Crafting or recharging gas mask canisters

Having completed the Langston Mine exploration, I'd like to return and explore it more thoroughly at leisure. But that seems unlikely as I only have 2 or 3 canisters left . I was hoping HL would add a crafting or repair functionality. I think I destroyed most of my expired canisters (by putting them into containers) so simply using charcoal to revitalize cartridges might not be enough for me.

HL is far more clever than I but here's some thoughts: One scrap metal and three charcoals to craft a canister at a forge (heavy hammer required). Or perhaps craft the metal shell at a forge and fill it at a workbench? Three charcoals to recharge an existing canister at a workbench. Maybe require a hacksaw to open an empty canister? Perhaps cloth required as well to wrap the charcoal? 

But then canisters might be available in the future from the Trader.

• Upvote 5

Have you explored other areas of GBI?  Also, there are actually very few areas in which canisters are needed.  You can safely run through most of them.  I fully explored the mines are used maybe 3 or 4 canisters.

Yes, running works, especially if traveling lightly. 
The questions is what you can do if you want to explore the gas contaminated zones, not just run fast past them. 
If you want to explore those zones in detail it becomes a lot more tricky.

I would love to have the canisters cartable too.  
Maybe that would adding contamination gas in a lot more places too ;) 

On 1/13/2024 at 8:17 AM, Pfe said:

The questions is what you can do if you want to explore the gas contaminated zones, not just run fast past them. 
If you want to explore those zones in detail it becomes a lot more tricky.

It does.  What I did was sprint through to find the fresh air.  I then knew how much time I could explore the gas area before retreating to the fresh area.  Rinse and repeat.
Just an option.

• 3 weeks later...

I love this idea! They run out so fast with normal use that it makes the mines feel like a one-and-done experience. Finally having another use for the tin cans and charcoal would be great — I wouldn't even mind if you had to trek to the milling machine or a forge to make the canisters. The challenge would balance things out a bit, while also extending gameplay.

• Upvote 2