Campfire UI - Cooking food/drinks

Mudder

I would like a more direct route to eat food I've cooked at the campfire. Mostly with heated items, canned food, coffee, tea, etc. Things I purposefully heat with the intent of eating.

The problem:

I start a campfire. Quickly I heat up some tomato soup in the can. Next exit the campfire menu, enter my inventory, sort by food, and search for that particular canned food. I have to sort through all my cans of tomato soup and check the status on the info.

It's tedious. There have been a couple times where the food had gone cold by the time I found it.

Possible solutions:

• Add an confirmation option when selecting food to cook to immediately eat, with the selection defaulting to no.
  • Add a reddish background color to foods that are currently hot. Likewise a lighter blue for cold foods while foods without temperature can keep the translucent background. This allows us to quickly identify these items.

Yes, this has been requested before and with a good reason. I like the idea of adding colors to the background, but any way of making hot food more distinct is fine.

Regarding the cook and eat option: this needs to be a separate option. I definitely do not want it to ask me every time I cook if I want to eat it. Cooking is (imo) the most tedious and boring element of the game, I don't want it to be even slower (the times I want to cook and eat are a fraction of when I just want to cook.)

Amother thing I would like to add is a cook all and cook x button (I haven't cooked anything since last update but I didn't see it in the change log). Cooking x means selecting the items you want to cook and then fast forward. You should be able to die doing this but having to cook 30 pieces of bear meat one by one is a rare thing in the game I do not look forward doing (even though the visuals are amazing ).

Another thing that needs a tweak is when you start a fire you are always thrown out of the fireplace screen and have to click back on the fire to add more wood,cook etc.

I personally don't agree with this. A lot of times I make a fire without wanting to go inside it. Certainly when I make a fire as a defensive measure or when I want to kill a bear that is close I don't want to lose precious time having to click out the menu. When you want to cook or add fire you usually have time enough (unless dying of dehydration or starvation ) and clicking on the fire is a short and quick action.

I would be happy about the possibility to eat straight from the cooking UI as well, especially for heatable foods & drinks. It's very inconvenient and feels cumbersome to cook some tea in the Cooking UI, then leave the Cooking UI, open the Item UI, search the hot tea (which isn't even recognisable by a red font color or anything) and only then drink it.

I understand that it would probably be a lot of work to redo the UI completely, but adding as small "cook and consume" button below the usual cooking only button would imho already be enough to improve the usability a lot.

Archived