Harvest Maple/Birch Trees with Hacksaw

Hylander

Since you can harvest frozen or fresh meat with hacksaw, it would be nice to be able to cut down small trees with it as well. Right now I'm playing a game where I'm trying to stay only in Desolation Point, and although I've found everything else, I haven't found a hatchet.

I'd like to be able to craft new bows and arrows, but I can't cut the trees down.

a saw as an alternate to an ax would be interesting. but a hacksaw is ill suited for the job for two reasons. the blade of a hacksaw has tiny teeth that are ideal for cutting and grinding away metal and would become dulled and gunked up with wood quickly. Wood saws have larger teeth that are further apart and are usually offset of slightly from side to side for greater cutting surface and the ability to pull sawdust away. the second reason the hacksaw is ill suited to wood cutting is the frame that holds the blade is close to the blade itself usually within a six inches. What you would really need is a Bow Saw.

Personally I'm surprised we can't harvest the saplings without tools as a back-up. Green saplings are flexible and certainly it's harder to break them without a tool than with, but you can definitely twist, bend, and rip a sapling like these with your body weight and a bit of effort.

Personally I'm surprised we can't harvest the saplings without tools as a back-up. Green saplings are flexible and certainly it's harder to break them without a tool than with, but you can definitely twist, bend, and rip a sapling like these with your body weight and a bit of effort.

Wood splits along the grain if you bend it, even if it doesnt, its somewhat damaged after and more brittle when its dried, therefor somewhat useless for bow and arrow.

It is certainly true that you can use a decent knife to cut down a sapling but in this cold the sapling might well be frozen and that make it very though to manage with just a knife. I do agree that using the hacksaw on these saplings would work, so +1 to that suggestion.

Archived