Second season

vancopower

I was inspired by some topics that I saw for making seasons in TLD, for people that wish for the plants to be renewable, like rose hips, birch saplings ect. So my idea is this: Let it be 2 seasons

1. Fist season the winter should last for about 235-245 days (Nothing changes here same as it is now)

2. Second season mild summer should last for about 110-120 days: In this season the snow should be mixed with dirt also instead of blizzards there should be heavy rain, which introduces new condition Wet (which if not treated leads to sickness which will require antibiotics) cured by drying by the fire or putting clothes on the ground to dry out same principle as curing leather. Since there will be no more blizzards no more tree limbs will spawn on the ground, only sticks and branches which should also be rare. Food spoilage should increase twice or even three times as much for meats, but all the plants will now re-grow in about 5-6 days time. Also the temperature will be high now no more negative degrees, but that will attract many predators like wolves, Bears and maybe Bobcats which will appear during this season only and will be deadly for the player. Many locations should be inaccessible like the lakes which will be frozen again but there will be mud of live sand which will make the terrain inaccessible. there should be large piles of junk random spawned like chairs , metal shelves and tables which ware washed by the river banks to make up the fact that the wood will be rare in this season, also fishing now will be much more useful since there will be no need to brake ice now, you could just go to a river and start fishing there but BEWAREE !!! you might not be fishing alone there might be bears or bobcats close.

I think there should be 2 main seasons also, winter (current season in game) and a fall like season. In the fall season there would be rain and hail. There would be some snow but not a lot. You said the following,

new condition Wet (which if not treated leads to sickness which will require antibiotics)

The water from the rain won't make you sick. Rain is natural purified and filtered also through evaporation. Drinking the muddy rain water when it hits the ground and gets in the dirt can though. But if your character is wet, it just means they will probably be colder and fatigued if that going to be added back in.

Thanks great ideas about the seasons.

I think the point of the game is to be facing the elements- of which would become senseless if another season was added. It wouldn't be particularly hard to survive in a warmer season...

Not necessarily, I mentioned that fishing will be available almost anywhere where there is rivers or river banks, it will be different yes but warmer does not mean good because predators like warm weather too so that is your trade off more combat less cold. which will be different but not much hard also plants will be growing which means endless supply of medicine, arrows ect. so it might be even easier depends on your play and will to survive. the rewards are much greater foraging for plants in the second season but also the danger should be greater too.

Sounds like a great idea, I'd love more seasons. But if it takes >200 days for winter to pass, most players probably won't get to experience the second season.

Well that is the general idea, as it is now people that survive past 60 -160 days get bored and kill themselves intentionally (Because they used every resource or got bored) Also gives some motivation to the new players, something to look forward to, also if this happens it will be the biggest update and maybe the final one so it will be a long way from now. Kind of a final challenge for the developers if you will.

I think there should be 2 main seasons also, winter (current season in game) and a fall like season. In the fall season there would be rain and hail. There would be some snow but not a lot. You said the following,

new condition Wet (which if not treated leads to sickness which will require antibiotics)

The water from the rain won't make you sick. Rain is natural purified and filtered also through evaporation. Drinking the muddy rain water when it hits the ground and gets in the dirt can though. But if your character is wet, it just means they will probably be colder and fatigued if that going to be added back in.

Thanks great ideas about the seasons.

This could lead to mold/fungal problems...think athlete's foot and more intimate issues. While being wet in general isn't bad, being wet for long stretches of time (day in, day out) can lead to all sorts of health complications, as well as additional wear and tear on clothing (especially leather).

I think I read somewhere that the plan is for the sequel to be in a different season.

Sequel! are you sure this is still in Alpha and they are planing a Sequel! , Man this is awesome :)))))

Well, if this is successful, anyway. I sing the praises of this game to anyone who will listen, trying to get the word out.

• 3 weeks later...

I would LOVE for the devs to implement this. Alternatively, instead of seasons, there could be southern regions added that are warmer, but equally inclement as the colder regions. I say this without knowing what the "global disaster" is and exactly how far north our protagonist crashed his / her plane.

A warmer season would bring its own challenges. Warmer weather doesn't mean easier living!

As hinted before you can fish without having to venture into the ice but also means no ready snow to melt for water. Water now becomes an unportable item you have to forage for....using random cans and jugs (that we've all seen hanging about in huts) as "tools" to gather water outside actively, rather than the current passive "melt snow" mechanic. Advantage of course is you don't have to melt it first before boiling it.

Not only that but in my experience warmer weather near water brings insects...biting nasty things...again, this is a hazard that perhaps alcohol or other form of antiseptic could be introduced as a finite source to combat.

Also as grasses etc become more plentiful the wildlife grazing from it becomes less localised...meaning deer are less likely to stroll past your hut! You'll have to now make proper use of the hunting look outs etc to stalk prey for example rather than wandering about and hoping a deer walks into view. Not only that but who else do you think will be hunting more actively? ;)

However, gathering of berries and other edible plantlife becomes more varied and easier from early spring shoots such as birch leaves and wild garlic though to summer style berries.

I do think seasons in a more or less realistic time span will add significantly to the game and also change the landscape significantly. Can you imagine waking up, opening the door and finding a rainstorm has washed away most of the snow outside?!? Now in front of you is a green floor and early spring herbs and flowers...

The one major question I have is that in the game we have fishing huts out on the ice...this indicates near permanent ice coverage usually as I'm not familiar with such structures where ice isn't a permanent feature. Does this mean the developers have tricked us to thinking where the game is set isn't as far North as the environment might now indicate?

+1For different seasons.

However, i agree that a significantly warmer season would be pointless for the way this game is designed. Also having parts of the map thaw out ,would be too much for the devs to implement (too much new artwork and physics required) and would not fit in with the setting atleast in some maps like ML (you wouldnt build a fishing hut on a lake that thaws every year).

That being said i do think that without changing the game too much we could add the effect of seasonal change by adding simple things like add +1x hour of darkness every week or so survived until we reach say 4/5 hours daylight then cycle it back.after having a playthrough during the halloween glitch/bug i realised this would add to the struggle even on long playthroughs and even people like me who stockpile would soon find ourselves burning through a lot of supplies like stockpiled wood and canned food because hunting now really hard during the darker months, also solve the issue with torches pulled from a fire being a bit op. And during the summer months yeah maybe give us 1 or 2 good days here or there ,but no need to change how the landscape looks.

I think even just this would satisfy myself and other who are finding even stalker a bit too easy atm, and force us to actually use resources rather than stockpiling.

Also if its randomised at what point of this cycle you spawn in on a new playthrough. This will make for some really challenging games. Like getting spawned in with only a few hours daylight a day. And atleast a week or two before it starts to get lighter :shock:

Also respawns of plants and sapling,but only if we have not harvested all of a patch of rose hips or saplings, we would have to leave 2/3 saplings or rosehip bunches in a grove in order to respawn a fresh batch.realistically this should be every year,but for gameplays sake i would say 6months of survival.

As for the rest ill let the devs think about im sure they will have better ideas than me :D

With regards to the car batteries i think there will be a use for these of some sort like if we could find a torch and rechargable batteries for example. Even smaller batteries and a bit of steel wool.could.be used as a fire starter.

As a geomagnetic storm would not destroy all electric equipment. Or if it did /is still active, then im sure that crazy hillbilly who made the hidden bunker would have had a faroday cage with a radio and some basic equipment in his bugout spot. :lol: :lol:

Seasons on the same maps? Yes please.

Agreed... water forage via lakes and waterfalls, and what if we could find things that were buried/lost in the melted snow. Fishing huts don't float so that would be a challenge. Perhaps just thin ice for the lakes and you are forced to walk around... Or worse yet you must summer stuck out on an island?! :)

The one major question I have is that in the game we have fishing huts out on the ice...this indicates near permanent ice coverage usually as I'm not familiar with such structures where ice isn't a permanent feature. Does this mean the developers have tricked us to thinking where the game is set isn't as far North as the environment might now indicate?

+1For different seasons.

However, i agree that a significantly warmer season would be pointless for the way this game is designed. Also having parts of the map thaw out ,would be too much for the devs to implement (too much new artwork and physics required) and would not fit in with the setting atleast in some maps like ML (you wouldnt build a fishing hut on a lake that thaws every year).

Here is a proof from my homeland about 40 Km from where I live that fishing huts don't need frozen lake to stand still, they ware constructed in the water and still stand today for hundreds of years

http://static2.mydestination.com/librar ... 60_638.jpg

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/dojran-l ... 791686.jpg

+1For different seasons.

Here is a proof from my homeland about 40 Km from where I live that fishing huts don't need frozen lake to stand still, they ware constructed in the water and still stand today for hundreds of years

http://static2.mydestination.com/librar ... 60_638.jpg

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/dojran-l ... 791686.jpg

Thank you...then it becomes a matter of boats? Because, lets use Mystery Lake as an example, getting around becomes a bigger problem with no ice as you can't just cross the main lake anymore!

Finding a boat, making repairs with the right wood, metal, hide and your axe perhaps?

Sounds like a great idea, I'd love more seasons. But if it takes >200 days for winter to pass, most players probably won't get to experience the second season.

I think that would be good. We want to go further so if we know this season change is coming we will go for it who wouldn't

Remember that this sort of thing won't really impact the normal player. Only players who manage to make it past 200 days are likely to see this seasonal change so ... yes ... perhaps its not worth the time and effort for the developers.

A "nice to have"

Last time I checked there ware 3 difficulty modes, for those people who are looking for more exploring experience rather than survival, there is the pilgrim mode :) surely you can survive on pilgrim mode indefinitely since the biggest threat in the game are the wolves.

Also, it would be the first survival game with changing seasons in First person. I don't believe that there are any yet.

Remember that this sort of thing won't really impact the normal player. Only players who manage to make it past 200 days are likely to see this seasonal change so ... yes ... perhaps its not worth the time and effort for the developers.

A "nice to have"

Last time I checked there ware 3 difficulty modes, for those people who are looking for more exploring experience rather than survival, there is the pilgrim mode :) surely you can survive on pilgrim mode indefinitely since the biggest threat in the game are the wolves.

Also, it would be the first survival game with changing seasons in First person. I don't believe that there are any yet.

Very true, I guess I forget Pilgrim mode :lol:

Archived