Sewing kit texture

octavian

Even after 500 hours I cringe when I see it since the usual texture quality is above average. But something went dreadfully wrong with the sewing kit, the perspective of the scissors in particular is uncanny no matter how you look at it as if it’s a secret tribute to Escher. If you asked me what’s the one texture to change in the entire game this would be it.

96x96-BillTarling.thumb.jpg.d62832a712c4

_sewingkit2.thumb.jpg.b78f4be01d4a480fad

_sewingkit3.thumb.jpg.c10caeb9a1da2032a2

I never even viewed it as simulating transparency, but now that you've pointed it out, I can't help but feel that's what was done, even though it might not be the intention, lol.

I've given the art and textures an even closer look after pointing this out and it's a little bit scary how above average TLD is. By average I mean there are a lot of talented people out there doing amazing work for a lot of games, but somehow the cel shading coupled with the artist's unique style makes TLD stand out for me. Sometimes the mark of exceptional is if this one thing would be different, everything would be perfect.

Actually the sewing kit as shown in the image is extremely common here... usually clear front, don't often see branding (that's usually on a cardboard wraparound while in the stores).

I might be missing what you were conveying about the image issue though... to me it looks pretty much just like the quick sewing kits here. I know texture to simulate or represent transparencies is tricky at best, but the image does stay within the artistic style as all the other objects, and readily recognizable. Personally I think it fits.

Actually the sewing kit as shown in the image is extremely common here... usually clear front, don't often see branding (that's usually on a cardboard wraparound while in the stores).

I might be missing what you were conveying about the image issue though... to me it looks pretty much just like the quick sewing kits here. I know texture to simulate or represent transparencies is tricky at best, but the image does stay within the artistic style as all the other objects, and readily recognizable. Personally I think it fits.

I'm pretty sure he's just commenting on the fact that it's meant to be a transparent cover, and since it's so difficult to actually replicate that, perhaps it would be better to just give it a solid looking lid. Doesn't bother me either way though, I never noticed it till now, and I still like it regardless.

Yes, it fits; I have no issues like with it not fitting within the style of other objects or it not being readily recognizable.

If you look at the first image, you are looking at the kit more or less straight down, but that is not how the scissors inside would appear when looked at from that angle. The perspective is off; the scissors exist in an impossible plane. Or look at the safety pins, how they appear, like everything else, embedded in the lid itself.

One drawing, one representation, one viewing angle, even if you want to give the impression of depth you will get said impression only when viewing from one angle. Imagine a drawing of a cube, shaded to give it depth, looking as if you can put your hand in the paper and grab it. Then tilt the paper at an angle. Does not look right anymore.

Because of the transparent lid my brain expects depth but it’s a flat texture where the scissors especially are drawn as if viewed from a magical angle you can never look from yourself to make them appear right. So, in a sense, I want the cardboard wraparound, figuratively speaking, the artist to glue a big piece of paper on the transparent lid, on which (s)he can draw anything, anything at all, all it matters is the brain no longer seeing it as something that should have depth. Because then it would be a drawing of: a drawing on a piece of paper glued to a transparent lid. Not a drawing of: a transparent lid and what's behind it.

I'm pretty sure he's just commenting on the fact that it's meant to be a transparent cover, and since it's so difficult to actually replicate that, perhaps it would be better to just give it a solid looking lid.

Ahhh, okay I think I understand...

Still, I go back to the artistic look (stylized so a lot of leeway for a lot of items) to remain consistent - but mainly I'm glad they used the transparent case type mainly because they are so predominant in this area, and readily recognizable.

Main thing is players so far seem to have been able to immediately recognize what the image was, so I think it works well. :)

Main thing is players so far seem to have been able to immediately recognize what the image was, so I think it works well.

It's functional, I'll give you that, but it's not very aesthetically pleasing. It looks fake as f*ck, which is kind of grating.

It's not a big deal as in that it kills the fun, it just breaks immersion every time you notice you're looking at a 2D paintjob of something that's meant to suggest a 3D image. At least that's what it looks like it's meant to be.

Archived