Too Much Sunlight?

selfless

At what point do we have the discussion? Winters at 50 degrees longitude see days reduced to only 8 hours of sun. I like that twilight hours are included in the daylight time (2.5 hours prior to sunrise and again after sunset), but a full 12 hours with the sun is not right.

But more darkness would emphasize light sources. Now, game design notes have suggested that towns will periodically have lights on at night due to Aurora effects. And brilliant Aurorae could light up clear nights as well as full moons. So...

Would it kill the game for you if it started getting darker?

I think some of the long-time vets have said that it used to be "correct", i.e. long nights and short days, but it was making the game far more difficult than intended, so they reversed it. Can one of the people from the beginning confirm this?

I'm not from the beginning but I can confirm the game right now is far easier than intended. Longer nights, how I lust for them. :o

Maybe much lowered wildlife spawns and resources isn't the answer. Maybe just a couple of hours of daylight is.

When they made the change the game was very different compared to how it is now.

And I don't think vets play the game enough to really know how it would affect the game in .258. ;)

I think some of the long-time vets have said that it used to be "correct", i.e. long nights and short days, but it was making the game far more difficult than intended, so they reversed it. Can one of the people from the beginning confirm this?

Correct... in earliest pre-alpha versions, we found ourselves mostly trying to survive at night and in the dark (days felt pretty short), so the devs almost reversed the hours in order to allow more actual playable tasks during daylight.

After the first pre-alpha tests, they doubled the daylight hours [previously days were too short to get very many essential tasks done]. It also got dark very quickly [dusk was more like night, and mornings didn't really show until late dawn] - which was also one of the reasons days seemed shorter, and we had to play outside in the dark a lot.

Changelog from v.003 showing time lengthening

http://hinterlandforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 400&p=3592

Early Testing discussion regarding day length

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=401

NOTE: v.03 actually became v.003 as versions were resequenced to proceed into alpha releases

Changelog from v.003 showing time lengthening

http://hinterlandforums.com/viewtopic.p ... 400&p=3592

Early Testing discussion regarding day length

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=401

NOTE: v.03 actually became v.003 as versions were resequenced to proceed into alpha releases

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when I read it change is only decrease in time acceleration (from 40 minutes per day to 80 minutes per day). Didn't see any change in ratio of day/night (40/30). And it must have grown larger later to get to 15/9. Thanks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when I read it change is only decrease in time acceleration (from 40 minutes per day to 80 minutes per day). Didn't see any change in ratio of day/night (40/30). And it must have grown larger later to get to 15/9. Thanks.

In the first pre-alpha version, dusk was fast an early making it more like full night, and bright daylight didn't sow strongly until near the end of dawn originally -- so dusk and most of dawn also felt like dark/night hours.

Archived