Snares should work in Ptarmigan nests

JerimiahSettle

11 hours ago, James Hickok said:

Cool. 

Yeah snares are one of the worst ways of hunting an animal. They struggle for hours until they die. I would only do it if i were in the same situation as presented in the game in RL. 

I still hunt rabbits with stones - i dont know if its a habit or......it just feels better for me.

Ptarmigans on the other hand i use FHA even if im not archery 5. I only use stone if i dont have the bow yet. 

Correct me if im wrong - i dont play below loper. The insulation is actually the best warmth item to put in the accessory slot. Improved bedroll is the best bedroll to have - almost as warm as bear and just a little bit heavier than standard bedroll - for me its a WIN. 

Are there better items on Pilgrim, Voyager, Stalker? 

I also think the insulated items are probably the best addition to come to the game in a long time for any difficulty level.  On pilgrim or voyager, the additional warmth is not a concern, so it's not something that a person need bother with at all; but it doesn't hurt to at least try it out.

• Upvote 1

On 11/23/2023 at 5:55 PM, JerimiahSettle said:

@UpUpAway95 

You say you have no objection, yet here you are, trying to pick it apart. So keep that lie to yourself.

And...you mentioned realism, when this game IS NOT REAL, it even tells you that.

Also, how is catching to many Ptarmagans "OP"? First of all, if I wanna hunt down all the birds, rabbits, or whatever, I will. Second, their feathers are for two niche items (insulation and bedroll), both items of which, personally I rarely use as just better items are available for the two accessory slots ( Also third accessory slot!. And make downs be able to be broken down into feathers for arrows) Third, their meat is the same as rabbit really. You can make broth with it granted you have ALL the items needed for it. Maybe I'm missing something, but I fail to see how its game breaking. 

I merely postulated that a possible reason why the ptarmigans fly away after one shot and don't return to the area right away is that HL didn't want to make it too easy to catch them in large numbers.  Rabbits also run when you toss a rock at them, but they return almost immediately, so the ptarmigan behavior is already different from the rabbits.  I also realize the game is "not real"; but I also recognize that many people on this site have expressed a desire for the game to lean towards some realism. 

Also, I'm not "picking apart" your suggestion at all.  IF HL wants to add a snare, that's fine by me.  If they want to make the current snares work on ptarmigans, that's also fine by me.  If they don't want to do either, then I'm also OK with that.  If they want the snares to work but limit the catch to 1 ptarmigan per night, I'm also OK with that.  In short, I don't have any objections however HL decides to handle it.

• Upvote 1

On 11/24/2023 at 1:55 AM, JerimiahSettle said:

You say you have no objection, yet here you are, trying to pick it apart. So keep that lie to yourself.

Not that I need to defend @UpUpAway95, but I'm struggling to understand the logic behind the above line.
If I do not like pineapple on my pizza, and I express my opinion about it, while I am content with others liking it and having it on their pizza, how is that a lie...?

• Upvote 1