Faithful cartographer bug?

There is a issue in hushed river valley, on a couple of my saves i mapped out the entirety of it, but im always one area short. There is always a second mysterious signal fire for me to map out according to my survivor log. Of course only one of these spawns though, either northern one or southern. I can map out only one of those and If I try do to the same to the second, I will only add normal, nameless terain to my map. Any ideas?

20240525_141231.jpg

20240525_141220.jpg

1 minute ago, Leeanda said:

I've got the same issue too.. I can map both but not get them to register as done

Do you thing anything would happen If I contacted hinterland support over this? I have a run where I mapped out every single place there is to map out (not including far territory) and just this glitch kept me from getting faithful cartographer 

I'd always advise filing a report😊.      Whether it's already on their radar or not it's best to let them know anyway.

.  it's been around a while so hopefully it's in the next update

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, K3V038 said:

There is a issue in hushed river valley, on a couple of my saves i mapped out the entirety of it, but im always one area short. There is always a second mysterious signal fire for me to map out according to my survivor log. Of course only one of these spawns though, either northern one or southern. I can map out only one of those and If I try do to the same to the second, I will only add normal, nameless terain to my map. Any ideas?

20240525_141231.jpg

20240525_141220.jpg

It will correct itself once you’ve completed the rest of cartographer, at least that has been the case for me, I do full cartography on ever run and it always gets a check once I’m all done the rest of the regions 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Enigmaecho said:

It will correct itself once you’ve completed the rest of cartographer, at least that has been the case for me, I do full cartography on ever run and it always gets a check once I’m all done the rest of the regions 

Mine hasn't.. are you sure it works for you?    I've mapped everything on every map ,most twice just for fun but still it's saying it's not done.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

This has been a thing for a while. The list shows 2 Mysterious Signal Fires, but only the active (burning) fire will map with a location. If you've mapped both locations, sometimes the game seems to get confused until you try to leave HRV, and will then pop the achievement up (if the Signal Fire was your last location that needed to be mapped). Try leaving HRV and seeing if it shows up as mapped or if the achievement pops (24/25 locations in HRV)?

Edited by ThePancakeLady
moar words
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

This has been a thing for a while. The list shows 2 Mysterious Signal Fires, but only the active (burning) fire will map with a location. If you've mapped both locations, sometimes the game seems to get confused until you try to leave HRV, and will then pop the achievement up (if the Signal Fire was your last location that needed to be mapped). Try leaving HRV and seeing if it shows up as mapped or if the achievement pops (24/25 locations in HRV)?

I've been in and out of there a few times after mapping it again.its still 24/25...    

Annoying as I'm finally trying to get all the collectables for the first time together on a single run..  the buffers were awkward enough😁

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I've been in and out of there a few times after mapping it again.its still 24/25... 

Yeah, it will always stay at 24/25, but the achievement should pop anyway, if you have mapped every other location on the list (all regions).

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Yeah, it will always stay at 24/25, but the achievement should pop anyway, if you have mapped every other location on the list (all regions).

Oh I see.. thank you... It'll drive me nuts though😁

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Oh I see.. thank you... It'll drive me nuts though😁

Join the team of people it drove a bit nuts over the years, lol. 

The location that got me hung up when I did FC was The Old Stone Church- you need to stand at very particular spot to get the location label (or at least it did back when I got the achievement in 2021).

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Join the team of people it drove a bit nuts over the years, lol. 

The location that got me hung up when I did FC was The Old Stone Church- you need to stand at very particular spot to get the location label (or at least it did back when I got the achievement in 2021).

Lol...  

I did do it a few years ago too,but the only one I remember giving me problems was Milton basin..    

I do remember though that any that gave me trouble I just moved a foot or two then kept drawing.. I went through a lot of charcoal

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Thanks for the tip, ill keep it in mind. Im on a new run though so its gonna be a while before ill have every place mapped out... And still, im over in milton now and planning to move over to mystery lake very soon and im still at 24 mapped 1 to go in HRV 

This happens to me in half my runs so I feel like it depends on which mysterious fire site you map first. I always go through HRV the same way and I encounter the fire nearest the entrance first. So I'm beginning to think it matters if you map the "actual" fire first or second. My sense it that if you map the actual fire first it doesn't count the 2nd fire. At some point this week, I'll get bored and see if I can start a test run in HRV and check this out. If you've done FC and your achievement didn't pop and you don't want to do another run just to get it, there is a mod to access the developer console and you can add the achievement as a command line.

1 hour ago, Laxgoalie said:

If you've done FC and your achievement didn't pop and you don't want to do another run just to get it, there is a mod to access the developer console and you can add the achievement as a command line.

Which doesn't help people who are playing on a console at all, and IIRC most mods only work for copies of the game from GOG and Steam. Some of the mods are awesome, but they need to stop being offered up as the solution for everything here with so many players on the online forums not playing the game on those platforms.

• Upvote 1

Sorry. I'll stop offering solutions for the 60% of people playing on PC and just wait for Hinterland to fix this long known issue with Faithful Cartographer and others which are easily remedied by existing mods. And since apparently no one is interested, I won't bother to test if the sequence of mapping the 2 fires matters or not to counting the achievement. Maybe someone on console can do that instead. Cheers

13 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Mine hasn't.. are you sure it works for you?    I've mapped everything on every map ,most twice just for fun but still it's saying it's not done.

That’s so weird yes I’m sure, FC has a particular place in my heart after the years it was bugged from stone church not logging correctly so I make sure I do it every run, I map every walkable part I can reach even with the regions you don’t have to do for the achievement, this run was started in prep for part 4 and is the run that I finally got my 100% on every collectible/hidden item in game, maybe it’s console specific to Xbox?

16B7B42F-CE87-4EE6-B04B-91ACEA667F60.jpeg

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Enigmaecho said:

That’s so weird yes I’m sure, FC has a particular place in my heart after the years it was bugged from stone church not logging correctly so I make sure I do it every run, I map every walkable part I can reach even with the regions you don’t have to do for the achievement, this run was started in prep for part 4 and is the run that I finally got my 100% on every collectible/hidden item in game, maybe it’s console specific to Xbox?

16B7B42F-CE87-4EE6-B04B-91ACEA667F60.jpeg

It could just be Xbox,but thank you..    I've got to go to HRv again for the last memento note so I might try mapping both signal fires again....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Laxgoalie said:

This happens to me in half my runs so I feel like it depends on which mysterious fire site you map first. I always go through HRV the same way and I encounter the fire nearest the entrance first. So I'm beginning to think it matters if you map the "actual" fire first or second. My sense it that if you map the actual fire first it doesn't count the 2nd fire. At some point this week, I'll get bored and see if I can start a test run in HRV and check this out. If you've done FC and your achievement didn't pop and you don't want to do another run just to get it, there is a mod to access the developer console and you can add the achievement as a command line.

If I manage to map out everything though, but I dont get the achivement, could I send a message to hinterland support? Just curious on what they would do in that situation

There's no reason to not send them a bug report via the support portal. It's a definite bug as HRV only has 24 sites to be mapped (and only one mysterious fire). You can see this from the journal before you start mapping anything. There should not be a second mysterious fire to map, so the 25th location is extra. Before someone explodes, this is for me on a PC. I apologize in advance if this doesn't apply to your particular gaming situation. If you are not on PC and don't want to repeat a run just to get the achievement, about the only way it will get fixed is to have Hinterland resolve the issue. Once you've mapped all the other regions, you should double check to see if the achievement pops. It may be coded to the total number of expected locations (215) and may not care that you are missing an "extra" site even though HRV is technically not done due to the second mysterious fire location. However, IIRC when this last happened to me, the journal listed a total of 216 locations instead of the usual 215. However for the purposes of the achievement, 215 might trigger it.

Please keep things civil all....  We all have the same issue .

@K3V038  please file a report if it's not working as intended..  they prefer that people file  reports as it shows the amount of people having the issue and helps them see and work out what is causing the issue..    the more info they get ,the better.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Leeanda said:

It could just be Xbox,but thank you..    I've got to go to HRv again for the last memento note so I might try mapping both signal fires again....

Have you gotten the Polaroids in hrv, idk if it would make a difference but maybe that has something to do with it since they have a set list of locations they reveal? Anyway good luck hopefully they just take the occums razor approach from bug reports and make both fires spawn so you can map them 😂

8 minutes ago, Enigmaecho said:

Have you gotten the Polaroids in hrv, idk if it would make a difference but maybe that has something to do with it since they have a set list of locations they reveal? Anyway good luck hopefully they just take the occums razor approach from bug reports and make both fires spawn so you can map them 😂

Yes I have done all the Polaroids, according to the page anyway...  I haven't actually mapped forsaken or zoc  though..  

But thank you,if I can get into both areas I'll try that.

On 5/26/2024 at 11:12 AM, Leeanda said:

Yes I have done all the Polaroids, according to the page anyway...  I haven't actually mapped forsaken or zoc  though..  

But thank you,if I can get into both areas I'll try that.

Ok so weirdly enough I started a new run this weekend in prep for part 5 just a basic voyager go to play with the kitty anywho doing my normal routine of going to grab the satchel and map out hushed river I decided to snag the Polaroid and see about if it would check off both signals only to discover my journal in this run only has 24 locations and only one signal fire!? 

As noted above the number of locations is 24 in HRV and the total expected for FC is 215. With this bug it becomes 25 in HRV and the expected total expands to 216. If you have not gotten the actual achievement before I don’t know whether it is triggered once you reach 215 (as expected) or not. If it is, “missing” and extra location may not matter for the achievement purposes. It would just be annoying for those who are completions with 215/216 locations if you can’t get the 2nd fire to trigger.