Things to do

Lovehandel

I was trying to find something to do in game last night because all of my food space was filled, had all the pelts I need for this run through, so I really just wanted something to make me go outside.

So I thought: Why not have buildings degrade (rate based on time occupied). Then I could go harvest a burned down cottage,(or other building) and repair my base.

Failing to maintain you base could result in you waking up with no roof or wildlife entering through a damaged door, or maybe even burn down if I don't harvest a new pc of chimney from another building.

This would make me get out between hunting and exploration runs.

How does a building degrade based on if someone is living in it or not?

If a house degrades in the woods, does it need repairs if no one lives in it ?

Seriously though the answer to your question is, the difference between heating an uninsulated building and not is significant. Ice build-up coupled with high winds would lead to many problems with the roof siding windows and doors.

Sorry guys, I still don't get it.

Lovehandel, you said, why not have buildings degrade (rate based on time occupied). So at the start of the game, all building degrade equally, not at all, until you enter one of them, because you have occupied all houses for zero amount of time. Then you enter one, how does the building or Nature know you entered it, so it can start degrading?

From what I understand, making a fire inside makes the difference. But that's not based on time occupied, it's based on time elapsed with a fire burning.

From this I understand that the only way to slow down a building's rate of degradation is to have a fire burning inside it. Did I get it right?

If so, all buildings should start degrading regardless of how much time you spent in them, zero at the start of a game, and you'd slow this down by making a fire. Right?

Heating the building would cause the accelerated problems.

When you heat a poorly insulated building in the winter, the snow melts, runs to the roofs edge, freezes, then backs up. This causes leaks and can cause significant roof damage. It can also get behind siding and the window and door flashings.

Still I don't care if they all degrade, as long as you harvest from one to repair another, it would give a reason to brave the elements.

I'd like to find a wolf cub to raise, getting kind of lonely. dont worry, wouldnt feed it wolf meat. and I'd like to catch some live rabbits to breed. got to build an enclosure of cause. and gather grass or whatever to feed them with. and I should probably try to build a robot girlfriend out of scrap metal :?

Why would you want a robot girlfriend ? She would be nice at first, then just keep telling you what you're doing wrong.

"Steve, don't go out without your rifle again."

"Steve, why are you wearing THAT jacket with those pants?"

"Steve, if you smash another can of peaches on our counter you're sleeping outside."

"Steve, if you come home with one more beanie I'm going to start lighting them on fire."

"Steve, why are you carrying three hatchets. What on earth do you need three hatchets for?"

Anyway. For the on topic thread. I don't think having to worry about a house degrading would be a positive addition. You'll either see survivors just swapping through cabins or keeping the house BARELY in shape and it just becoming another thing you have to worry about. However, it WOULD be cool to have to do repairs on houses if you intend to make it your base, such as boarding up windows, fixing your roof, door, etc. It would be a nice compromise.

actually, having all houses degrade would be awesome. Give the flimsier structures 3 months of "up time" and increase from there. Repair the structures you want, nature will reclaim the rest. Also, you should visit all the interiors you want to loot before they fall down...

However, this would require a huge amount of changes from the devs - we would need a sled to carry building materials to whichever structures we have chosen to repair, balanced repair mechanics, new tools to find, and it would really make it a different game.

I would vote for this, but if it's not in the direction Hinterland is moving, I highly doubt we'll see it.

+1 for the robot girlfriend. Required to craft:

18 scrap metal

1 thin wool sweater

2 cans of pinnacle peaches (empty)

1 jeans

10 cedar wood

1 running shoes

Takes 20 hours, and uses the knife (to carve the wood into hands & face). Then, whenever you enter the room, the male character can use a horrible falsetto to nag himself to do stuff. Make her place able like the lantern.

Personally, I think the potential humor dialogue and general satirical air of a craftable roommate would detract from the experience. But in the spirit of the knee-slapping sexism going on in here, have some from the opposite pole:

Female character makes her own surrogate boyfriend.

Comes home from a long day of exploration/hunting.

*disgusted noise* "Goddamit, Wilson, I work and I work, sun up, sun down, and you just sit there. When are you going to get your scrub arse off that couch and wash a dish?"

:lol:

Seriously, I would like to see things like readable books that might increase your repair or crafting skills (or whatever other skills are placed in the game). This would give the books a potential second utility to compel you to hold off on burning them until you finish reading. I only see this as being useful in early-game stages, though. The repair skill rises quickly, books or no books.

I'd like expanded crafting as an answer to this problem, myself. There are many options for the materials already in the game: tents, shelters, traps, melee weapons, snowshoes, curing racks, rope. Building a sled for large objects or carcass relocation is a great idea, whether or not we have to worry about rebuilding our bases. +1 from me.

Or, as an alternative to house degradation/building new houses, perhaps putting hours and materials into "improving" your chosen base could make some beneficial interior and exterior changes. For example: repaired cabinets = more storage space, fogged-out windows become usable windows, cellar storage bins decrease food spoilage rates, that jerkwad Pleasant Valley upside-down chair turns rightside-up so you stop tripping over it in the middle of the night, the creepy and useless baby cradle becomes bland and useful firewood. Rustic door barricades and security mechanisms are appealing options when you factor in the approach of wandering NPCs, too. Let me jam some wood planks over my doors and sleep in peace!

The ability to salvage scrap metal from cars and certain interiors would be useful in this regard, too. Always seemed a little funny to me I couldn't throw in my towel, give up on being rescued, accept my new hermit life, and smash down that radio.

Personally, I think the potential humor dialogue and general satirical air of a craftable roommate would detract from the experience. But in the spirit of the knee-slapping sexism going on in here, have some from the opposite pole:

Female character makes her own surrogate boyfriend.

Comes home from a long day of exploration/hunting.

*disgusted noise* "Goddamit, Wilson, I work and I work, sun up, sun down, and you just sit there. When are you going to get your scrub arse off that couch and wash a dish?"

:lol:

Seriously, I would like to see things like readable books that might increase your repair or crafting skills (or whatever other skills are placed in the game). This would give the books a potential second utility to compel you to hold off on burning them until you finish reading. I only see this as being useful in early-game stages, though. The repair skill rises quickly, books or no books.

I'd like expanded crafting as an answer to this problem, myself. There are many options for the materials already in the game: tents, shelters, traps, melee weapons, snowshoes, curing racks, rope. Building a sled for large objects or carcass relocation is a great idea, whether or not we have to worry about rebuilding our bases. +1 from me.

Or, as an alternative to house degradation/building new houses, perhaps putting hours and materials into "improving" your chosen base could make some beneficial interior and exterior changes. For example: repaired cabinets = more storage space, fogged-out windows become usable windows, cellar storage bins decrease food spoilage rates, that jerkwad Pleasant Valley upside-down chair turns rightside-up so you stop tripping over it in the middle of the night, the creepy and useless baby cradle becomes bland and useful firewood. Rustic door barricades and security mechanisms are appealing options when you factor in the approach of wandering NPCs, too. Let me jam some wood planks over my doors and sleep in peace!

The ability to salvage scrap metal from cars and certain interiors would be useful in this regard, too. Always seemed a little funny to me I couldn't throw in my towel, give up on being rescued, accept my new hermit life, and smash down that radio.

You sir, Just earned a cookie. *Hands you a fresh hot cookie* Hope you create more ideas like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived