I know it’s been asked to death, but, Binoculars

Enigmaecho

haha, fair enough.  The main problem I can think of is that it might be difficult to make it look detailed at all, due to the rendering distance system.  But I have seen games that increase detail and rendering distance when you zoom up, so it's possible, but maybe not with the unity engine?

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Third Try said:

haha, fair enough.  The main problem I can think of is that it might be difficult to make it look detailed at all, due to the rendering distance system.  But I have seen games that increase detail and rendering distance when you zoom up, so it's possible, but maybe not with the unity engine?

I have no idea how the programming would be, there’s a slight zoom when you focus the rifle now but over a distance you may be right, I’m not sure though because the way draw distance is handled in tld is unlike a lot of games that only render a short distance, like you can see the drift cabin all the way from the airport on a clear day that might make zoom tricky but if they could it would just be so amazing lol

I'm also afraid that the programming, and even more, the execution of it could be very tricky.
Not only are further items not rendered, but I think there might be a distance beyond which movement is not even simulated, and only getting updated once we get close to it again. This would at least be a very obvious way to save on resources - and undoing it might be both a challenge in programming, and even more a potentially significant continuous computing power hike... (I am no game programmer though)

Seeing the above as the potential cost of adding binoculars, I'm curious what the benefits would be...
What would you be using it for in the game?

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/14/2023 at 1:40 AM, AdamvR said:

I'm also afraid that the programming, and even more, the execution of it could be very tricky.
Not only are further items not rendered, but I think there might be a distance beyond which movement is not even simulated, and only getting updated once we get close to it again. This would at least be a very obvious way to save on resources - and undoing it might be both a challenge in programming, and even more a potentially significant continuous computing power hike... (I am no game programmer though)

Seeing the above as the potential cost of adding binoculars, I'm curious what the benefits would be...
What would you be using it for in the game?

The issue of rendering isn’t there as I’ve already explained the long dark already renders the draw distance much further than a huge portion of games that already have a zoom, animations do as well on clear days you can easily see wildlife miles away and watch them move around and finally there already is a zoom function in the game on the rifle I am also not a programmer but I really feel like the difficulty in adding them is being greatly exaggerated zoom has been a thing in games since the 80s folks I think hinterland is more than capable if they want to do it but to answer the why, there’s a number of reasons both practical and for amusement, hunting or checking snares from a distance, scouting for wolves or bears or the cougar, sightseeing, potentially a boost to cartography 

• Upvote 2