Area Map?

However, would that make searching/discovering too easy?

It would make things rather easy... As an example, new players who played without looking at a map took a while, but learned to get around quite well by recognizing landmarks, and learning where places were in relation to each other. It also meant a lot longer discovering and exploring (one of the biggest experiences in the game).

However once player maps were available online, most newer players didn't want to bother exploring, they wanted to know where all the secrets were right away. While there's absolutely nothing wrong with that (the game is good enough to still make it fun) they did miss a lot of the "Wow look what I found" moments which is a shame.

There's no need for ingame maps in sandbox mode - it's fairly fast learning the areas after playing a bit... and if really stuck, there are a lot of player made maps available online if needed. :)

Real area map,

I want a map, but to do it one would need to use cloth and rifle bullet powder to draw it. Then to draw it you need to be in the area and have it take a good amount of time to get an understanding of the place. another thing to do is to not have an icon to show where you are but focus on major landmarks to have a grasp of the place.

Real area map,

I want a map, but to do it one would need to use cloth and rifle bullet powder to draw it.

Pencils still work after the geomagnetic event :lol: --- if a mapping feature were to be introduced, there's no reason regular paper and writing tools couldn't be scavenged from various locations.

I don't know if it has been discussed yet or not, but the thought I had was, a person could find a piece of paper or use the existing newsprint and a piece of charcoal from one of their fires, and make a map as they go. That way you don't get all of the secrets up front, but you do get a ref. to remind you to go left or right at the next tree, if you have already been to the area. Just a thought.

Pencils still work after the geomagnetic event :lol: --- if a mapping feature were to be introduced, there's no reason regular paper and writing tools couldn't be scavenged from various locations.

True, I was focusing more with the items that were already in the game, plus making a map be worth a lot more. Heck, one could even use charcoal as a medium.

I don't know if it has been discussed yet or not, but the thought I had was, a person could find a piece of paper or use the existing newsprint and a piece of charcoal from one of their fires, and make a map as they go.

Then why not do it, you know, yourself, pen and paper :?

Perhaps a findable map and, separately, a compass.

I wouldn't want a "You are here" marker with the player's facing direction clearly marked, but a basic map and a compass for orienteering purposes?

I'm not entirely sold. Long time players know the lay of the land well enough already, and I like - as a new player - being thrown in with no sense of what's where and where I am (though you do learn quickly).

I would suggest that the map ought to be a rare pickup but then I don't know who it would serve; only the newbies lucky enough to have it spawn?

But I think I'd be more fond of that than a map that automatically draws itself based on where you've explored. There should be places that you miss on a playthrough, and that you shouldn't know you've missed. That sense of organic discovery is wonderful - whereas an auto-drawn map would leave obvious undrawn areas.

Being able to make a map of the places that you have been, in that current session would be amazing. I personally have not so great of sense of direction, so while I know I was in this area, and know that there was a shelter I don't know which general direction to go. Marking it on an area map that the character creates would make sense. Have it be something you have to spend time to do, like crafting. You take the time to do it each night before bed, then you'll know later how to get to that spot. I have to refer to the online maps, and even then I get lost. Its not something that I would presume the antagonist would have an issue with however, it is a me specific thing.

Archived