bee hives in trees or in bee boxes on the farm.

caverdude

I would say the most reasonable find would be the hives in boxes on the farms, could be raided for honey and wax. Yes I know there is a bit of processing to separate the honey and wax and all. I'm not sure how much honey there is in the hives in winter. I do know the bees are very slow and docile and will probably die because you disturbed the hives. PS a Bee hive in cold country might be insulated with something black to cause them to absorb more solar energy.

Honey combs makes a great bear bait. Place bait then get in blind and wait. Wax is good for many things but making candles for sure.

I don't see where bee keeping would play a pertinent part of the winter survival story - aside from that fact that it's not likely to be a huge commerce given we're in the far northern region mainly consisting of forestry and fishing. Or do you mean simply adding bees in as a random activity?

Sorry if I'm missing something - I just don't see the connection between winter bee keeping and the story :|

I don't see where bee keeping would play a pertinent part of the winter survival story - aside from that fact that it's not likely to be a huge commerce given we're in the far northern region mainly consisting of forestry and fishing. Or do you mean simply adding bees in as a random activity?

Sorry if I'm missing something - I just don't see the connection between winter bee keeping and the story :|

Bee's overwinter. The farmer who had that orchard might also be keeping bees.

I don't mean a scenario - I mean what value does a random bee keeping place have within the story or survival area? Like I said I might be missing something, but it sounds sort of like just dropping in a random activity that wouldn't normally be suited the the winter survival or area or even the locale where the story takes place.

I don't mean a scenario - I mean what value does a random bee keeping place have within the story or survival area? Like I said I might be missing something, but it sounds sort of like just dropping in a random activity that wouldn't normally be suited the the winter survival or area or even the locale where the story takes place.

Honey? A high energy food? Candles, bait. Though deer meat and fish also make good bear bait.

I think it's a bit of a myth that honey is good bear bait.. Bears eat anything, and have an extremely good sense of smell, so smelly things tend be good bait, like meat (blood) and fish mentioned above--both of these are used when baiting hair collection stations for bear research. Honey's not particularly smelly.

Anyway, bee boxes could plausibly be present around the farm. But that would likely be the only place, so I'm not convinced they would be worth adding..

You could have a nest inside a house somewhere, and then in order to use the house you first have to clear the nest

I agree with toebar... I'm not convinced it gives the game any relevant play value for the current game location and scenario. I suppose there could be a bee reference somewhere if the studio wanted, but I just can't see them taking all the time and added programming costs to add in a bee farm if it's not already in their planned story mode.

You would likely end up having to give up other game functions or a map in exchange for the programming time. I simply don't see it adding any value to the winter version of the game... perhaps it might be something they'll look at when they get to the Spring or Summer editions of the standalone game sequels.

I don't see a problem with adding a hive out in the wild or a few boxes on the farm. One of my uncles had six boxes, mostly clover honey as we had clover in the field for cows. He turned the honey into mead. We raided the hives a kids to get comb (and got stung for it). However, a number of people kept a box or three with bees for personal gardens (one to two acre plots), plus all the wild berries that grow from spring to autumn. Most of them just used the honey for hot biscuits... which is a personal fav of mine with fresh churned butter. Yum!! I don't know how common they are in BC, but having a hive in PV or the Lake map would not seem unusual.

That said, I believe the others are speaking to the return on the time investment in the game. Not the return for what the player gets. Once you break the seal and raid a box hive in winter, the hive is doomed. A wild hive might be able to withstand the attack. Lets just say this was a one shot loot item. Devs have to draw it out (lets say a box representation and tree hive representation), place them and then include the mechanics in the game. Considering the weather conditions, I seriously doubt the player is at any risk. Not like setting off a hive in July! BUT there could be a chance the player (who I would assume has no knowledge of bee keeping or how to harvest honey) could get lit up but hundred of bees. So, the devs have to include some sort of damaging scenario and how the player can get away. I could see a weakened player succumbing to the attacks and dying. So the devs do all this work, for a return for 10 lbs of honeycomb. The player could then harvest the comb for X amount of wax and Y amount of honey. The devs then have to give a use for the comb and all the crafting paths to include (candles, waterproofing, whatever).

Seems like a lot of work. Is it worth it? Dunno. Guess it depends if one of the devs has a sweet tooth or not ;)

AmericanSteel - I understand what you're saying, but my main point is (as I tried to mention to the others), a "bee keeping" or even bee hives in general would most likely be better suited for the Spring or summer gameplay rather than the winter version of the game.

Even though the farming hives wouldn't likely play a featured role in the very remote northern fishing and forestry villages where the game takes place, they could possibly serve a game function or purpose in the sequel... but for the winter edition, I'm still not convinced it's a strong logical addition [not when programming resources would mean taking time and efforts away from other needed game coding for this release].

I still (strictly personal opinion) think bees would be more logical for one of sequels which will be taking place during warmer seasons. Perhaps find a non-usable hive container [placed as the wood crates are done] as a tease towards the sequel games, but personally I would rather see all the hard efforts of the devs going towards the winter related gameplay activities rather than just throwing in a random activity that has limited function across all the maps that also isn't more seasonally related.

AmericanSteel - I understand what you're saying, but my main point is (as I tried to mention to the others), a "bee keeping" or even bee hives in general would most likely be better suited for the Spring or summer gameplay rather than the winter version of the game.

Even though the farming hives wouldn't likely play a featured role in the very remote northern fishing and forestry villages where the game takes place, they could possibly serve a game function or purpose in the sequel... but for the winter edition, I'm still not convinced it's a strong logical addition [not when programming resources would mean taking time and efforts away from other needed game coding for this release].

I still (strictly personal opinion) think bees would be more logical for one of sequels which will be taking place during warmer seasons. Perhaps find a non-usable hive container [placed as the wood crates are done] as a tease towards the sequel games, but personally I would rather see all the hard efforts of the devs going towards the winter related gameplay activities rather than just throwing in a random activity that has limited function across all the maps that also isn't more seasonally related.

Oh I am definitely not for becoming a bee keeper. Just what the player runs into once they come into the zone. I also don't think anything else should be sacrificed to code something like this. However, I don't know what exists in the grand scheme of materials or blueprints/recipes. Something like this might fall right into their wheelhouse or it could be WAY out in left field. Again, dunno. I leave that to them.

I don't know what exists in the grand scheme of materials or blueprints/recipes. Something like this might fall right into their wheelhouse or it could be WAY out in left field.

I figure if Raph adds bees to the sequel (which continues the storyline and game into the Spring survival season) he'll probably hide then in the outhouses or porta potties :lol:

I figure if Raph adds bees to the sequel (which continues the storyline and game into the Spring survival season) he'll probably hide then in the outhouses or porta potties :lol:

Why that, does he have an apitoxin allergy? That's really no fun at all - once I was on a public city bus when an elderly man (who was stung by a bee a few minutes ago) collapsed and stopped breathing. I'm glad a fellow student and me could keep the guy alive for about three minutes, until - thank goodness - an ambulance came. The paramedics gave him an epinephrine injection and he was standing on his feet again within minutes, like nothing had happened. But these were probably the scariest three minutes in my whole life.

Archived