How about a customized difficulty menu?

webblocker

I feel as if the current difficulty settings are a little bit amiss for some people, and what they see to be the most enjoyable survival game; I for example, would prefer to have much harsher weather but with toned down wolves and bears. What I would propose is a modular difficulty menu, with options such as wolf spawn rate, minimum temperature, difficulty in finding food, storm chance etc. I know it could be a little bit difficult to implement, but I'm sure it can be done by Hinterland. What do other people think?

You're not the first to suggest this. The official hinterland statement on this:

We're always tuning the game, so nothing is static and how it feels now is not how it will feel a month from now. I don't think we'll go for a "sliders" solution as I feel it's our job to provide an experience, not a toolbox for experiences. It's a balance between authoring something and creating the opportunity for players to bring their own creativity to the experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is a good idea (and I also mentioned such modular difficulty in regards to compensate the game mechanics for a 1:1 time scale). With the ability to set/alter the main difficulty aspects to some degree, the player can better tailor the difficulty to his/hers liking.

I also understand the Hinterland's need to present the game as they want to. The game is also (or mainly) theirs piece of artwork.

I believe the compromise will be found. And if the game will be highly mod-able (as is the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series for instance - with the ability to alter the game scripts, textures, sounds, models/props, item parameters and other resources, pretty much every aspect of the game can be altered), the players can mod it as they like to add missing or alter existing features.

I think this is a good idea (and I also mentioned such modular difficulty in regards to compensate the game mechanics for a 1:1 time scale). With the ability to set/alter the main difficulty aspects to some degree, the player can better tailor the difficulty to his/hers liking.

I also understand the Hinterland's need to present the game as they want to. The game is also (or mainly) theirs piece of artwork.

I believe the compromise will be found. And if the game will be highly mod-able (as is the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series for instance - with the ability to alter the game scripts, textures, sounds, models/props, item parameters and other resources, pretty much every aspect of the game can be altered), the players can mod it as they like to add missing or alter existing features.

hahaha choose your words carefully or they will delete your post and accuse you of encouraging hacking of the game and such. this community , moderators especially are highly sensitive about trainers, mods, etc.

hahaha choose your words carefully or they will delete your post and accuse you of encouraging hacking of the game and such. this community , moderators especially are highly sensitive about trainers, mods, etc.

O. K., advice taken :).

I did not know that. If that is true, I am sorry - I do not want to and will not encourage anyone to hack the game or alike. I am just open-minded and wanted to express that the features, which will not be in the final version of the game, may be added later by users as a mod to just create a better experience. I think if the approach to mod a game is done right and in ethical way, it has some benefits for the players and developers also:

• the players can add wanted features and made the game experience as good for them as they will be happy with (the game will be more accessible and have wider/stronger community)

• opening the game for the community could inspire someone and give him/her the ability to create something interesting (maybe another great title), or open the way to being a full-time professional developer

• someone can decide to support the developers and buy the game if he/she will find an interesting mod

• ability to mod a game can add to the developers' reputation, make it stronger/better, which can help in the future (to have community support for other projects)

• modding can give the game a better replay value and can keep the game "alive" for a long time

I feel as if the current difficulty settings are a little bit amiss for some people, and what they see to be the most enjoyable survival game; I for example, would prefer to have much harsher weather but with toned down wolves and bears. What I would propose is a modular difficulty menu, with options such as wolf spawn rate, minimum temperature, difficulty in finding food, storm chance etc. I know it could be a little bit difficult to implement, but I'm sure it can be done by Hinterland. What do other people think?

I don't know what would be the best solution, but I am also little bit annoyed with difficulty settings.

I really don't like aggressive wolves, because it's so far from reality. In survival game, when everything else is as real as possible (weather, clothes, fire, water etc), completely unrealistic arcade-style man-eating predators kinda ruins the experience for me.

On the other hand, if I choose easy level to get toned down animals, there's way too much food, tools and medicine everywhere. I'm leaving lot of stuff behind when i'm gonna move to another location because I just don't need it and I know for a fact that I'll find more than enough in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

"I don't know what would be the best solution, but I am also little bit annoyed with difficulty settings.

I really don't like aggressive wolves, because it's so far from reality. In survival game, when everything else is as real as possible (weather, clothes, fire, water etc), completely unrealistic arcade-style man-eating predators kinda ruins the experience for me.

On the other hand, if I choose easy level to get toned down animals, there's way too much food, tools and medicine everywhere. I'm leaving lot of stuff behind when i'm gonna move to another location because I just don't need it and I know for a fact that I'll find more than enough in the future. (this is from the post above)"

Well said this is exactly how I feel too!

I don't know what would be the best solution, but I am also little bit annoyed with difficulty settings.

On the other hand, if I choose easy level to get toned down animals, there's way too much food, tools and medicine everywhere. I'm leaving lot of stuff behind when i'm gonna move to another location because I just don't need it and I know for a fact that I'll find more than enough in the future.

This is how I feel as well!

Archived