Is It Particularly Common…?

Grymm

To be walking up a modestly sloping spur - not a cliff or anything…just about a 40 degree incline - with nothing of note in front of you, and suddenly have the game go red, give you the message "You have died of massive internal injuries from a fall," and have dozens of hours of investment wiped out with no save to revert to?

Just curious. :cry:

Came here to say this exact thing just happened to me. Pretty tragic. So out of the blue. I have no coordinates because the save is gone, of course. I think I'll be done with this game for now. When this bug can be 100% guaranteed to be fixed I'll be happy to try again...

edit: Browsed the forums and found this post describing my death location quite well, I think. I'm not a map-looker, so I'm still getting a hang of the geography, but it looks about right. (and apparently there was a bunker nearby I could have found... so sad!)

Fortunately, the location pictured above in Tossy's post is the precise spot where I bought it.

I have not found any way to enable coordinates (or my search for bunkers might have required less aggressive risks), and I certainly could not claim to know the exact spot from mere memory, given that my save is gone and the bug struck me so suddenly.

I would have said, "somewhere in this area," but if this is a known spot, then I'm guessing I was in precisely the same place.

If this is a "known bug," then I'm glad there's only one place it happens, if that's correct.

I was nearly 30 days into survival and some 60 hours of investment of scarce free time that's pretty precious to me, so this was a bitter, bitter loss. Yes, I get that it's Alpha. But I really would suggest that, as a courtesy to those of us trying to help you road test the game, you at least temporarily add some kind of safety save feature - even if it's an autosave every 5 days or something, with no "death wipe" - until the game is stable. I do have some "Loadable" saves in my Menu. No idea where they came from or why they were special. I only wish I had one for this massive effort. :cry: A Save feature would at least give us all the opportunity to replicate bugs and to verify things like locations. That's got to be worth more than "preserving the hardcore aspect of the game" at this point of development, no?

I can handle graphics glitches and items that don't report effects accurately. It's a very different thing to be aloof about two weeks' worth of struggle ending unceremoniously on a known bug with no ability to recover.

If someone can enlighten my on enabling coordinates on a Mac, I'd be grateful. I'll attempt to secure a screenshot of the spot I died in using a new game.

Thanks, all!

OK…got a new character prepped enough to take this walk. Here is what I am pretty sure is the exact spur I was ascending…though I'm a good 30' lower than where I died here. I just didn't want to risk it again. But if you imagine going about halfway up from here towards that rock wall, you'll be about exactly where I died.

I hope this helps!

56ce24e043818_InstaDeathscreen_(12446414

These are "holes" in the map. There are a few of them such as on Coastal Highway near the train termination below on the cliffs. Mostly you would encounter this problem exploring steep mountain sides. In the past, if you fell through, you could at least Escape and restart at your last save point. The game really should not kill you if you fall through the map; it should save at a nearby safe position and let you restart from there.

Another tip: please name the title of your postings with something meaningful to make it easier to scan for relevant posts. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Not common - This is actually a bug. So sorry that happened, but we're aware of it and working to have it fixed in the next update! I'm going to move your post to the tech forums just in case Support needs any information from you.

So was this fixed in the latest updates?

Archived