what software to use to record gameplay + commentary?

Mafti

Hiya,

I like to record a simple gameplay and some commentary for my guildies, so I can convince them to buy this awesome game :)

What software is recommended ?

(I don't have a uber-rig, so sadly nvidia shadowplay is out of teh question so far)

Guest Alan Lawrance

I know people have used FRAPS and Action in the past for recording, but hopefully some streamers who visit these forums can give you first-hand opinions on the best solution.

I'm a complete Noob to the Twitch streaming and Game Recording, so there are likely to be a lot of better recorders -- but I used Open Broadcaster Software which has media streaming as well as recording. Considering I didn't have a clue of what to do, the program made the task pretty straight forwards, and easy... mainly it did what I needed without having to worry about a thousand bells, whistles, and options [i.e. simplicity to set up as a first time user] -- oh yeah, and it's FREE.

https://obsproject.com/

Thanks. I am testing OBS. recording the gameplay works fine. I cannot hear myself in the movie :(

I've just been using my webcam mic, and it seemed to work without problems including my commentary. Check to see whether you have your mic settings on for the webcam (or whatever type of Mic you're using) as well. Likely someone more familiar with the recording and streaming will be able to jump in here with the easiest solution.

/facepalm.

I just got a suggestion to try it in a different player (default it's windows media player)

guess what, i hear myself quite nicely in VLC...

thanks for the help!!

next up: less sucking in TLD and survive longer than 1 day :)

Thanks for the OBS link, Bill. I just downloaded it, installation was super easy and I already managed to record a little test clip. I've always wondered how people record these things. Next I'll see if I can find my really old headphones, which have a microphone, so I can test that (if the mic still works, that is).

Archived