Some feedback on v256

Hotzn

After playing a bit with the new v256, here are some preliminary thoughts:

1. New wood foraging system

Everybody seems to welcome the new system, and so do I. Not because it brings more "realism" to the game, but because it makes it impossible to produce endless amounts of wood while being in a completely safe location - like the doorframe or porch of your base. This makes hibernation harder and also introduces the thrilling possibility to get caught in a fishing hut during a blizzard with your pants down... :)

I would like to praise how the devs came up with the distinction between sticks, branches and limbs, and how they work in the game (just pick up sticks, break branches with your hands and chop limbs to pieces with the hatchet. Also the fact that trees still cannot be harvested (like in other games, where the player can chop a tree to pieces and carry them home in 5 minutes - ridiculous). And: sticks, branches and limbs are dispersed very well, they seem a natural part of the environment. Well done.

2. Walking/running and stamina

I've seen a number of players complain about this, but to me the new system seems great. Before, we could mostly just outrun the weather. Now this has become more difficult, and one must think harder where to go, when to go and how far to go. And when to run. I recall Denyo suggesting players should try playing without ever running for exactly those reasons, and I found the idea very interesting. Now we have something like that. I also think the walking speed is just right. Don't make it faster.

3. Sound effects

I am only just starting to discover these, but I realized I am now listening much more intently when playing. I noticed that the wind going around buildings makes some noises now (like the cluttering we sometimes hear inside, we now hear it outside as well). There are some things I can't really put my finger on, maybe I am hearing them subconsciously. Anyway, something is going on there, and it feels great.

4. Weather effects

Again, I can't exactly say what is going on, but sometimes there is some premonition of the weather turning bad... and then it turns bad. I might be imagining things, but maybe there is a subtle change in the light or something that makes you "feel" that a change is coming. I'll be watching this...

5. New fighting mechanic

I don't find much difference in hitting one mouse button instead of two, this is neither better nor worse in my view. Only had one wolf fight, so I can't say too much about it.

I said in in another post but the new wood system is a complete game changer. I now walk around picking up sticks. Whenever I see a downed limb, I have to see if I can stand being out long enough to harvest it.... if I have a hatchet.

I like all of the improvements so far. The death by a thousand cuts with Fluffy is very nice. I also like the mechanics beyond a sprained ankle. The sprained wrist is horrible. I make a big excursion to Carter Dam, outfitted for bear, and stumble a bit down a slope. Bingo, sprained wrist. Now I can't hold a rifle. Pride before the fall. Do I go home or press on toward the dam, praying the weather holds and I can warm up on the front steps.

I would ask the devs add a separated or bruised rib to the body damage mechanics. Carrying a load would be hellish. Sprinting would be painful too.

I break down branches while in good weather and health, but rather than taking everything, I leave piles of sticks in different places [so always have fast emergency supplies I can just grab]. I keep about 10 sticks on me - rest I leave so I don't have to waste time breaking them down when my health is bad.

Can also leave small stacks at key points away from the main buildings [good for middle-of-the-woods emergency supplies if a fast fire is needed].

That way I'm not carrying the full loads everywhere. 8-)

Archived