Bow aiming??

Fodd

As far as feathers are concerned, just remember where the dead bodies are in the map. Every few days there should be more feathers around the corpses, they respawn so you kind of just have to hit the same spots every week or so, but there are several corpses on each map.

In regards to aiming, I can't help too much. If there is any trick to aiming the bow, I don't know it, but I do know there are a couple of youtube videos of people showing off with bow shots, perhaps they will get into it more.

a good idea is to practice shooting at trees just so you get a sense of how it handles, in my experience it's mostly about timing. My understanding is that when you draw back, you are going to aim exactly where your pointer was, the problem is that your aim begins to sway nearly immediately, so timing is key.

I tend to get a good amount of hits with bows, but I strictly hunt wolves with them, and allow wolves to bring down everything else for me (rabbits, deer) and I continue to use a rifle for bears, although I know others have brought down bears with the bow. Hunting wolves with the bow is very easy, due to the fact that if they just got a kill, they'll let you get pretty close before coming after you. You can also use a decoy to keep a wolf distracted, and you can stand literally five yards away from it while it's distracted.

[bBvideo 560,340:2ywozw8q]

[/bBvideo]

Maybe you would like to check this or similar videos on my channell,to get idea,how to aim and shoot.It needs alot of practice( you can also practice shooting into wall of any building,from different distances,to get the feeling of aiming).

But,main thing with aiming is:

1.When you go hunting,take care of your fatigue.Higher your fatigue is,more will bow swing and harder for you to hit anything.

2.Best way is to point white dot first on spot,where you want to shoot,and then fast pull arrow and shoot(you do that using left mouse button= short press and hold,then release button for arrow to be shoot).In general you should aim a bit right and up from actuall target.With longer distances,derogation is higher,because of gravity.

3.To get best results,your bow and arrows should be in great condition.With lower condition of both,also precise hit drops down.

Note: In my video you saw I used flare.I encourage you to use drop decoy(press hotkey 4),when hunting wolves.That way wolf will slowly approach to investigate decoy and you will have enough time to slowly aim and do precise hit.With practice your feeling of aim will be better,no worries. :)

great tips and nice shot @denyo - I just need to find samplings in coastal map now. can't seem to find any this run. :(

[spoil]If you are searching for maple sapplings,there are two places in CH,where they can spawn.One place is above cabin at Rabbit`s Groove.If you go from that cabin towards road and frozen sea,don`t go down to frozen river,but go uphil and then right.You will notice saplings just in line with Bear Creek Camping ground,on opposite side of it.

Second place is near lone cabin,if you go from Fishing Camp uphill,where also bear spawn is and his cave.

In general,maple saplings may spawn in area where fallen tree is nearby.Those trees are kind of indicators,where maple sapplings can spawn.[/spoil]

Keep in mind that arrows unlike bullets are affected by both gravity and wind strength & direction. Meaning the farther away from target you are and the harder the wind blows (plus which direction blows from) you need to mentally adjust the trajectory of the arrow.

Also, you can sneak (crouch move) towards deers and then standup to almost pointblank shoot to guarantee a hit (not in their frontal arc of view of course). Patience is everything ^_^

Keep in mind that arrows unlike bullets are affected by both gravity and wind strength & direction. Meaning the farther away from target you are and the harder the wind blows (plus which direction blows from) you need to mentally adjust the trajectory of the arrow.

Also, you can sneak (crouch move) towards deers and then standup to almost pointblank shoot to guarantee a hit (not in their frontal arc of view of course). Patience is everything ^_^

[bBvideo 560,340:31hpoqb9]

[/bBvideo]

Like this,right,Anelyn? ;)

thanks @denyo but yet I managed to find both sapplings in the same place- lets just say near the end of the road. :)

As for the deer shot nothing special as it nearly runs you over before you shot it :) I seen some guy on youtube shoot one from 100yards away :) now that would be fun to do myself once I recreate my bow and arrows. also just found the bear i thought I shot and nearly died lol - was down to 2% health. Have had to remake all my clothes though thanks to the bear ripping me up like a rag doll. Anyways also managed to harvest most of him so was worth it and the experience getting attacked :)

For bow long shots you have to practice and will waste several arrows until you hit a target (especially if it's a moving one). Since arrows lose durability from simply being shot (% added depending what surface they hit) it's really not worth it if you really plan to get as much use of every arrow (and bow) as you can.

If bow / arrows had no durability (or you were able to have the option to resupply every couple weeks or so) then you could try all sort of crazy shots :D

Does the hit location of an arrow actually matter? I have yet to produce a bow and was wondering about it.

Yes! It absolutely matters. I'll let some other seasoned bow-wielding players give you more information if you're curious. I'm always hesitant to give too much away, even on the "small" stuff -- I love figuring it out for myself!

Does the hit location of an arrow actually matter? I have yet to produce a bow and was wondering about it.

Yes! It absolutely matters. I'll let some other seasoned bow-wielding players give you more information if you're curious. I'm always hesitant to give too much away, even on the "small" stuff -- I love figuring it out for myself!

Thanks. I have seen some freaky vids where it seemed the arrow was basically flanking a deer but still went down. When I know I have shot a deer in a better spot with a rifle and watch it bound away.

I'm no hunter, but I happen to know that a kill shot for a deer is actually just behind the front legs, preferably shot while the animal is facing 90 degrees away from you (so you can see their whole side).

I managed to shoot both a wolf and a deer in that location in TLD, and I was quite happy to see them collapse right away.

I haven't gotten a head shot on a wolf yet, but I saw ChillPlayer do it in his "how to hunt a wolf" video, it also looked like an instant kill.

I also flubbed a bow-shot once, and sent a wolf scurrying away with an arrow in his paw. It didn't seem to affect his running speed, but he came back for a bite of me in about an hour and a half, only to turn and run again (wolves seem to do this when they are at low health) and collapse, about 50' away from me. I even got my arrow back when I pulled it out of his foot!

I'm no hunter, but I happen to know that a kill shot for a deer is actually just behind the front legs, preferably shot while the animal is facing 90 degrees away from you (so you can see their whole side).

+1 for flanking attacks, because it presents a bigger and easier to hit target. With a wolf feasting on a dead deer/rabbit/decoy you can get pretty darn close side on if you approach from behind. About 5m is the closest I can get. Though if the wolf is spooked and attacks you won't have anytime to draw an arrow.

Be careful when hunting out on the ice (CH bay, ML's lake). Missed shots will ricochet off the ice and can travel some distance. Lost two arrows on the ice near the Waterfront Cottage's in CH because they had ricocheted off some ways from my target, I could see them sitting out on the thin ice. :(

Missed shots landing beside a wolf can actually scare them off a kill. Arrows can also ping off your target and land a few metres away...annoying when this happens. Arrows roll down slopes too.

• 2 weeks later...

"Practice" needs to be in quotes. The more I try the more I figure you just have to loosen up and not worry. I came up behind a wolf on a deer, was virtually point blank and still took FIVE shots just to hit the wolf and even then it wasn't a kill shot.

I think the thing is just not to aim too long. Pick your spot, usually up and to the left a bit with the white dot, and then stop thinking and let fly without "re-aiming."

I've watched the YouTube video of guys getting off shot after shot and it's unreal. I'm on my third bow and at best I hit something maybe 25% of the time - and almost always a fixed non-moving target. Very very tough to master. Each shot drains the bow, so you really can't afford to practice enough to figure it out. It would take hundreds of shots to get used to it.

Still, three shots is my average to at least a wound a wolf eating a deer if I get close - and to get both a wolf and deer for that seems fine.

One other tactic you can use is to keep the wolf still by dropping a torch in front of it. I actually got a one shot kill that way one time.

I play survival games because I suck at aim-and-shoot games anyway :)

• 4 months later...

Here's a situational kill that both impressed and amused me! :lol:

I was on the PV Farmland checking some traps near the rabbit activity in one corner, when I realized there was a wolf over the swale to my left. I crouched and peeked over. Lo and behold, at some great distance and at about a right angle, was also a bear, far away. It gave me an idea.

I backed out, stood, and ran a great circle away from the wolf until he was lined up with the bear. Then I just bore down on him and let a random arrow fly near him as I got reasonably close. Missed utterly, but he bolted - directly away from me and right towards the bear.

The line was so good he nearly ran into the bear. Even 100 meters away, I could hear him yelp when he realized what he was doing. He did a hard 180 and came straight away from the bear…and straight back towards me.

I just stood my ground and waited. As I nocked my arrow, I realized that he'd completely forgotten about me and was thinking all bear, all the time.

When he was about 3 meters away, I let loose on him…directly at his forehead. He went down like a sack of turds right at my feet.

Very satisfying kill!! :P

Archived