Inventory -SPACE- on top of inventory weight

Oywin

This always annoyed me in Skyrim, and it annoys me in this game too. How does he/she manage to fit that fifth can of gasoline among the 20+ stacks of firewood and 20+ cans of food and all other tools and materials you already got in there?

Make items take up space in your inventory and containers, rather than just weight being the only factor.

How it could work...

• For example, your Backpack has 100 squares of space. The smallest unstackable items, like a can of soda takes 1 square of space. Stackable items, like a box of matches also take 1 square of space, but can stack to for example 5 before taking up another square of space. Bigger items, like the Jerry Can, would take up maybe 20 squares of space.
  • Containers could have more or less space than your backpack, depending on their size. That way you can for example no longer put a long rifle inside a small clothing drawer, but would rather have to stow it away in something larger. For the small drawers you'd then rather put clothing or other small items in those. Also, containers should no longer have a weight factor, unless Hinterland is planning to make a way for us to move the containers around.
  • Clothes that you are wearing should of course not take any space in your backpack, but it should still count towards the weight factor on your body.
  • If your backpack is full, but you're still not at your weight limit, then it should be possible to carry certain objects in your arms.

What do people think about this? Yes? No? If you got any additional suggestions towards this yourselves I'd love to read them. :)

What about strapping additional items onto the outside of your backpack? That jerry can might be bulky, but should you be able to strap it on the outside? Should the rifle be carried inside the backpack, or on it's own strap? What if you are carrying two rifles? A rifle and a bow?

I think this is a very good idea for added realism, but to implement it properly, there are a lot of scenarios to work out to make sure everything makes sense. Because every person thinks about their gear differently, everyone has a different idea of how their bag should be packed and their gear stowed, and it's very hard to take all of them into account.

Personally, the level of abstraction the game employs for encumbrance is not as annoying to me as others: like foraging for wood, or repairing my rifle with a piece of firewood and a piece of scrap metal, or how easy it is to hunt a deer. I would love to see encumbrance dealt with in a really realistic and cool way, but for now, I would prefer it if the devs stuck to more glaring issues.

Just a thought, while your talking about weight vs size etc this also touches on different backpacks etc..

And to add to that.. Idk if ppl do alot of hiking etc but when your pack is strapped up right and fits you all tho It may have 30kg worth of things inside it feels more like 20kg.. And in that way of thinking some travel or hiking packs have the straps on top or under for your sleeping bag / bedroll.. Which also saves room in your pack but also "lessens" the feel of the burden aswell..

So maybe we could get packs with the bedroll straps.. Or even a med kit pouch etc. Maybe even find additional clips/slings or even craft them to customize your pack(s)?

And while this does not make the items carried weightless maybe just drops them by a small %..

Could very well change the way we get to explore/scavenge every bit helps!

Anyways +1 to you!!

Jerry can should have to be picked up and put down. No way they'll fit in a pack.

I love the idea. I'm into more micromanagement. Except there should also be space in pockets of pants and coats (like h1z1). For smaller items like matches, ammunition, bandages candy bars etc.

Your rifle, knife, bow/quiver should be worn on the outside.

Thinking about this. Maybe they should have a backpack you could find somewhere that actually looks like a hiking/camping backpack. The one where it's sewed to two bars that connect on top and had a space for the bedroll. It could increase space, and make it so things "feel" like they way less do you could carry more. This way, there would be a progression in the character to how much you can carry. I've also thought of a endurance skill (the longer your around, the stronger you get, especially at carrying around almost 60 lbs of stuff all the time, and at a minimum of 40 when you leave the house.) But that's for a different conversation. Like, you find one abandoned in the snow like the other backpacks from hikers, travelers, hunters, or campers that died.

I agree that adding a realistic carry weight would be ideal. Either that or have MULTIPLE backpacks! Or the ability to craft a CUSTOM backpack by SOWING together multiple backpacks found in the environment. I had a 60 lb. backpack but was 30 lbs. overweight and allowed to continue moving, just no running. This could have been done a tad better.

I think the issue is your max 30kg limit, so what does it matter if its in a backpack or carry bag of some sort?

maybe you can quickly drop carry bag? to save your life or find or achieve something! who knows ideas I'm saying. thank you.

Though it would be cool if you could have two. backpack plus a carry bag of some sort. Would you want to drop one? arh

For more space vs weight micromanagement, TLD could use something like in Neoscavenger (another survival game from 2014, but very different to TLD).

That game gives items and containers a 2-D size with width and height. You drag and drop items into containers using an interface where the item's picture is shown and the container space is shown divided up into approximate squares (like graph paper, to act as a rough guide for the eyes). You can rotate items too to fit them in. When you open your backpack, you go straight to that screen visualising the space, and you can browse through things, shuffle them around and view their descriptions weights and conditions by hovering the mouse over them. I thought I'd find it clunky or artificial, but in practice it actually worked really well. Using it quickly became second nature and felt realistic enough to be immersive.

Not sure whether such a system would work well with different consoles or not though.

For more space vs weight micromanagement, TLD could use something like in Neoscavenger (another survival game from 2014, but very different to TLD).

That game gives items and containers a 2-D size with width and height. You drag and drop items into containers using an interface where the item's picture is shown and the container space is shown divided up into approximate squares (like graph paper, to act as a rough guide for the eyes). You can rotate items too to fit them in. When you open your backpack, you go straight to that screen visualising the space, and you can browse through things, shuffle them around and view their descriptions weights and conditions by hovering the mouse over them. I thought I'd find it clunky or artificial, but in practice it actually worked really well. Using it quickly became second nature and felt realistic enough to be immersive.

Not sure whether such a system would work well with different consoles or not though.

Sort of like tetris. :P But yeah, I was thinking something like this as well, though my inspiration for the idea mostly comes from Diablo. You can't rotate items in the inventory in Diablo though.

Archived