Bear defense spray

Dropy

LOT of folks carry it these days. Bear defense spray. Works really well on anything smaller than a bear also.

However I get the ides this game isn't gonna be modern day, rather it might be in the past I think. If it is the past of say....the 50's or 60's then bear spray is out.

It could be an interesting addition, though I suggest that an additional defense such as this should decrease the spawn rate of rifles.

I like the idea of additional weapons (like this, or crossbow, pistol etc), as they would add variety and depth to the game, depending on which you are able to find-- but, I think the overall number of weapon drops should be less than it is now.

+ 1 for bear spray/pepper spray or any similar non-lethal weapon! :)

It would be great to have the option to use these when you get jumped by a wolf or bear accidentally and the handfighting-mini-game starts. The spray could serve as a way to cancel the hand-fight (or cutscene in case of the bear) without losing much health or clothes condition.

I would prefer such a spray to be a very rare item (similar to the magnifying lens), though. More or less an emergency button in case of two wolves jumping you at the same time or if you stumble across a bear during a blizzard. It certainly shouldn't be a standart means of defence like a torch or flare.

+ 1 for bear spray/pepper spray or any similar non-lethal weapon! :)

It would be great to have the option to use these when you get jumped by a wolf or bear accidentally and the handfighting-mini-game starts. The spray could serve as a way to cancel the hand-fight (or cutscene in case of the bear) without losing much health or clothes condition.

Ah this is actually a good idea

+1 for bear spray.

But with two sidenotes:

1. If you spray into the wind, there is a chance it will blow back on yourself and this should have some serious consequences like (partially) blinding you for a time.

2. Bearspray can't be used while fighting a bear without getting it all over yourself as well.

+1 for bear spray.

But with two sidenotes:

1. If you spray into the wind, there is a chance it will blow back on yourself and this should have some serious consequences like (partially) blinding you for a time.

2. Bearspray can't be used while fighting a bear without getting it all over yourself as well.

As someone who has been certified to use tear gas, cs, pepper spray and cs-pepper spray.... none of it is good. Certification mean you have been hit with it. I have also taken part in numerous drills where we were sprayed with it while apprehending or riot control, so we could continue with our mission. It sucks. The first time I was hit with these irritants, I was pretty screwed up. Pro-mask confidence building aka the gas chamber is a whole lot of no fun. Doing the chicken dance after to get that stuff out of your clothing while snot is streaming out of your nose is not classified as fun in anyone's book. However, after being in the wind for CS more than a few times I was able to function. Ok, I functioned poorly ;) Getting shot straight in the face with a stream of pepper spray or cs-pepper is pretty damn bad. You are effectively blind, but that does not mean you cannot wrestle around in the dirt with someone. Getting cast off or blow back spray is not near as bad. On a suck scale, with getting hit in the eyes with cs-pepper being a 10, getting blow back is about a 4.

I say all this because if we do suffer the effects of blow back, which would be freaking spot on, it is not the end all. I think the character's avatar should have some pretty choice words, get blurry vision and have their walking/running turn into a stumbling kind of stagger. The actual treatment for this is running water over your eyes to get out the irritant and letting the wind disperse it. A full on hit take about 30 minutes to an hour to get clear of with no treatment. Treating it usually cuts it in half. Getting blow back takes about half a log to get rid of. Water to pour over your eyes with blow back almost completely negates the effects in minutes. However, we are talking about pour water over your face in winter. So, hmm.

For game effects, I would have blow back hit the avatar with:

1. Blurry Vision - lasts for 30 minutes

2. -10% Health

3. Reduce movement speed by 25% - lasts 30 minutes

How to heal it:

1. Time - Wait an hour. This does not remove the negative health effects.

2. Water (the equivalent of one water bottle) - knocks 15 minutes off the duration but leaves the player partially wet. Using another water bottle would reduce the effects another 15 minutes and make the avatar more wet. This does not remove the negative health effects.

3. Pain Pills - remove the negative health effects

4. Resting - Cure negative heal effects as usual

You will be feeling the sting of a direct spray for hours with pain upon touch, sensitivity to light, and some skin discoloration.

As a warning to all you: don't rub the affected areas when hit with an irritant. It just drives it in. These irritants are oils, so you need to break apart the oil to get it off. We actually use a salt packet from an MRE to rub over the skin (to break up the oil) and then poured water. This is the reason why salted chips help take the sting out of some salsa. You get a spicy hit of salsa, just lick some salt. Of course, you can't do these to your eyes or sinus passages. Never tried a Nettie Pot after getting hit, but that might help.

Great info AmericanSteel! I've managed to get bear spray in my eyes before (much to the amusement of my students!). It was just a tiny spray while I was putting away spent cans after a hands on demonstration. But, even that was very uncomfortable and I have no interest in trying more!

I saw a pretty funny video that is related --- the guy doesn't use bear spray in it, which comes out of a bigger can, in more of a cone shape than a stream. I think this was pepper spray designed to deter/disable people-- It would have *similar* effects--though his whole face would be covered rather than just the eyes! Anyway, pretty amusing :)

[bBvideo 560,340:20kc2anu]

[/bBvideo]

From my experience eating chilli dont you also get exhausted? I mean your immune system (or whatever defensive system it is) gets on high alert and tries everything it can to get rid of the foreign objects.

From my experience eating chilli dont you also get exhausted? I mean your immune system (or whatever defensive system it is) gets on high alert and tries everything it can to get rid of the foreign objects.

With foods your body releases endorphins when exposed capsaicin (what makes peppers hot). It also does this to a smaller degree when exposed to the nose and eyes. Just like your body does when exposed to fire! Hence the high people attribute when these junkies chow down on spicy (hot) foods. People can actually become accustomed to the heat and need more and MORE heat to get the same impact. A good example is people who eat lots of Thai food. Food that I can barely eat, my wife heaps more peppers upon. The compounds are the same, she has just built up a resistance. I knew more than a dozen people back in the army who were resistant to pepper spray. I mean you could empty a can on them and it had almost no effect (I lost more than a few $20s to this). However, CS is something you are resistant to or not, period. There is not build up. You just to use to dealing with the effects and mitigate the shock value. I have seen three people in my entire military career who were immune to CS: one a female drill sergeant in Basic training, one a female soldier in my unit at Ft Carson and one a male sergeant in Panama. Also there is not endorphin release for CS. Just like there is no endorphin release for mustard gas. It is a chemical weapon. The chances of you being immune to cs-pepper spray is pretty damn small. I have never seen it or knew anyone who knew anyone that was immune.

I don't know anything about your body going to overdrive to expel the compounds. Your eyes water (to wash out the irritant) and your nose runs (again to get rid of the irritant). Some people begin to experience air way issues, which is why people who have asthma are a no-go in the military. Getting exposed to CS should not kill you. People who are more susceptible to CS and/or pepper spray will begin to hyperventilate and start swallowing air. This causes them to burp, maybe vomit and/or have a panic attack. Anyway, after hitting the gas chambers we did a 12 mile ruck march back to the barracks. So, I don't think I would say we were exhausted after exiting the area. I would say we were relieved to get away and out of those BDUs :lol:

Great info AmericanSteel! I've managed to get bear spray in my eyes before (much to the amusement of my students!). It was just a tiny spray while I was putting away spent cans after a hands on demonstration. But, even that was very uncomfortable and I have no interest in trying more!

I saw a pretty funny video that is related --- the guy doesn't use bear spray in it, which comes out of a bigger can, in more of a cone shape than a stream. I think this was pepper spray designed to deter/disable people-- It would have *similar* effects--though his whole face would be covered rather than just the eyes! Anyway, pretty amusing :)

[bBvideo 560,340:1fkqp1qy]

[/bBvideo]

Just watched the video and he closed his eyes, both times. Sissy! That said, I like his shooting rig. Nice weapon.

We had to give the 100 yard stare and get blasted.

Archived