Need aim dot for bow and arrow shooting

toddajstewart

That would actually ruin a lot of the fun about the arrow (it would make everyone pretty much a marksman shot). While that may seem like a good thing right from the start (since it means you can now get meat very easily), it would defeat the feel by handing expertise, rather than learning to adapt.

The bow is tricky at first, but the thing to do is use a game (even if just Pilgrim mode) to craft one, and practice shooting. Whether it's aiming at a tree stump, a distant landing area, or the side of the camp office - practice so you get a feel for the angles.

The farmhouse backyard is also a great target practice zone - even just aiming for the snowbanks. Once you get a feel, there are usually some deer wandering around too - practice sneak mode hunting as well as long shot styles.

You'll find that once you begin to get a feel for the bow (just like you would need to do in real life when first learning to use it), you really get a mega sense of excitement once you start hitting your targets - because you know you earned it.

Note: when practicing, I find watching the bottom corner of the bow makes a great alignment guide ;)

Here's are some of the results from all the practice GELtaz has done (including some GOT style shots) :)

[bBvideo 560,340:a1jydm7x]

[/bBvideo]

You do get used to the bow relatively fast. At first I could barely hit a deer 10 feet in front of me, it was very frustrating, but I quickly realized that patience was the key. As you're watching an animal walk (or stand still), simply think roughly where it will be in 2 or 3 seconds, face that location, draw the bow, pay attention to it's sway, and shoot once it feels right. As for getting a handle on the drop, may take a short bit, but once again, I found it came relatively fast. Within about 20-30 shots with bows, I pretty much got the hang of it. Don't always get a kill shot, and often need to track wounded prey, but that just makes things more interesting I find. I've killed quite a few wolves with heart/lung shots too as they came rushing in my direction. Was likely more luck then skill, but being a bit more patient definitely helps.

You can unequip and equip the bow and the arrow should be visible again.

While I don't think an aim dot would be a good thing for the bow, I would like to be sighting along the arrow more.

I have shot with a bow and arrow a few times in my life and I hold the bow in my left hand, straight out to my left side, and draw the arrow back with my right hand to my right cheek. That way you're looking along the arrow so you can aim it. This doesn't mean you can aim it like the rifle by lining up the sights, but you can judge whether to move the bow left or right and up or down much better. You'd still need to practice with it to hit something, but it would feel more natural.

The way it is displayed in TLD it seems to me I'm holding the bow in my right hand and I'm drawing the arrow back to about my right armpit with my left hand. I don't think I could hit anything like that, nor would I be able to exert the same amount of strength (pull) on the bow that way.

I noticed something,whille I am hunting in CH on frozen sea.Wind does affect arrow alot. :) So it needs to be payed attention on wind direction,as well on strenght of it.Also,I am amazed on another detail,which devs put in, making me impressed once more.:) It is quite hard to find an arrow,if you shoot a target in distance.But,it is really challenge and fun,to go search for missed arrow. :) I never give up and I search so long,untill I find it.And many times it happened,that arrow was rolling on the floor,moved by wind. :lol: So,I found arrow mostly in quite different direction,than it should be,when there was a windy day.Funniest was one occasion,when i literarly ran after arrow,which was rolling and running away from me,moved by heavy wind,hahaha. :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is really so much fun and I love this bow hunting system. :) I would not like to change anything,as Bill Tarling wrote already,that would spoil all the fun. :)

Just my two cents but please never give us a aim dot for the bow. Using it should be a skill and hunting with a bow is a combination of art, skill, and at times luck. The first skilled kill with a recurve is some thing that I cant describe with any justice and joy that I will always have.

Archived