied specifications for the game. It has adequate main memory and processor power.

There is a long standing report of this bug where there are several error messages all about failing to create a vertex buffer.

I have also raised the following questions and not received a response:

1) why does this problem not occur with DX9?

2) what else might be using VRAM?

I am frustrated and less than satisfied.

It is a hardware issue: an Intel HD 4600 chip might run the basic DX11 mode functions, but it is limited (and a few years old technology wise). As well, an Intel graphic chip is not the same as a full dedicated graphic card -- it's akin to comparing an old battery powered AM transistor radio vs. a full home stereo system... both might play music, but there's a huge difference in the best quality each can deliver.

Here's just a small example of the difference even between the HD 4600 integrated graphics chip, and a fairly low end dedicated graphic card:

[bBvideo 560,340:to2xhpcg]

[/bBvideo]

Additionally: The Long Dark has expanded much more than originally planned, so even though you may be able to run the game on the lowest settings, the more details added means your hardware will be pushed to capacity -- so it may play, but that doesn't mean your hardware will be able to keep up.

DX11 continuously pushes more functions as well, so while your HD chip might handle the basics, it will need to pull more and more RAM from the system to try handling everything [so if you're at the very bottom minimum, or as in your case just below the minimum; then the chip will have to keep trying to dump some graphics in order to keep up]. That's why you may need to run at a much lower resolution, and possibly using DX9 instead of DX11 in order for the graphic chip not to be pushed to the maximum capacity.

This system meets the hardware specifications for VRAM 512meg.

I do not know why TLD only reports 480meg. Is that a bug?

This PC was recently purchased according to the supplied specifications for the game. It has adequate main memory and processor power.

When you see hardware specs, whether required or recommended, you should consider them to be an educated guess, as opposed to a hard and fast set of rules. There is an almost infinite combination of hardware components of varying levels, manufactured in varying ways and locations, operating under varying conditions.

In practicality, you should always expect to need more than is specified.

Went down to Staples & a Canadian retailer, London Drugs and looked at graphics card. London Drugs tech support was miles better than Staples and so we ended up grabbing a Zotac GEFORCE GTX 650 Ti which was on sale, a middle of the road graphics card that will should give us high def graphics and a better frame rate for video recording using OBS (free recording software that seems to be adequate)

We're going to drop this in and go from there. I'm going to switch to a different thread for any future discussion of graphics cards. There should already be at least one thread on graphics recommendations. TLD is a super popular game right now; well there are a ton of new games out there for Steam and Origin.

They must have done something since the new release v.302 seems to be better with very superficial testing. AFAIK on Timberwolf, there are only two caves that are considered interior and reload the game graphics and the crash symptoms changed to interior from exterior. That is a useful clue if there is another bug in the graphics; let's not 100% rule it out. I've worked years in hardware and later in software but not in PC hardware so I know how messy these things can get especially with a plethora of manufacturers and mother boards and operating systems. -sigh-

Thanks for the tips and the patience guys.

I still think there should be a way in software of detecting the hardware limitations before the crash occurs; recovery from graphics memory shortage "should" be recoverable yet I understand the limitations of how much time can be spent chasing hardware/software related issues.

I think you'll notice a huge difference using the NVidia card rather than the integrated graphic chip now, and you'll likely also be able to play at a higher quality to see some enhancements you may have been missing before. Plus your new card has its own RAM to use, so it doesn't need to use your main memory now.

Let us all know what you think of the difference in how it looks :)

We installed the Zotac GTX 750 Ti and now have 2 gigs of VRAM. I hope this permanently cures the crash problem. It certainly boosts the frame rate. The 650 would have required a major power supply upgrade and these off the shelf systems can be a pain using nonstandard power connectors on their mother boards. More story in the System Requirements thread. The real plus is this graphics card uses much less power and thus the fan makes imperceptible noise, ideal for video recording.

Many thanks guys!

Archived