Two suggestions

bbspecs2

Hello,

My name is Ben and I just purchased the Long Dark for Christmas. Firstly, I would like to thank the developers for making what I believe is the best survival game on Steam. As a player of many great survival games, particularly Minecraft and DayZ, that is no small feat. When I played, I was impressed by the realism and in-depth nature of the game. However, I noticed two areas where improvements can be made.

Firstly, I was disappointed that A) Hatchets, hunting knives, etc. weren't considered weapons and couldn't be utilized as such and, more importantly B) There weren't any walking sticks, or even craftable ones from branches. As a hiker, I always feel confident that I could fend off a 'lone wolf' or other animal with my stick, and it felt unrealistic not to have any improvised weapons at my disposal. Staffs and improvised spears should be added at least. I would be thrilled if you also eventually add rare melee weapons such as full size axes, bayonets, and maybe a sword, and craftables like a Moltov Cocktail.

Second, I believe that a profession system would make sandbox mode more fun. It isn't very sandbox when your character is always a plane crash survivor. It would be nice if they had some other backgrounds that would give your character some advantage. I noticed that I only covered 5.2 miles in five days ingame. As a former Cross Country runner, I know that I would run faster and longer than that if I was freezing to death and threatened by animals. That is just one example profession; being a hunter of fisherman, military veteran, or carpenter would also be helpful in obvious ways. Maybe being unemployed/having a background that gives no help in the scenario could provide faster skill progression (like Project Zomboid)

These are just a few suggestions I had, I hope they make it into the game in some form. Thanks!

Having a knife does help you fend off wolves when they're on you, though I think you're talking about striking at a wolf right as it's about to grapple you. The timing would be difficult with that grapple mechanic as it is now, feels like.

Maybe a walking stick could be used like the torch and have a chance to scare away an approaching wolf by swinging it around, and/or it could reduce fatigue from walking outside, with the cost of extra carry weight. Neat ideas!

Hello,

My name is Ben and I just purchased the Long Dark for Christmas. Firstly, I would like to thank the developers for making what I believe is the best survival game on Steam. As a player of many great survival games, particularly Minecraft and DayZ, that is no small feat. When I played, I was impressed by the realism and in-depth nature of the game. However, I noticed two areas where improvements can be made.

Firstly, I was disappointed that A) Hatchets, hunting knives, etc. weren't considered weapons and couldn't be utilized as such and, more importantly B) There weren't any walking sticks, or even craftable ones from branches. As a hiker, I always feel confident that I could fend off a 'lone wolf' or other animal with my stick, and it felt unrealistic not to have any improvised weapons at my disposal. Staffs and improvised spears should be added at least. I would be thrilled if you also eventually add rare melee weapons such as full size axes, bayonets, and maybe a sword, and craftables like a Moltov Cocktail.

Second, I believe that a profession system would make sandbox mode more fun. It isn't very sandbox when your character is always a plane crash survivor. It would be nice if they had some other backgrounds that would give your character some advantage. I noticed that I only covered 5.2 miles in five days ingame. As a former Cross Country runner, I know that I would run faster and longer than that if I was freezing to death and threatened by animals. That is just one example profession; being a hunter of fisherman, military veteran, or carpenter would also be helpful in obvious ways. Maybe being unemployed/having a background that gives no help in the scenario could provide faster skill progression (like Project Zomboid)

These are just a few suggestions I had, I hope they make it into the game in some form. Thanks!

Welcome to the community. Have also indicated a spear would be a good first day craft item. Knives and Hatchets can be used for defense and are auto equipped when wolf combat comes. However only the knife really give you a fighting chance, and only if conditions are right. Otherwise you don't really stand much a chance against wolves without the gun and bow.

In Stalker and Voyageur the modus right now is avoid avoid avoid. Always have bandages.

I guess it's confusing for many players that they cannot equip knife, hatchet or crowbar in the same way they can equip the rifle, the lantern of a flare. I mean in a way that they see it in front of them. The way the auto-equipped weapon is displayed as an icon during the wolf struggle is easily overlooked it seems.

Having a knife does help you fend off wolves when they're on you, though I think you're talking about striking at a wolf right as it's about to grapple you. The timing would be difficult with that grapple mechanic as it is now, feels like.

Maybe a walking stick could be used like the torch and have a chance to scare away an approaching wolf by swinging it around, and/or it could reduce fatigue from walking outside, with the cost of extra carry weight. Neat ideas!

Thanks! I do like the grapple mechanic, but I have gotten used to holding the weapon in my hands in other games. I feel like being able to pull your knife/staff/other weapon and attempt to time a killing blow on the wolf while it pounces would be exciting.

Edit: Survived for five and a half days now on one of my games. My only weapon is a heavy hammer, but I have fended off two wolves with it. Torch is better though; avoids fighting altogether.

Thanks! I do like the grapple mechanic, but I have gotten used to holding the weapon in my hands in other games. I feel like being able to pull your knife/staff/other weapon and attempt to time a killing blow on the wolf while it pounces would be exciting.

Edit: Survived for five and a half days now on one of my games. My only weapon is a heavy hammer, but I have fended off two wolves with it. Torch is better though; avoids fighting altogether.

Quick tip: This is not a fighting game or a zombie shooter or anything else for that matter, doesn't give you points for fighting wolves so stay away from them. There are no weapons in this game only tools(ex: knife can be used to tear up pillows which give you cloth), well they could be used as weapons but try to avoid situations like that. It is all about collecting supplies trying not to die managing you resources and be prepared for every situation.

Archived