Make a mountain map

exeexe

Hi so i was thinking about if you could make a mountain map where to reach the other point of the map you would have to cross a mountain range

centerhttp://s18.postimg.org/m9zmycqvt/draft.png

So i made a draft for you to work further on if you like the idea. The point is that in the mountains (the red and yellow zones), you are so high up that you reach a dead zone. It is very cold here, you cant light a fire unless you use kerosene or accelerant. Maybe the max temp could be -40C. Then before and after this deadzone there is an uphill/downhill area leading up to the deadzone. There is also no animals in the deadzone.

Then for the player to get through the mountain range there could be several routes, i have here suggested 3 routes where the middle is the shortest one but it also has the longest path in the deadzone. The 2 other routes are not so dangerous but they are longer due to the snake trails you have to take.

The red zone is mountain tops and its not possible to climb there.

+1

A mountain range map sounds cool. Did you have any thoughts on what kind of items the player would be able to find in that location? Your description makes it sound like there were would be very few buildings to explore (since you call it the "deadzone"). Or perhaps you were thinking there'd be buildings on either side of the mountain range?

I like this idea very much!!!

It remembered me on the documentation I saw on TV about the Mount Everest.

This area also would increase fatigue very fast.

Why can't you start fires without accelerant? I like this idea, that bit just doesn't make sense to me.

I think this area is so high that there is not enough oxygen for a fire without accelerant.

People start fires at 16,000 feet in Tibet. It's harder, but it can be done. I'd maybe adjust the % chance down, making accelerant be the only guaranteed way to succeed? Like, i see what you're getting at, but it's not like fire is impossible to start, even on Everest.

I'd maybe just make it more difficult to do without the accelerant, which would encourage people to do it that way. But it wouldn't stop people who don't have any kerosene or whatever from trying to climb, as they can still try and get something going.

People start fires at 16,000 feet in Tibet. It's harder, but it can be done. I'd maybe adjust the % chance down, making accelerant be the only guaranteed way to succeed? Like, i see what you're getting at, but it's not like fire is impossible to start, even on Everest.

I'd maybe just make it more difficult to do without the accelerant, which would encourage people to do it that way. But it wouldn't stop people who don't have any kerosene or whatever from trying to climb, as they can still try and get something going.

Thanks for explaining.

I automatically believe that also fire starting is more difficult without enough oxygen or even impossible, when Helicopter can`t fly and "flatland-people" need a oxygen tank on that high region.

Thanks for explaining.

I automatically believe that also fire starting is more difficult without enough oxygen or even impossible, when Helicopter can`t fly and "flatland-people" need a oxygen tank on that high region.

Yeah, it's absolutely more difficult. That's why I think lowering the chance for success is the way to go. If you've never tried to start a high-altitude fire, you're gonna have a hard time with it, but you'll probably get it going eventually.

+1

A mountain range map sounds cool. Did you have any thoughts on what kind of items the player would be able to find in that location? Your description makes it sound like there were would be very few buildings to explore (since you call it the "deadzone"). Or perhaps you were thinking there'd be buildings on either side of the mountain range?

Yeah very few buildings. And yes there can be buildings in the normal zones. Like a mountain goat diary?

https://www.cheeseandyogurtmaking.com/b ... -colorado/

People start fires at 16,000 feet in Tibet.

Yeah in summer time and near the equator. But this is Canada and during winter.

Are you actually claiming no one lives in Tibet in the winter? (Tibet also being 32 degrees north of the equator)

xueyuxizang.jpg

How do you think people survive all winter in Siberia, for that matter?

Talkessel_von_Werchojansk.JPG

People start fires at 16,000 feet in Tibet.

Yeah in summer time and near the equator. But this is Canada and during winter.

Are you actually claiming no one lives in Tibet in the winter? (Tibet also being 32 degrees north of the equator)

xueyuxizang.jpg

How do you think people survive all winter in Siberia, for that matter?

Talkessel_von_Werchojansk.JPG

Pls dont go offtopic

Nice idea on making transition more dangerous and prepared in advance.

But what about boredom? Its not a good play value to transit zones with nothing to see or to do, only to pay attention to your health gages.

Maybe this mountain trek should be used only with SLED's? :mrgreen:

Pls dont go offtopic

Let's stick to the topic at hand then. Starting fires at high elevations. I used a real example (Tibet) which you claim only has fires started in summer for some reason.

But you claim fires started in Canada in winter are somehow harder to start. Please back up that claim, keeping in mind that people live in cold areas (Siberia) year-round, and also live at high elevation (Tibet) year round. And in both of those places, they manage to start fires.

So please explain your position.

Archived