canceling a fire

now i'm not talking about a fire that's already lit, but the process of lighting a fire is long (without accelerant) and so i always look around for wolves or bears first, but sometimes 1/4-1/2 the way through i will hear a wolf growling at me...and i want to stop lighting the fire and run away or get to a safe place or shoot it. but instead i'm stuck with the only option to finish the fire which sometimes works and i can scare the wolf off, but most times the wolf attacks me
it feels weird that i can cancel drinking water or food part way through but can't cancel a long fire. i'd be ok with using up the match or tinder and just treating it like a failed fire

and if their is a way i would like to hear it, cause i'm on pc where my typical cancel is escape which doesn't work for it (unless it does work and im just bugged)

• Upvote 2

The only way to cancel lighting a fire on a PC is to Alt + F4 to  force quit the game. The fire will be cancelled, but so will the game, and you'll have to relaunch the game. You'll load in at your last save point before trying to start the fire. So you'll lose some time and some progress.

As I recall it was possible to cancel a fire starting attempt but then people began to commence the fire starting when a wolf was threatening then cancel it if the wolf moved off with no loss of materials.  The devs decided that if you're starting a fire [i.e. because of a wolf] you have to complete the action rather than "exploit" the starting of a fire and cancelling it as an anti-wolf defense action.  Seems unlikely that the devs would change that at this late date.  

I agree, I wish you could cancel a fire start attempt, at the cost of your Firestarter, tinder, and fuel. Since the fire does give off heat before it's lit, the fuel should be wasted if you cancel.